Diesel Lift Kit?

Pootytanger

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Also, the diesel turns 37s NO PROBLEM. Acceleration is quick. I doubt I'll regear (comes with 3.73).
Sponsored

OP
OP
Platinum7990

Platinum7990

First Name
Zeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2021 Rubicon 392 & 2022 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Honestly steering is great. It's tight and I don't notice any issues. Ive only driven it like 10 miles but included highway and neighborhood roads. I haven't noticed any of the AEV builds include steering stabilizers or anything. I've seen a few people talking about the Synergy shaft brace over the past week but its a brace, so I don't think you'd notice a difference in steering feel. Theoretically it should just brace things up to prevent risk of stuff breaking while offloading. I'll take it off roading in the next few days and report back. I may do a new stabilizer or brace but we'll see. I have a Maximus-3 rhino rack coming soon and a roof top tent. I think the rear springs should handle this fine. Also, my wife will probably make me get Rock Slide Engineering power steps soon too, so she can get into the truck.
Yeah good point. I’m only considering the brace because I hear great reviews on it and for long highway drives (which is what I mostly do) it will drive straight as an arrow even at high speeds.

I went with the RBP Stealth Power steps because a buddy of mine gets them at wholesale price so it saves me 300 to 400 bucks plus it’s a 5 year warranty and if something were to go wrong with any of the motors it’s super simple to swap.

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '76 FJ40, '17 BMW 650i Gran coupe
Honestly steering is great. It's tight and I don't notice any issues. Ive only driven it like 10 miles but included highway and neighborhood roads. I haven't noticed any of the AEV builds include steering stabilizers or anything. I've seen a few people talking about the Synergy shaft brace over the past week but its a brace, so I don't think you'd notice a difference in steering feel. Theoretically it should just brace things up to prevent risk of stuff breaking while offloading. I'll take it off roading in the next few days and report back. I may do a new stabilizer or brace but we'll see. I have a Maximus-3 rhino rack coming soon and a roof top tent. I think the rear springs should handle this fine. Also, my wife will probably make me get Rock Slide Engineering power steps soon too, so she can get into the truck.
There was a guy on the other forum (banned) that had a video of the steering box moving a good bit while static turning a. Not that we have that issue on the 3.0, but it would prevent that from happening and correct any deflection based on that issue.

I finished up installing the synergy steering (tie rod, track bar and drag link with griffin attenuator) and synergy track bar/sector shaft brace and noticed the stock drag link had some play just by grabbing it and slightly twisting. And to answer your question, no, it was not the drag link ball joint moving, but felt like there was a gap in the ball joint that allowed some play in the linkage. That said, I never had the dreaded dead spot in the wheel and no issues to speak of prior to this install and after completing, the steering already feels stiffer and has absolutely no shimmy when encountering bumps on the highway/interstate.

Last edited:

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I too have been reading about the brace. I would think while driving down the highway, the forces on the steering components and the frame-mounted steering box, are very low. So I wouldn’t think there could be a perceivable advantage by stiffening the box to frame. Yet some people do report that it helped with the wondering sensation. Do you think that’s real or in their head?

I’m sure similar things happen to me like that, where I look for an improvement like when I change oil. Does it really run smoother? My wife thinks I’m weird when I say it does so.

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I too have been reading about the brace. I would think while driving down the highway, the forces on the steering components and the frame-mounted steering box, are very low. So I wouldn’t think there could be a perceivable advantage by stiffening the box to frame. Yet some people do report that it helped with the wondering sensation. Do you think that’s real or in their head?

I’m sure similar things happen to me like that, where I look for an improvement like when I change oil. Does it really run smoother? My wife thinks I’m weird when I say it does so.
Well, I did the track bar and synergy brace about a week before doing the tie rod, then a week later the drag link. I wanted to see what made the most difference. When I added the track bar and brace, I noticed the wheel would not kick nearly as much as stock when at speed and hitting rather large imperfections in the road, but I have a feeling that's the track bar more than the brace. I think the brace will be good to prevent premature failure of the steering box and sector shaft if you are running larger tires, so for $200 I think it's great peace of mind.

When I added the tie rod, there was nearly no steering wheel kick and I dont have any feedback on the draglink as I just completed it last night.

I have not been running a steering stabilizer since changing the tie rod and even without it, the steering feels firmer and even tighter than before.

