Sponsored

Diesel in snow problems- Update 1/27/22 Page 12.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Long-term solution if the dealer can't duplicate the error: move to Phoenix - snow problem solved.

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What is the process like for that? Would I just tell Jeep I would like them to buy it back?
Jeep offered me a discount on a new
one when I traded in a 2020 with a problem they couldn’t figure out. It wasn’t a lemon or a buyback, but I came out ahead.

That’s after four trips to three different dealers, though. That might be an option. I’d take it to a second dealer and have them look, so your attempts are documented.

When I pointed out my issue was a safety hazard, they got moving.

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Jeep offered me a discount on a new
one when I traded in a 2020 with a problem they couldn’t figure out. It wasn’t a lemon or a buyback, but I came out ahead.

That’s after four trips to three different dealers, though. That might be an option. I’d take it to a second dealer and have them look, so your attempts are documented.

When I pointed out my issue was a safety hazard, they got moving.

If it comes to that, I would be for it, but I wonder how it would work since the dealerships have no vehicles. I am guessing I would be without a car for a couple months while a new one is being built.

If you can't say I understand, but what kind of discount did they give you? I also bought the extended warranty, so I would hope they would refund that as well.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
P
Various reasons, but in this case the dealer is saying "we don't know what's wrong and can't fix it" and also that this seems to be a very unusual case - no one has heard of this before.

If the dealer knew what the issue was, give them a chance to fix it. I agree.

In this case, it seems like its never happened before, dealer doesn't know what to do, can't promise it won't happen again, and its possible there is engine damage due to water ingestion. This may never get fixed properly for the life of the vehicle. Better to start over imo.
Small amount of water into cylinders will not do harm. Unless you get it to the point where endine shits down due to flooding or running high rpms when it backfires

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
That is bananas. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and we have had some heavy snows we've driven our jeep in with no issues and nothing like that. large amounts of snow should not be coming into your intake like that. as the snow melts it will make your air filter wet and cause all kinds of issues.

Check all the connections with your intake, something must be not hooked up correctly for that to happen. I do have the 3.6, but it should not be any different than the diesel as far as keeping snow out.

Stetson
This, if the air box wasn’t seated correctly it could happen but I can’t see anything like this occurring if the factory intake system was installed as designed.

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD, 1988 MJ, 2010 XK (Sold)
According to Parratt, his MAF was fried due to water intrusion, from the consequent melting snow inside of the filter box.
Just for clarification, the MAS getting fried was a different event, happened in the summer when i was driving through lots of puddles going a bit faster than i probably should have. Tho i have a theory the dealership didnt put the airbox back together on the last service and thats why water got past the filter.

With my airflow like this i noticed overheating, and aswell there was a suction sound from the engine bay since the flexable tube that goes from the airbox - intake was crushed from suction

fastguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
2021 stock diesel rubicon with ~2200 miles.
This was after driving 30-40 min at 55 in a Colorado snow storm.
Opened engine bay to fill washer fluid and noticed snow.

IMG_0841.jpeg

IMG_0843.jpeg

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
Thank you for sharing. đź‘Ť

It doesn't look that bad at all, dare I call it normal.

Did any snow make it inside of the filter box?

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'll add this one more time and then stop....diesels ingest significantly more air than gassers at typical cruising load. Enough to create quite a vacuum effect. high vacuum over an extended period of time with the right conditions = sucking up a lot of snow. If you google "snow clogged air filter" you'll get hits to all sorts of different forums/sites with this issue for many different makes/models of vehicles with one thing in common: diesel.

Thanks Good explanation.

fastguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Thank you for sharing. đź‘Ť

It doesn't look that bad at all, dare I call it normal.

Did any snow make it inside of the filter box?
Sadly I didn’t check the air box but I'll definitely keep my eye on it t see if it progresses.

Tlebkcalb

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ JLU DIESEL

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel in snow problems- Update 1/27/22 Page 12. IMG_0843

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel in snow problems- Update 1/27/22 Page 12. IMG_0843
Looks pretty normal, and way different from OP issue. Nothing to worry here, moving on…

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Spoke with Jeep Wave today. The dealership has made the request for the help of the engineers at Jeep.
Hopefully the Toran Ra will reveal the solution.

Sponsored