OP

MrSir

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
So most of the issues you seem to have is cosmetic. The diesel is no difference with cosmetic issues. Seems you have more against the brand, but want to like it. Good luck with your choice.

As for the diesel, I absolutely love mine. It's top off/half door season. Hearing the engine is music to my ears. I do mostly short hops around town, but drive it 100 mile round trip on the weekends which keeps it happy. The power is amazing. MPG's is amazing. Passing power is amazing (much better than the 3.6 I had prior).
My first Jeep was a 2017 JKU. Put 93,000 kms on it. ZERO issues. Great experience. The 2020 JLU had a lot of features I’m interested in prompting the move into it. IMO they tried to push them out too fast affecting quality. No vehicle should have to spend as much time in service bays and body shops like my JL has.
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
My 2020 JLU has been riddled with issues the past 10 months including the notorious paint blistering on the aluminum panels, quality issues including the broken vanity mirror, broken glove box handle, undiagnosed engine flutter on acceleration. And cracked trim along the hard top window, almost all covered under warranty, however I’ve lost confidence in it.
And if I pull the trigger on another Jeep, I like what I’m reading about the diesel.
and yes, everything has issues eventually. It’s the frequency that’s frustrating

Sell that pig and get something better. Life is too short to be unhappy with your ride. Best of luck to you, post pics of the upgrade.

Floriduramax3.0

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrngler Rubicon Unlimited 3.0td
I looked long and hard to get the latest model diesel and I didn't want a covid build. My build date is Jan 2020! It's an absolute blast! Someone mentioned they couldn't figure out why a diesel would be good in a Wrangler?? You must have not driven one. It is crazy how it crawls and how easy it handles 40's, both off road as well as how smooth and fast it is moving the raised brick 80 down the road with double the mileage my JKU got! There are "fixes" for some of the "systems" installed đź‘Ť

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
once i drove one i had to have one.
now that i've had it for a couple years, i can't imagine anything better for what i want to do with one.

range, torque delivery and mileage are unbeatable. (yes, the 392 makes a bit more torque, but at nowhere near the usable range for what i'm doing 99.9% of the time. anything battery-operated is not an option for me.)

are there problems? aren't there problems with everything?
people will talk about the CP4 pump failure as it's a known issue (and mine failed at 4100 miles), but i've had 25K miles with it now that it's been awesome.

worried about the cold? it seems to work fine for our northern friends, and for those who see extended low ambient temps there are grille shrouds.
worried about the hot? i've never seen an issue with many hours running mountains loaded at speed and altitude in temps at and around 100ÂşF. but i re-geared properly and don't have a bunch of stuff mounted in the airflow in front of the radiator. (when it comes time, i will replace the cheesy plastic-tanked radiator that i think is the root of the reported cooling issues with a quality aluminum version.)

bottom line, i think the diesel works in the J**p the way i want a J**p to work. you might too.

Looking for opinions on the 2020 JLU Diesel Jeep. Considering flipping my 2020 JLU for the 2020 JLUD.
Comments appreciated
James

OP
OP

MrSir

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
once i drove one i had to have one.
now that i've had it for a couple years, i can't imagine anything better for what i want to do with one.

range, torque delivery and mileage are unbeatable. (yes, the 392 makes a bit more torque, but at nowhere near the usable range for what i'm doing 99.9% of the time. anything battery-operated is not an option for me.)

are there problems? aren't there problems with everything?
people will talk about the CP4 pump failure as it's a known issue (and mine failed at 4100 miles), but i've had 25K miles with it now that it's been awesome.

worried about the cold? it seems to work fine for our northern friends, and for those who see extended low ambient temps there are grille shrouds.
worried about the hot? i've never seen an issue with many hours running mountains loaded at speed and altitude in temps at and around 100ÂşF. but i re-geared properly and don't have a bunch of stuff mounted in the airflow in front of the radiator. (when it comes time, i will replace the cheesy plastic-tanked radiator that i think is the root of the reported cooling issues with a quality aluminum version.)

bottom line, i think the diesel works in the J**p the way i want a J**p to work. you might too.
Great info thanks.

Sponsored

variableknife

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Sport S
Looking for opinions on the 2020 JLU Diesel Jeep. Considering flipping my 2020 JLU for the 2020 JLUD.
Comments appreciated
James
I ordered my 2022 wrangler with the ecodiesel and have absolutely loved it. In the first year of owning it I have put on 26,000 miles on it, and am getting 32-34 mpg on the highway. 29 in city. This is the reason I got it, because I do 90% highway miles.

