Diesel JL Wrangler Sounds and Sound Comparison to 2.0L

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL 3.0 Diesel, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro
I made a YouTube video so you guys can get an idea of what this sounds like. Unfortunately CELeste is back in the shop for the same code. On the plus side, I got a loaner thats a 2.0 Turbo for comparison. All these video clips were taken with the same cell phone camera. The truck at the end is a little further away so I could get the whole thing in the shot.

Admin edit:

Also hear this official recording (by FCA) of the Jeep Diesel Wrangler.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I for one think it’s awesome that they didn’t try to neuter all of the diesel clatter out of it. Hope the code issue is cleared up quickly!

OP
OP
Nihkole

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I for one think it’s awesome that they didn’t try to neuter all of the diesel clatter out of it. Hope the code issue is cleared up quickly!
Thanks I hope she's back home by tomorrow fingers crossed

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I made a YouTube video so you guys can get an idea of what this sounds like. Unfortunately CELeste is back in the shop for the same code. On the plus side, I got a loaner thats a 2.0 Turbo for comparison. All these video clips were taken with the same cell phone camera. The truck at the end is a little further away so I could get the whole thing in the shot.

Quieter than I thought it would be, but I heard a video of a Diesel at full throttle and it was an almighty racket. Have you listened to it as someone else drove by?

OP
OP
Nihkole

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quieter than I thought it would be, but I heard a video of a Diesel at full throttle and it was an almighty racket. Have you listened to it as someone else drove by?
No but it did sound pretty loud when I was in the garage... It's still at the shop right now and will be over the weekend :crying:

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Quieter than I thought it would be, but I heard a video of a Diesel at full throttle and it was an . Have you listened to it as someone else drove by?
Guess this depends on how long you've been around diesels, because it sounds relatively sedate to me.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess this depends on how long you've been around diesels, because it sounds relatively sedate to me.
It’s no 2006 Cummins, but it’s also a fair bit louder than the Audi 3.0 or even the same engine in the Ram 1500 for that matter. A happy medium if you will.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

That looks identical to the one we drove in Maryland just before the holidays - which was a pre-production model. No CEL though.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I haven't been around diesels much at all, but I'm trying to like this engine. I just want to make sure that my neighbors like it as well when it starts up at 6:00 am. Not to mention the fact that noisy diesel seems to be antiqued. Just stand next to a M-B diesel and you'll have to strain to hear it. <--That's what I was hoping for. :)

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I haven't been around diesels much at all, but I'm trying to like this engine. I just want to make sure that my neighbors like it as well when it starts up at 6:00 am. Not to mention the fact that noisy diesel seems to be antiqued. Just stand next to a M-B diesel and you'll have to strain to hear it. <--That's what I was hoping for. :)
[since the JL Diesel is priced at a Mercedes level]

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nihkole

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It really isn't crazy loud at all. I would say my V6 Camaro is louder at idle than this.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would be interested to compare a sport/rubi next to a Sahara, both with diesel. Sahara seems like a market more interested in NVH than the sport or rubi but who knows if they have different sound/vibration damping in the Sahara.

NW_Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My X5 3.0 diesel is quiet but loader than gas. I’d rather it be a little louder because it sounds more like something is wrong. With this ecodiesel at least everyone will know it’s a diesel and not a poor running one