As for the wandering, I think alot has to do with the stock rear sway bar, which allows a good bit of torsional flex (by design for improved articulation). I have a helwig sway bar on order, which is much beefier and allows less torsional flex, but has helped the wandering tremendously with past jeeps even with stock steering components.

Sponsored

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I like the design of the brace, how it supports the end of the shaft. That’s good you are trying out all the beefed-up components, and taking note of what improvements they offer.

Before my Jeep showed up I darn near ordered the brace and adjustable track bar. I had taken measurements on a dealer lot gas Rubicon and noted the front axle, relative to the outer edge of fender flares, wasn’t centered quite perfectly. Then convinced myself I should drive it first. I only have about 150 miles on it but am pretty happy with it’s road manners so far. My axle at rest position, seems well centered. I don’t plan to lift it but do have wheels/315/70 tires on order. The wheels are +25mm offset as opposed to the 44.XXmm stock. Am curious to find out what if any difference in road manners that will make.

I look forward to following your testing and reviews.

OP
OP
Platinum7990

Platinum7990

First Name
Zeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2021 Rubicon 392 & 2022 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I’m gonna install the shaft brace Friday and see the difference. My next goal will be the tie rod later this year if needed.

I think one thing anyone with the diesel can agree on is how better the handling is over the standard 3.6.

EcoDRubi

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Eco on order.
Adjustable cam blots on my stock control arms. Caster around 5.8 degrees Now. Wow the diff it made after my soccer lift. It drives like new again.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
Adjustable cam blots on my stock control arms. Caster around 5.8 degrees Now. Wow the diff it made after my soccer lift. It drives like new again.
This may be a dumb question but I haven't been under my JL since I bought it a few weeks ago. I see the cam bolts come in sets, how many bolts sets do I need. will one set of 2 work?

Sponsored

EcoDRubi

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Eco on order.
This may be a dumb question but I haven't been under my JL since I bought it a few weeks ago. I see the cam bolts come in sets, how many bolts sets do I need. will one set of 2 work?
you need 2 cam bolts total. One for each control arm at the axle. Have the alignment shop put as MUCH caster in it as they can. 5-6 degrees and it will drive like a dream. I’m running 37 pats at 26 psi :)

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Well, I did the track bar and synergy brace about a week before doing the tie rod, then a week later the drag link. I wanted to see what made the most difference. When I added the track bar and brace, I noticed the wheel would not kick nearly as much as stock when at speed and hitting rather large imperfections in the road, but I have a feeling that's the track bar more than the brace. I think the brace will be good to prevent premature failure of the steering box and sector shaft if you are running larger tires, so for $200 I think it's great peace of mind.

When I added the tie rod, there was nearly no steering wheel kick and I dont have any feedback on the draglink as I just completed it last night.

I have not been running a steering stabilizer since changing the tie rod and even without it, the steering feels firmer and even tighter than before.

As for the wandering, I think alot has to do with the stock rear sway bar, which allows a good bit of torsional flex (by design for improved articulation). I have a helwig sway bar on order, which is much beefier and allows less torsional flex, but has helped the wandering tremendously with past jeeps even with stock steering components.
Gonzanc, keep us updated with your progress please. Really interested here on what you find. MY JLUR is really frustrating me.

NW_Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

updates please - I’m looking at doing these too and not cheapest upgrades out there either. I did a Teraflex 2.5 coil spacer lift (installing now) but I like the idea of staying ahead of the steering issues game

juice_jp

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TrackHawk, JL Rubicon
Tell these vendors we want HD springs for the rear of the Diesel Jeeps! Get that Payload up for all the crap I'm gonna put in there and tow.

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: I have been driving now for about 1k miles on the new steering and I must say that I am very impressed. I have little to no wander, no jolts in the steering wheel when hitting large expansion joints or imperfections at speed, etc. It's very tight and in my opinion, worth the upgrades. As an FYI, I am not running a steering stabilizer and have not been since installing as you need to relocate the stabilizer with this set up. I ordered the JKU Falcon steering stabilizer and put it on, but was not clearing the Steer Smarts products and full lock and at articulation, so I pulled it off for now. Once I have a lift on, it should clear without issue.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I have logged about 100 miles of fire roads, climbing, and tricky situations with this set up and it is easily the best steering Jeep I have owned. Feels stable and predictable on or offroad.
Sponsored