Diesel Lift Kit?

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
I think that is Skyjacker lift. I would like to see how much more clearance I get if I remove my 3.6l Mopar lift and install Mopar 3.0l diesel kit. If it is worth $1,500. If it is at least 1.5" I will spend the money and do it.
I very much doubt you would get an extra 1.5 inches. The spring rate on the Mapor 3.6 is about 140 front and say about 150 rear (pulling from memory so i may be off a bit on these numbers...but theory stands) Meaning that 140 / 150 lbs will compress the spring one inch. That means to sit one inch lower overall you would need to add 580lbs to the jeep. The diesel is only 400 lbs heavier than the 3.6. Meaning you could expect to see about 3/4 inch extra compression on a diesel running 3.6 springs. So if you have a 3.6 two inch lift you could expect about 1.25 inches of actual lift on the diesel. So the way i read what you are saying is you need 1.25 + an additional 1.5. So about 2.75 inches overall. No two inch lift is going to gain you 2.75 inches. You would need to move up to an aftermarket 2.5 or 3 inch. Evo and RK are both making springs that are diesel specific and within that range.
Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I very much doubt you would get an extra 1.5 inches. The spring rate on the Mapor 3.6 is about 140 front and say about 150 rear (pulling from memory so i may be off a bit on these numbers...but theory stands) Meaning that 140 / 150 lbs will compress the spring one inch. That means to sit one inch lower overall you would need to add 580lbs to the jeep. The diesel is only 400 lbs heavier than the 3.6. Meaning you could expect to see about 3/4 inch extra compression on a diesel running 3.6 springs. So if you have a 3.6 two inch lift you could expect about 1.25 inches of actual lift on the diesel. So the way i read what you are saying is you need 1.25 + an additional 1.5. So about 2.75 inches overall. No two inch lift is going to gain you 2.75 inches. You would need to move up to an aftermarket 2.5 or 3 inch. Evo and RK are both making springs that are diesel specific and within that range.
So i went back and actually checked the 3.6 Mopar two inch lift spring rates. They are actuall 131 front and 181 rear. Meaning 131 + 131 = 262 front and 181 + 181 = 362 rear for an overall of 624. Meaning if pefecty balanced 624 lbs would compress the vehicle one inch. The rest of my math stands...you will see about .75 less left on the diesel using 3.6 springs.

Gawdly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
... that’s With 37x12.5 Cooper stt pros On a 17x9 wheel. Mopar 2” diesel specific lift. Plastic front bumper. Rival aluminum rear bumper and full size spare.

Looking back through old pictures, I am 4.25" taller than I was stock... 41.75" to 46" measured at the same point on the front before and after.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
It looks like Mopar 2" lift kit for diesel JL is out. Did anyone installed it yet? I installed one for 3.6l engine and it is OK but I experienced small degree of rubbing during extreme articulation. I would like to buy correct springs and shocks but none are available as single items. I would buy a whole kit if reviews are good. So far have not seen anyone posting about it.
I bought the Mopar (diesel) lift in anticipation of my new JLURD, and subsequently returned it. I don't want to run anything bigger than true 35s, and the lift leaves way too much tire to fender gap for my tastes. This will be my first non-lifted Wrangler.

That said, I think that the Mopar lift, paired with 37s, has a fine stance.

If you buy, these guys have the best advertised price ($1,244): https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com/

Sponsored

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
For anybody that's curious, we are in the process of finishing up our diesel lift kit, we have tested it on a few vehicles and if anybody here is interested I would be happy to put together a quote for you with a discount for some feedback on the product in return! I'll leave some pictures of a JL we just finished up, customer said the kit works and performs perfect so far! I should note, these are basically the same exact kits as our Overland Plus Systems, just with a modified front spring, so expect the same exact level of performance and quality out of these as all of our other suspension systems!

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Lift Kit? 99083085_311928359796409_2022008570744143872_n

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Lift Kit? 98445932_2763331967127041_1556095492046192640_n

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
So i went back and actually checked the 3.6 Mopar two inch lift spring rates. They are actuall 131 front and 181 rear. Meaning 131 + 131 = 262 front and 181 + 181 = 362 rear for an overall of 624. Meaning if pefecty balanced 624 lbs would compress the vehicle one inch. The rest of my math stands...you will see about .75 less left on the diesel using 3.6 springs.
Thank you. I appreciate your effort. I will measure my jeep to see what I got from 3.6l lift.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
For anybody that's curious, we are in the process of finishing up our diesel lift kit, we have tested it on a few vehicles and if anybody here is interested I would be happy to put together a quote for you with a discount for some feedback on the product in return! I'll leave some pictures of a JL we just finished up, customer said the kit works and performs perfect so far! I should note, these are basically the same exact kits as our Overland Plus Systems, just with a modified front spring, so expect the same exact level of performance and quality out of these as all of our other suspension systems!

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Lift Kit? 98445932_2763331967127041_1556095492046192640_n

I just spent about an hour with Scott over at OCD Customs talking suspension. He had nothing but good to say about Clayton. I am interested. I would have Scott put it in.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
I measured 45" both front and rear. That is 1" of difference. Not huge but it think worth the money. I will go ahead and buy Diesel kit and swap springs and shocks. I will sell 3.6 one if someone will be interested.

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD, 1988 MJ, 2010 XK (Sold)
I Have a 2021 JLUD On Order, What would you guys recomend for Overlanding and light off road. I Am thinking on either having the dealership install the Mopar lift and roll it into the financing. Or buying the AEV 2" Budget Lift and just installing that.

