Diesel Lift Kit?

drit_diesel

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Diesel
Drit, whose front bumper are you wearing and would you do it again?
It's the poison spyder bruizer bumper.. love it.. easy to install. Waited for AEV rear but not sure that's happening anytime soon.. just ordered the LOD bumper/tire carrier.
Sponsored

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Can I ask what you do for a living?

I used to be in the trades and I like you, do almost everything myself. I'm thinking the difference is I kinda understand the high pricing. When people have work coming out of their ears, they tend to set a higher price for work. Or sometimes a job just doesn't make sense for less than xxxx amount of dollars. It sucks sometimes, but I get it.

I think we need to offer kids down to age 14 sometimes the opportunity to get into apprenticeships. That would get many more people a solid footing into the trades. By 18-20 years old some of them could be well on their way to becoming true craftsmen, with good paying careers.

The influx of new young and hungry tradesmen would get you a man at your door hammer in hand ready to work. They can still be licensed and certified where need be, but some of the......exclusivity (?) might disappear.

We need to make it easier to start businesses. We need more young people not afraid to sweat a little bit and work with their hands. And we need to make commerce easier for people to engage in, in general.

To me Joe, you sound like you're warring with yourself. On one hand you'd like to pay someone to do the job. But since you can do it yourself and understand the cost of the materials and install time involved, you won't let yourself 'pay too much'. If I have you pegged right, I'm in the same boat (sometimes). Often I can't see paying anyone to do anything. Hopefully I can let some of that go as I age. I am satisfied by doing things myself, but there seems to be an awful lot to do.....
Iā€™m in Cybersecurity - applied to spacecraft.

Youā€™re also completely right about being at war with myself. I lack the time not the ability to do the work. I canā€™t in good faith pay someone several thousand dollars for a couple hours of basic labor.

I learned a decent amount of plumbing, electrical, and general carpentry from owning rental properties and rehabbing houses. I understand overhead and the need to turn a profit. The math in my head tells me $100hr at maybe 2hrs for the job and an hour of travel. Letā€™s just call it a half day labor (4hrs) + material and haul away costs. $500 + $500 for the water heater itself. Even with a significant mark-up Iā€™m looking at no more than $1,200.

I wish more people were involved in the trades. Itā€™s respectable work, the bar to entry is low, and thereā€™s little chance of it being outsourced. Mike Rowe has it figured out.

Last edited:

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
It's the poison spyder bruizer bumper.. love it.. easy to install. Waited for AEV rear but not sure that's happening anytime soon.. just ordered the LOD bumper/tire carrier.
I have been waiting for the AEV Rear Bumper. About a month ago, they finally got part numbers for the rear bumper. They put me on the PRE-PRE-Order list. I am sure I will have it before Christmas...just not sure what year yet!

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
Update, Rock Krawler said they have a shipment coming in next Friday or Monday and then it should ship. Let's see what happens now!
New update Rock Krawler is a lying piece of crap...can't provide the truth. So, I beat the shop up and told them to refund my money and when they can get their $hit together I would consider using them if I didn't find another place.

Well, they found Evo Diesel springs and are going to use that with the Rock Krawler lift. So, they are eating the extra cost and my lift, wheels and tires is supposed to happen on Friday. I am not holding my breath at this point. It will be 2 months on the 23rd of this month.

I am waiting for light from KC Hilites...went through Northride4x4. Still hanging and 4 days short of a month...NOTHING.

I don't get why companies just can't be honest...quit taking my money and not delivering. What a bunch of dishonest slugs!

Sponsored

Drooler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon
Thanks to everybody for contributing to this thread.

Currently have a stick shift 2015 JKUR with 3.5ā€ AEV lift, 35ā€, steel skid plates and winch.

Looking to get a new JLUR. Was leaning towards the proven v6, but the 2021 model year forces one to get the etorque with the v6. Crap....

Mostly city driving and very little miles at that (5K a year max??). But I did make 3 trips out to Moab (20+ hrs one way from Chicago) and I think imma addicted to Rock climbing in Utah and the beautiful trails in Colorado. So maybe the 3.0 ecodiesel will be great engine to get.

As much as I love stick shift, going up some of the crazy trials in Moab off camber and with a sheer drop on one side is not a great feeling. Let alone stalling out halfway. So no more stick shift for me.

Hoping to put in a 3.5ā€ lift with 37ā€ (and full skid plates with winch). Thanks to everybody for sharing what you have done or are considering.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
New update Rock Krawler is a lying piece of crap...can't provide the truth. So, I beat the shop up and told them to refund my money and when they can get their $hit together I would consider using them if I didn't find another place.

Well, they found Evo Diesel springs and are going to use that with the Rock Krawler lift. So, they are eating the extra cost and my lift, wheels and tires is supposed to happen on Friday. I am not holding my breath at this point. It will be 2 months on the 23rd of this month.

I am waiting for light from KC Hilites...went through Northride4x4. Still hanging and 4 days short of a month...NOTHING.

I don't get why companies just can't be honest...quit taking my money and not delivering. What a bunch of dishonest slugs!
Tom, been a while since our yellow can club thread...

So, I have been working through the lift issue as well. Couple warnings here. RK diesel springs have a rate of 175 at ride height front and rear. From what I gather, EVO are much softer. I am not sure where you are getting shocks, but if they were with the RK kit they will almost certainly be valved for the 175 rate and may not work real well with the EVO springs at a different rate. If they are with the EVO springs they should be fine. Or maybe use the fully adjustable Falcon 3.3 or 3.5 give up the factory tune but at least be able to tune them somewhat yourself.

I almost went with the RK X-Factor myself but resisted and am waiting to see if I can shame MetalCloak into making a diesel specific kit....so far no luck.