OP
OP

MrSir

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered my 2022 wrangler with the ecodiesel and have absolutely loved it. In the first year of owning it I have put on 26,000 miles on it, and am getting 32-34 mpg on the highway. 29 in city. This is the reason I got it, because I do 90% highway miles.
Great to hear. I will primarily be using it on the highway particularly thru the winter and better mileage makes sense That’s sometimes 6 months of the year here in Canada. I’m not an “off roader” but travelling during northern Ontario winters can be treacherous especially backroads etc.
I have noticed diesel spikes per litre here in the winter months.
not sure if that’s common south of the border?

variableknife

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Sport S
Great to hear. I will primarily be using it on the highway particularly thru the winter and better mileage makes sense That’s sometimes 6 months of the year here in Canada. I’m not an “off roader” but travelling during northern Ontario winters can be treacherous especially backroads etc.
I have noticed diesel spikes per litre here in the winter months.
not sure if that’s common south of the border?
I'm from Northern Wisconsin, and the price of diesel is higher than gasoline. It usually averages about 50-70 cents (US) more per gallon here, which is roughly 25 cents per liter for our friends to the north.

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
2021 JLURD, all the bells and whistles. Ordered it from the factory the way I wanted it.
Love, love, love it. Bought it for daily driver/toy and toad for behind our 42' Class A diesel motor home. Diesel was just a good fit for us.
Loved the diesel from the 1st test drive I took in one. The torque and smooth power is addictive.
Tools down the highway effortlessly, climbs the hills with ease.
Off-road it is a beast, with no add-ons and stock (33.8") tires.

Maintenance costs may be a bit more, but then I am already doing it on our coach. Pricey filter and 9 quarts - HAH! Try a pricey filter and 7 GALLONS at each oil change (5,000 miles). Like any Jeep, the parts seem to cost just a bit more....

We have done mountain climbs, pulled a trailer, long highway runs, steep and HOT off-road trails. Run it through the winters. Never a hiccup, always ready to go.

As for derating due to heat on mountain pass climbs.... Look at the truckers, they ease off and slow down a bit. Take a tip from them. And like it was said before, don't block the radiator with "stuff" on the bumper.

I am at 39,500 miles. About to do my first "at home" oil change. (first 3 were free through Jeep Wave). Bought the oil and filter on line.

Drive one, drive another. Drive the diesel, the 2.0, the 3.9, drive them all. See what YOU really like.

Just my 2 cents worth.

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’ve had both, and while the diesel was nice, there were just a few too many quirks for my liking. Regens, additives, lack of stations everywhere.. having to keep a fuel adapter in the Jeep in case I needed to use a wider truck pump, oil change specs, etc… people parking at the diesel pump and going shopping when it’s the only option I have. Not such a big deal when they block one of 20 gas pumps at a Sheetz or a Quiktrip.

I went with it because mileage and torque, though I wouldn’t again as its just a little more to worry about. To be fair though, my work situation changed and my commute went from 14 each way on the expressway to like 2 on backroads, which diesels get a bit sad about. Went from regens every 600 miles or so, to one every 180-220 with that.

Sponsored

NickJar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RD
The only significant downside (for me at least) is that not all stations have diesel. That will most likely get worse as more companies drop their diesels.

It is, however, an awesome engine. See @ChuckQue's post.
True, the more remote you get, the fewer stations there are. However, as long as you're sort of close to where trucks travel, you'll be all good.
There is no way in a city you are getting 29. Sure doing like 50 without stopping… but with lights?

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I wouldn't trade my diesel for any other engine, the group I wheel with has a couple 4.0 LJs, a bunch of 3.6 JKs and JLs, a 3.8 JK and one 392, everyone comments on how my diesel just idles up everything. I get twice the MPG that the 3.6 guys get with the same lift and 37's.

TEAMSLO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURD
I came from a 21' Mojave into the 22' JLURD and have no regrets. I didn't have hardly any complaints about the gas Mojave either though.

I will say that the diesel is much more forgiving with its additional TQ when running bigger tires but I may still regear to get a little bit of that fun factor back. No issues in 4lo on any obstacle and hill even on 40s. Im back on 38s but for other reasons.

Only downside I see is there are differences on a diesel and when looking for specific parts, you are at times a bit more limited.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

True, the more remote you get, the fewer stations there are. However, as long as you're sort of close to where trucks travel, you'll be all good.
Good point. Fortunately (unfortunately?) we prefer to steer clear of the places where trucks tend to travel.
Sponsored