OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I appreciate your guys help. Still not exactly sure what it may be and without it snowing it's hard to trouble shoot it.

My guess right now is the fenders, but it's just a guess. I am going to add some more weather stripping around the hood and see if that helps.

Luckily, we are supposed to get a storm this weekend (winter never ends in Minnesota) so I should be able to try it out.

The weird part is that this only happens on longer trips. It seems to be that anything longer than about 30 or 49 miles does the trick, but anything under that and I don't get snow in there.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

I wonder if it's the issue another poster described. I've gone through two sets of factory fender liners in my 2021 JLURD. At highway speeds with a strong head wind the wind through the grill was pushing the fender liners out into the wheel and the wheel would chew them up. If that is happening to yours maybe the snow is being kicked up in there by the front tires or creating a low pressure area and maybe snow is being sucked in the front grill. My third set of fender liners they install are finally thicker material and so far I haven't had an issue with the new ones. If you feel the liners on a 392 or a gladiator you can feel a difference on how much more rigid they are than yours prob are.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Interesting. I think we may be on to something.

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I am really thinking you guys are on to something. Here are some pictures from the passenger side fender liner that appear to show some wear.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Rubicon Sucks in Snow 20230314_161502
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Rubicon Sucks in Snow 20230314_161507

I am going to try placing a gopro camera in the wheel well and taking the jeep down the highway to see if the fender liner is opening up.

variableknife

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Sport S
I have a 2021 JLURD that I purchased in June of 2021. In December of 2022, I was on a road trip during a snowstorm. During this storm, the engine compartment filled with snow until snow completely clogged the airbox and messed up the electronics in the engine. The jeep then spent the next month in the shop before they could get it started. The final verdict was that they had no idea how the engine bay filled with snow, but everything with the Jeep was fine.

Since then, I have found the engine sucking snow into the engine compartment a couple times. I have had different dealerships look at the Jeep and I always get the same answer. They always say everything looks okay and that they have never heard of this being an issue. Of course, the service appointments are always a couple weeks out when it is not snowing.

Today, I drove about 30 miles through a light snow storm, and the engine compartment is filling up again.

Anyone have any idea what to do? The dealerships always say everything is fine and they have never heard of this issues before. It sucks having a $60k 4x4 that can't drive in snow and Jeep can't fix.
Based on other questions and responses, I think my next move would be to take it to another dealership and get a second opinion. I have actually never heard of this happening before, and despite what they're telling you about their actions so far, bring along the photos you've taken and explain in detail the situation that's happening. I live in Northern Wisconsin, and we have deep snow and a lot of it; I also have the Ecodiesel and have never had an issue like this happen, and we have a few feet of snow on the ground.

Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Both my inner liners blew out with strong cross winds. I am in TX, so no snow, but they let all kinds of road spray shit i to the engine bay…. Exactly where you have snow.

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Adv_aw8s and Somedude922, you guys solved the puzzle i think.

I placed my gopro in the wheel well today. As soon as I hit highway speeds, the fender liner folds up exposing the engine. I am going to take the jeep and the video to the dealership and get some new fender liners.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Genius move with the GoPro! Hopefully they'll cover you for some new liners and that'll solve the issue.
Sponsored