Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Love my diesel. You can run huge tires and not have to regear because there's just so much torque. I would highly recommend getting yours tuned if you go with a diesel - I'm making 392 level power while getting 28 mpg... It's crazy how efficient it is, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Sponsored

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
Looking for opinions on the 2020 JLU Diesel Jeep. Considering flipping my 2020 JLU for the 2020 JLUD.
Comments appreciated
James
If you've not test driven the diesel yet, please do so before you plan on purchasing it.

I think you will hooked on to the seamless power delivery and smoothness of it and never go back to gas again.

As far as maintenance and regen goes, others have commented to it here.

Is the diesel similarly equipped to your gas Jeep?

Good luck.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
After driving a diesel you won't be satisfied with the inadequate power from the 3.6 and almost adequate 2.0.

The expense is entirely worth it.

nsfw_andy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUR Ecodiesel
If you do any slow speed crawling on the trails, the diesel is amazing in 4LO, 1st gear.
Mine will just slow crawl everything where JL gassers in my group seem to struggle.

Downsides are:
1. All the emission related stuff that will put you in limp mode if something is wrong
2. Fuel Pump Recall with no fix yet.
3. Higher maintenance costs (pricey oil, filters, fuel filter)
4. Not all stations carry diesel, and then you have annoying gassers filling up at the only available diesel pump...

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Is your current ride giving you any trouble? If no problems then keep it.

Getting into another ride could be a bad idea if your current ride is problem free.

I bought a 2021 Ford ranger lariat FX4. In 9 months I went from 12 miles on odometer driven off lot to here is your POS truck buy back from Ford under lemon law. It spent 67 days at Ford for repairs for a Dana axle.

Donā€™t expect new to be problem free with any manufactured vehicle.

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Any recommendations?
As per the owner's manual:

ļ¬ In addition, commercially available fuel additives
are not necessary for the proper operation
of your diesel engine.

ļ¬ For extreme cold conditions, "Mopar
Premium Diesel Fuel Treatment
" is recommended
to assist with cold starting.

As for me, I have been using Stanadyne 38564 Performance Formula 8 oz Diesel Fuel Additive.

I have had zero issues with my diesel (39,000 miles) and I love it. The 442 lb.-ft. of torque is amazing. The diesel works great with the 8 speed automatic. No complaints.

OP
OP

MrSir

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Is your current ride giving you any trouble? If no problems then keep it.

Getting into another ride could be a bad idea if your current ride is problem free.

I bought a 2021 Ford ranger lariat FX4. In 9 months I went from 12 miles on odometer driven off lot to here is your POS truck buy back from Ford under lemon law. It spent 67 days at Ford for repairs for a Dana axle.

Donā€™t expect new to be problem free with any manufactured vehicle.
My 2020 JLU has been riddled with issues the past 10 months including the notorious paint blistering on the aluminum panels, quality issues including the broken vanity mirror, broken glove box handle, undiagnosed engine flutter on acceleration. And cracked trim along the hard top window, almost all covered under warranty, however Iā€™ve lost confidence in it.
And if I pull the trigger on another Jeep, I like what Iā€™m reading about the diesel.
and yes, everything has issues eventually. Itā€™s the frequency thatā€™s frustrating

Sponsored

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
So most of the issues you seem to have is cosmetic. The diesel is no difference with cosmetic issues. Seems you have more against the brand, but want to like it. Good luck with your choice.

As for the diesel, I absolutely love mine. It's top off/half door season. Hearing the engine is music to my ears. I do mostly short hops around town, but drive it 100 mile round trip on the weekends which keeps it happy. The power is amazing. MPG's is amazing. Passing power is amazing (much better than the 3.6 I had prior).

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
VERY intelligent answer, for me I ultimately decided the 392 offered the familiarity I wanted plus a lot more fun.

If the 392 wasnā€™t an option, I was fully ready to order a diesel, and Iā€™m sure I would have been happy with it(didnā€™t like the other options anyway).
X2- Having given up on a V8 Wrangler, and driving a 4R for 210 K mi because they offered a V8 in 05 I was waiting for diesel production to order because finally an acceptable engine with torque. Then the V8 rumors started about the same time. There was also the possibility that the upcoming Bronco would offer a V8 if Jeep didnā€™t. No problems, issues, or recalls of any kind on 21 392ā€“ sh!tty mpg an expected worthwhile fun trade off. šŸ˜Š

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
4. Not all stations carry diesel, and then you have annoying gassers filling up at the only available diesel pump...
100% this

Plus they always seem to just sit there with their thumb up their tailpipe.

oh, and just rolled over 30k on mine. Love it.

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
I think at this point if I couldn't have my diesel JLRU I would probably just move on to some other brand. The diesel is just absolutely terrific off-road, and awesome on the highway with all the torque.
The problems you listed having are going to happen on all jeeps as well as all the electrical gremlins that abound.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Get a gasser. Diesels are great for tow vehicles (have had several), but the current 2.0T and 3.6 have plenty of power and will cost much less over time. Gasoline engines have become more efficient while diesels less so because of emission requirements. As for which gas engine, both are fine (similar power), I'd probably lean towards the 2.0T, though we have several of both.
100% this ā˜IMO (OP asked for opinions, right?)
Diesels make great power, especially for pulling big loads with pickups. Wranglers are not tow vehicles, so, puzzling application for a diesel. And then there are all the emissions equipment that modern diesels are plagued with, it's mind boggling (thanks to the EPA).
In a small Jeep utility, I'll take the current gas offerings any day (especially my 3.6.... love it! šŸ˜‰).
Oh yeah, and hasn't the 3.0 been discontinued?
Sponsored