Sponsored

Diesel in snow problems- Update 1/27/22 Page 12.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I think this is something that you will have watch, maybe stop and check next storm. Try to find the issue yourself..

BTW, DEF freezes at 11* F.

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
Way worse!

Some people on here, just don't seem to understand, what the right texture of snow, along with either or both high speeds on a highway, and/or gale force winds can do.

I rented a Maxima over 15 years ago, that was equipped with an OEM ram air intake system. I was driving in gale force snow storm on the highway for about 90 minutes non-stop. The engine began to sputter and hesitate, as I pulled up into my driveway. Guess why? 😏

Exactly ;).

Was this a rare occurence? Yes it was. Was the Bronco incident a "rare occurence"? Yup. Was what the OP experienced in this thread rare? Yes it was.

Can lightning strike down the street and fuk you up in the shower? Yes it can. Does shit happen? Yes.

Is everything man made written in stone, with zero exceptions? Nope.

On a side note, I'm beginning to wonder if VAG was onto something, when they began installing "snow screens" in all of their TDI models, upstream of their OEM intake filter boxes. People (including myself) would rip them out, in the hopes to gain a hp or two.

Food for thought.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
On a side note, I'm beginning to wonder if VAG was onto something, when they began installing "snow screens" in all of their TDI models, upstream of their OEM intake filter boxes. People (including myself) would rip them out, in the hopes to gain a hp or two.

Food for thought.
I had mentioned earlier in this thread that diesel engines consume a ton more air during cruising than a gas motor, due to lack of throttle plate, turbo wastegate, etc. My understanding is that under moderate load/throttle they are basically sucking the same amount of air as they would at WOT. Combine this with snow of the right consistency and weather conditions, etc, and it all seems plausible to me.

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Way worse!

Some people on here, just don't seem to understand, what the right texture of snow, along with either or both high speeds on a highway, and/or gale force winds can do.

I rented a Maxima over 15 years ago, that was equipped with an OEM ram air intake system. I was driving in gale force snow storm on the highway for about 90 minutes non-stop. The engine began to sputter and hesitate, as I pulled up into my driveway. Guess why? 😏

Exactly ;).

Was this a rare occurence? Yes it was. Was the Bronco incident a "rare occurence"? Yup. Was what the OP experienced in this thread rare? Yes it was.

Can lightning strike down the street and fuk you up in the shower? Yes it can. Does shit happen? Yes.

Is everything man made written in stone, with zero exceptions? Nope.

Food for thought.
Forever in the back of my mind when I shower, I'll be thinking about this post. Made me laugh. 🤣

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
My thoughts are how can I trust my family to a vehicle that can't drive in the snow in Minnesota? Maybe the snow never gets in there again, but I don't trust the vehicle in a snowstorm anymore.

What do you guys think? Just hope it doesn't happen again, or try and dump the Wrangler as soon as it is fixed and get something more reliable?
Given that you're pondering this, I'd recommend you sell it and move on. Your mind is already made up and if something else happens you'll blame whoever recommend holding onto the Wrangler.

I'd also recommend not ever expecting a vehicle to be perfectly reliable or be ever infallible. The safety of you and your family is your responsibility, not Stellantis (or any other manufacture or person).

Premeditatio Malorum. Latin for premeditation of evil. Think about all the things that could go wrong whenever you embark on a new adventure. This will enable you to withstand the setbacks and troubles that life throws at you.

Including some snow in the engine bay of your Wrangler.

Good luck, OP.

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Got the final disposition from the dealership. They got the electrical gremlins worked out and are putting in a new mass air sensor that went bad due to the snow getting into the air intake. The dealership still says they do not know how the snow got into the engine compartment and are not able make it not happen again.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The dealership still says they do not know how the snow got into the engine compartment and are not able make it not happen again.
That's disturbing. Maybe they'll figure something out next time?

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I have a Jeep Wave employee assigned to my case. She has told me that if the dealership cannot figure out how the snow got in there, the dealership should be asking to speak with some engineering team at jeep. As of last night, the dealership had made no request for this. The Jeep Wave employee told me she would specifically ask the dealership about talking to the engineers so that this does not happen again. Hopefully that happens.

Sponsored

Nerobergstr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
West Texas Barn Find 1970 Kaiser Jeepster Commando
Vehicle Showcase
One of the zillion tests that manufactures put vehicles through prior to production is specifically looking for snow packing/ingestion (http://www.mtukrc.org/wintertesting.htm). Basically driving in a snow field closely behind another vehicle until everything gets packed up with snow. They are specifically looking for failures to the intake system and turbo. Ideally the vehicle should... 1) Avoid complete blockages that can collapse the filter and damage the turbo, 2) Alert the driver regarding an issue with a CEL prior to damage. I know on my JLURD, the inner fender liner on the passenger side was so flimsy that it would fold back and grind on the tires at highway speeds. I can only imagine how much snow it would have pumped into the engine bay if I had driven it in winter...Maybe they don't do this kind of testing on Wranglers?

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
One of the zillion tests that manufactures put vehicles through prior to production is specifically looking for snow packing/ingestion (http://www.mtukrc.org/wintertesting.htm). Basically driving in a snow field closely behind another vehicle until everything gets packed up with snow. They are specifically looking for failures to the intake system and turbo. Ideally the vehicle should... 1) Avoid complete blockages that can collapse the filter and damage the turbo, 2) Alert the driver regarding an issue with a CEL prior to damage. I know on my JLURD, the inner fender liner on the passenger side was so flimsy that it would fold back and grind on the tires at highway speeds. I can only imagine how much snow it would have pumped into the engine bay if I had driven it in winter...Maybe they don't do this kind of testing on Wranglers?
Things come up in the real world that wouldn't happen during testing. You figure, most all manufactures test their 'mules' fully disguised with covers before the official launch date. Just that one thing could result in an oversight. IMHO, the hood seal should have ran the full distance.

Nerobergstr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
West Texas Barn Find 1970 Kaiser Jeepster Commando
Vehicle Showcase
Things come up in the real world that wouldn't happen during testing....
...but manufacturers have been winter testing for at least 109 years, so I wouldn't call snow intrusion unexpected and there is testing specifically for that purpose. The JL has been out for a while, is this only a Diesel problem during normal snow driving or do the gas guys have this issue too?

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel in snow problems- Update 1/27/22 Page 12. directors-on-test-drive-winter-1913

https://www.bosch.com/stories/testing-car-equipment-in-1900/

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
No news from the dealership or Jeep Wave today.

• Sad
Reactions: DGT