What do yall think? Ill only be throwing 35" on.

Sponsored

NW_Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

I sent you a PM and I’m interested in coming over to your shop

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I Have a 2021 JLUD On Order, What would you guys recomend for Overlanding and light off road. I Am thinking on either having the dealership install the Mopar lift and roll it into the financing. Or buying the AEV 2" Budget Lift and just installing that.

What do yall think? Ill only be throwing 35" on.
Speaking only from an appearance standpoint, the Mopar lift (which provides noticeably more than 2") can visually overwhelm 35s. Kind of a roller skate look. Go with 37s or the AEV spacer boost, or go lift-less. I'm going with 35s and no lift on my JLURD. That said, this a totally your-opinion-may-vary decision.

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD, 1988 MJ, 2010 XK (Sold)
Speaking only from an appearance standpoint, the Mopar lift (which provides noticeably more than 2") can visually overwhelm 35s. Kind of a roller skate look. Go with 37s or the AEV spacer boost, or go lift-less. I'm going with 35s and no lift on my JLURD. That said, this a totally your-opinion-may-vary decision.

Thanks for the info on the mopar one. I Got a Sahara so the lower fenders might help with that roller skate look. but as soon as i can find some take off Rubi Fenders ill be throwing them on.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I agree that depending on the look you are going for 35s can sometimes look a little small in a 2-3 inch lift...and look really small in a 3-4 inch lift. However it is all about what you are going for. If it is primarily appearance, then something like and 1-2 inch spacer and 35s or just stock and 35s would likely suit your need and give you the right "look". If on the other hand your are trying to build a rig that can get off road and do some real wheeling...then those options may not be what you want...in fact then a little space around your tires is a good thing...it gives them room to flex and move.

I personally lean toward reliability first, then performance, then looks. My rule for my suspensions has always been I want it stronger and more reliable than OEM and I want full turn at full compression with no rubbing. I have watched great looking rigs leave fenders and quarter panels on the side of the track, I have seen torn up tires and damaged and broken components because rigs built to look good hit the trail a bit too hard. I have seen other rigs take abuse that no vehicle should be able to endure and shrug it off like it was nothing...if you build for the extremes you will likely walk (or drive) away from them when you encounter them, purposely or by accident.

I am sorry if that sounds a bit preachy...not intended to. Every vehicle is built for different reasons with different goals...and if it makes you happy then you have succeeded and it doesn't matter a whit what anyone else says. Putting all the time, effort, and money into a vehicle to build it for the extremes...then using it to crawl the mall and pick up kids is probably just a waste. It all depends on what you want and expect from your vehicle.

As you can see from this thread I have yet to decide on a suspension for my JLURD (though if Clayton is serious about their offer to test their new diesel suspension that dilemma may be resolved) and the way it looks now stock with 35s is phenomenal IMHO. However, despite looking great my local Jeep club just announced a trail run with some rock crawling elements that I desperately want to go on, but can't because my JLURD is not yet capable enough to handle the trail. Looks tough as nails, but can't back it up. For me that is not the Jeep I want to drive. So a 2.5 inch suspension, a winch, some good trail lights, belly armor...and then were getting close to the jeep I want to drive...even if the wheels look a little small for the wheel wells.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree that depending on the look you are going for 35s can sometimes look a little small in a 2-3 inch lift...and look really small in a 3-4 inch lift. However it is all about what you are going for. If it is primarily appearance, then something like and 1-2 inch spacer and 35s or just stock and 35s would likely suit your need and give you the right "look". If on the other hand your are trying to build a rig that can get off road and do some real wheeling...then those options may not be what you want...in fact then a little space around your tires is a good thing...it gives them room to flex and move.

I personally lean toward reliability first, then performance, then looks. My rule for my suspensions has always been I want it stronger and more reliable than OEM and I want full turn at full compression with no rubbing. I have watched great looking rigs leave fenders and quarter panels on the side of the track, I have seen torn up tires and damaged and broken components because rigs built to look good hit the trail a bit too hard. I have seen other rigs take abuse that no vehicle should be able to endure and shrug it off like it was nothing...if you build for the extremes you will likely walk (or drive) away from them when you encounter them, purposely or by accident.

I am sorry if that sounds a bit preachy...not intended to. Every vehicle is built for different reasons with different goals...and if it makes you happy then you have succeeded and it doesn't matter a whit what anyone else says. Putting all the time, effort, and money into a vehicle to build it for the extremes...then using it to crawl the mall and pick up kids is probably just a waste. It all depends on what you want and expect from your vehicle.

As you can see from this thread I have yet to decide on a suspension for my JLURD (though if Clayton is serious about their offer to test their new diesel suspension that dilemma may be resolved) and the way it looks now stock with 35s is phenomenal IMHO. However, despite looking great my local Jeep club just announced a trail run with some rock crawling elements that I desperately want to go on, but can't because my JLURD is not yet capable enough to handle the trail. Looks tough as nails, but can't back it up. For me that is not the Jeep I want to drive. So a 2.5 inch suspension, a winch, some good trail lights, belly armor...and then were getting close to the jeep I want to drive...even if the wheels look a little small for the wheel wells.
Not preachy at all. Well articulated, actually. As I've mentioned in another thread, I recently bought/returned the Mopar lift. If only it was REALLY a 2" lift, it would be better (for me, at least). But then again, I'm in the minority and don't take my Jeep off road.
Sponsored