Sponsored

Diesel in snow problems- Update 1/27/22 Page 12.

Tlebkcalb

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ JLU DIESEL
Good luck, I sold my 2019 JL after 3 steering racks within 4K miles. Just didn’t have the time and energy to deal with, even though I loved the Jeep aside of the steering issue.
I knew I was not crazy, and even video the pitman arms and steering. Got frustrated and sold it. Fast forward I got a 2021 3.0 Willys that I have 300 miles. I wish you the best of luck, be patient, I wasn’t. You will need it.
Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I'll add this one more time and then stop....diesels ingest significantly more air than gassers at typical cruising load. Enough to create quite a vacuum effect. high vacuum over an extended period of time with the right conditions = sucking up a lot of snow. If you google "snow clogged air filter" you'll get hits to all sorts of different forums/sites with this issue for many different makes/models of vehicles with one thing in common: diesel.

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
The dealership called me today. They said they replaced the airflow sensor and the errors are still continuing. They think snow made it past the filter and into the engine. They said they have no idea how long it will take to fix and they are not sure what the next step is.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
The dealership called me today. They said they replaced the airflow sensor and the errors are still continuing. They think snow made it past the filter and into the engine. They said they have no idea how long it will take to fix and they are not sure what the next step is.
Man that is a real bummer, hope they find out what is causing the problem.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
It almost looks like a miscreant with a snow shovel discovered your unlocked hood and punked you.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Next step is to buy back that lemon and get you a new Jeep...

At this point, that's something I'd push for. There may or may not be something missing or not installed right causing this. And they don't know. Get a new one that hopefully doesn't have this problem.

I drove in that I95 mess in Virginia last week for hours. No issues with diesel.

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD

At this point, that's something I'd push for. There may or may not be something missing or not installed right causing this. And they don't know. Get a new one that hopefully doesn't have this problem.

I drove in that I95 mess in Virginia last week for hours. No issues with diesel.

What is the process like for that? Would I just tell Jeep I would like them to buy it back?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

Why is it that the it's-a-lemon arrow gets pulled out of the quiver so quickly?

Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Mind if I ask what dealer? Feel free to PM if you'd rather. I may have a suggestion.

Needs to have the same problem 3 times and 30 number of days away. Or something like that, and a "reasonable" number of attempts to repair.

Nerobergstr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
West Texas Barn Find 1970 Kaiser Jeepster Commando
Vehicle Showcase
Was your filter collapsed when you pulled it out? If not, my bet is that the errors are still the results of water getting into electrical stuff where it shouldn't have.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Why is it that the it's-a-lemon arrow gets pulled out of the quiver so quickly?
Various reasons, but in this case the dealer is saying "we don't know what's wrong and can't fix it" and also that this seems to be a very unusual case - no one has heard of this before.

If the dealer knew what the issue was, give them a chance to fix it. I agree.

In this case, it seems like its never happened before, dealer doesn't know what to do, can't promise it won't happen again, and its possible there is engine damage due to water ingestion. This may never get fixed properly for the life of the vehicle. Better to start over imo.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Needs to have the same problem 3 times and 30 number of days away. Or something like that, and a "reasonable" number of attempts to repair.
Dealer admitted they don't know what to do and its still having issues. I bet that 30 days creeps up...

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
The dealership is Apple Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Shakopee.

Nope, the airfilter was not collapsed. It had snow on the outside side of the filter, but the engine side of the filter was dry.
Sponsored