First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Considering the JL was designed from the ground up to run 35s and both front and rear Dana 44 beefed up then wouldn’t it be logical that the diesel would have to be upgraded to Dana 60 for at least the rear and possibly front on Rubicon models. 400 plus torque with 35s with 4:10s and that 4:1 transfer case not going to put too much strain on the current M220?

Since it’s all about CAFE and diesels are considerably more efficient with weight than couldn’t an off-road purpose vehicle like the Rubicon get away with beefier axles that will handle that torque better yet still not negatively impact fleet mpg figures? I know I’m dreaming but since I am might as well dream big. JLUR with diesel rolling on Dana 60 and 37s out the factory door. Oh my. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Think AEV J8 component build without leaf springs and better auto trans.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
You are talking big league. Why not 40's? You could do anything with a rig like that..

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Speaking purely from out of the factory. More realistically the tires would still be 33s. Don’t see that actually changing for many reasons but all that torque I think warrants beefier axles.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I’ve been wondering about this also. I’d guess it will have a stronger rear axle with the 44 front on all diesels. The rear could be what’s on the Ram pickup. It looks like the Jeep pickup will have the same Ram rear axle.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
What’s under the rear on the 1500?

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy
The 1500 IDK, but I had one and it was tough. We used it to pull everything, including a car trailer a few times. This thing was sturdy and never had any issues with it. I have a 2018 Ford F150 4x4 and I liked the Ram 1500 Hemi better. And with the 8spd, it was decent with gas mileage. I used to be a Ford fan, but now Mopar all the way.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Half tons are running the C 235mm rear axle with a 3.55 ratio in the diesels.
Converting that to inches would be 9-1/4. That’s almost Dana 60 9-3/4. I’d be happy with that and likely not see reason to bump up higher.

I’m surprised only 3.55. I’m still trying to understand diesels and gear ratios. Understand they aren’t same as with gas but more importantly why it’s different.

ldstruckn

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 CJ7, 82 CJ7, 88 YJ, 2000 TJ, 2008 JKUR, 2012 JK sport
Occupation
VA Doc
axle gear ratios are for torque multiplication. The larger torque output of a diesel at lower rpm's means less torque multiplication is needed to accelerate the load. Think of it in terms of bicycles. If you pedal a bike up a mountain what gear would you put the rear into? Probably First gear. If Lance Armstrong in his prime pedaled the same bike up the same mountain as you he would never use first gear because he can apply more torque with his legs(engine) than you can. He would use a smaller gear ring/higher gear than you to get up the hill. The higher gear is smaller physically thus why you would use a 4.10 gear and he would use a 3.21 gear to climb the same mountain with ease/ lower rpm

Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Thank you for that explanation. How does that work at highway rpms? Guessing it’s still within the diesel’s torque curve so less gear needed and can still get by with less than 4.10?

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy
Sifting through a bunch of junk, I found that my Ram had a 3:73. It was awesome. I did everything and went everywhere. The sad part is, I traded it for a 2018 F150 and I regret that move. The 10 spd sucks and the Ram had better gas mileage with the 8spd. Oh , well. One day I will get rid of this F150 and maybe get a JT. Diesel, maybe...

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Subscribed. Looking for more info on gearing and axles to support the diesel’s torque.... and to support turning bigger tires!

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Just saw another poster place info on Euro jeeps in the MY19 updated and that claims the Rubicon diesel there runs on 3.73. Could that be a preview to our offering? Makes sense with other posts on this thread.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I read on this forum somewhere that the diesel will not have the 4.10, but something a bit taller? (Meaning numerically lower.) It won't matter. That thing will be a torque beast, so the difference won't be all that noticeable, IMO.
Sponsored