Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2003 TJ, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Towing my travel trailer down US395 I got the regen message. Regen completed then within 10 minutes another regen started followed soon after by a message: diesel particulate filter 100%, take vehicle to the dealer. Luckily it didn't go into limp mode on me, it finished the regen and kept running. I was camping for about a week so I took some long drives at highway speeds, didn't get any more regen messages. Took it to the dealer today and they did a manual regen and took the DPF from 68% down to 16%.

This is my first diesel. I tow a travel trailer with it and do a lot of wheeling. I did the first oil change myself and after realizing it was $150 in parts/oil, I decided to use the Jeep Wave oil changes. My Jeep tells me it's time for an oil change every 7-8K miles and I take it right in. I assume that is because of the towing, but not sure. I do a lot of highway driving, not a lot of city driving but some.

I think I'm down to my last Jeep Wave oil change--but I will probably start doing them myself to make sure the correct oil is being used. Besides getting some highway driving in and using the right oil, how do you keep from filling up the DPF? (I've got 37500 miles on it, probably 15000 of it towing)
Sponsored

Tharsis

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2008 Ford Ranger
The DPF is there to capture the particulate that the engine generates while it runs, the only way to not fill it up is to not run the engine.

It should passively clean itself when the engine runs under load for extended periods of time.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Use a low ash oil when you do the oil changes. See the sticky thread for approved oils.

Rotella is not on the list but dealer techs sometimes use it. That may be contributing to the DPF getting full.

One_off

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2d Gecko Gr + 2021 Rubicon 2 White
Towing you will definitely make more soot and regen more frequently. A run down the highway if a good thing as it let's it the regen process get good and hot for the full duration and cleans it out.

I don't have a jeep 3.0 but I do have a 2013 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel so I'm quite familiar with the process.
Sponsored