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD, 1988 MJ, 2010 XK (Sold)
Throwing in a AEV 2" Spacer lift Tomorrow. will report back.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager

So, I have been working through the lift issue as well. Couple warnings here. RK diesel springs have a rate of 175 at ride height front and rear. From what I gather, EVO are much softer. I am not sure where you are getting shocks, but if they were with the RK kit they will almost certainly be valved for the 175 rate and may not work real well with the EVO springs at a different rate. If they are with the EVO springs they should be fine. Or maybe use the fully adjustable Falcon 3.3 or 3.5 give up the factory tune but at least be able to tune them somewhat yourself.

I almost went with the RK X-Factor myself but resisted and am waiting to see if I can shame MetalCloak into making a diesel specific kit....so far no luck.
Just got my rig done today! Went with the Rock Krawler 2.5 lift and Evo Sorings. They installed the Fox 2.0 shocks. They were supposed to be the Fox 2.5 remote reservoir adjustable shocks. Going back next week to replace the shocks. Also got the AEV Borah Beadlock Wheels and Km3s 37ā€™s. They didnt get the hardware for the spare. Apparently everyone is using the Corona virus for poor quality and shitty service!

doesnā€™t ride like stock and is much stiffer. That is per my wife and she is right. Hope to have the new shocks this next weeks and expect a better ride. $2,000 more so it better be better. Taking it off road on the 22nd and beat it to death!

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager

Almost forgot some pics. BTW, I like the way it rides and the Fox shocks should top it off! Got about $22k into it! Love the shit out of it and it is an off-road beast!

71AFDC13-FD8F-442B-974B-3284996AFF0B.jpeg

2C7C09D4-2D4B-497F-9DE4-087B25EAA591.jpeg

58293BE7-BA14-48D6-B365-C02C8E2671C3.jpeg

Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Almost forgot some pics. BTW, I like the way it rides and the Fox shocks should top it off! Got about $22k into it! Love the shit out of it and it is an off-road beast!

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Lift Kit? 58293BE7-BA14-48D6-B365-C02C8E2671C3

Wow...that looks awesome! Adjustable 2.5 Fox would do it, this is phenomenal shock. And love the look of the Borahs. I have been toying with going with MC components and then adding Evo or RK springs. Very interested to get your feedback on the ride once you have the 2.5s on. You haven't happened to be able to throw it on a scale and get post install front and rear weights have you?

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel

Hi Tom,
your rig is looking good. Iā€™m sure it performs just as well. A couple of questions:
Did you change the gear ratio or modify the axles? Iā€™m still on the 3.73 and keep thinking 4.56 would be a better ratio.

Love the AEV Borah. That is the wheel Iā€˜m using but without any rings and 37 KO2s. Does the rings make the wheels hard to balance? Has DOT, or Officer, or inspection said anything about running bead locks on the street? I understand that (at least for NC) rings arenā€™t legal, but people get away with it.

Thank in advance for a response.
Greg

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
Hi Tom,
your rig is looking good. Iā€™m sure it performs just as well. A couple of questions:
Did you change the gear ratio or modify the axles? Iā€™m still on the 3.73 and keep thinking 4.56 would be a better ratio.

Love the AEV Borah. That is the wheel Iā€˜m using but without any rings and 37 KO2s. Does the rings make the wheels hard to balance? Has DOT, or Officer, or inspection said anything about running bead locks on the street? I understand that (at least for NC) rings arenā€™t legal, but people get away with it.

Thank in advance for a response.
Greg
Hey Greg, I kept the 373 gears...several other rids have gone to 37s without regearing. I was getting 22MPG on my first drive...drops to 20 at 75+. Had not issues staying in 8th gear on the highway going up and down hills.

I am not sure how they balanced the tires, I imagine the did it before they put the dead lock rings on. No issues with my son is a Dallas Cop and my daughter's boy friend is a state trooper and they don't care and don't look out for those things in Texas. A good friend of mine inspects all my vehicles and there is no issues with it either.

KO2's are a great choice too! I am taking it back to get the Fox 2.5 Shocks on it. It does ride a little rougher than stock with the 2.0s. Wife didn't seem to like it as much.

Since I plan on airing down really low off road I went with the Bead Lock Rings.

Hope all is well with you!

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
I just ordered a teraflex 1.5 leveling kit. Should be here this week. I plan going 35ā€™s and a Accutune lift when they release their diesel kit.

I second the statement on poor quality. I started my mod journey by ordering Quadratec tube doors and a Rugged Ridge bumper. The doors didnā€™t align or latch and the bumper bolts broke off at have the rated torque. Returned it all and ordered Rival front and rear aluminum bumpers. Those came in but the front was missing hardware and the rear was missing welds. To be fair quadratec didnā€™t give me any hassle on the initial returns and Rival sent me a new rear bumper, hardware for the front and free hood struts for my troubles. I still would had preferred to have it right to start with. Not sure how these companies stay in business if everyone had my experience.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I just ordered a teraflex 1.5 leveling kit. Should be here this week. I plan going 35ā€™s and a Accutune lift when they release their diesel kit.

I second the statement on poor quality. I started my mod journey by ordering Quadratec tube doors and a Rugged Ridge bumper. The doors didnā€™t align or latch and the bumper bolts broke off at have the rated torque. Returned it all and ordered Rival front and rear aluminum bumpers. Those came in but the front was missing hardware and the rear was missing welds. To be fair quadratec didnā€™t give me any hassle on the initial returns and Rival sent me a new rear bumper, hardware for the front and free hood struts for my troubles. I still would had preferred to have it right to start with. Not sure how these companies stay in business if everyone had my experience.
I find myself asking that question often.
Sponsored