Sponsored

Diesel in snow problems- Update 1/27/22 Page 12.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Been trying to work with multiple Jeep dealerships this morning. They all say they will take a look at it, but they are scheduled out at least a month and have no rentals available due to the chip shortage.

I put in a dry air filter this morning and started it up. At first it wouldn't start, then it started and ran really rough. The exhaust smelled really funny too.
Was water pooled in bottom of air cleaner?
What did exhaust smell like? Sweet? Did the rough running continue or is it still happening?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Was water pooled in bottom of air cleaner?
What did exhaust smell like? Sweet? Did the rough running continue or is it still happening?

No pooled water, just hard packed snow. The exhaust smelled like really strong diesel fuel.

I didn't let the engine run too long as I don't want to damage it. I figure since its under warranty, I don't want to do anything that will give the dealership a reason to not warranty it.

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
When I had my 2021 JLURD, the wheel well inner liner was terrible and had a huge gap where I could see the engine and windshield washer reservoir. Perhaps the diesels with the air cleaner on the drivers side with a crappy inner liner, somehow allows snow to go right into the air cleaner inlet.

Just an idea that may or may not be related.

I traded my diesel in for an XR because I had so many problems with it

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Just tried to start it again. Still very rough to start. I tried revving the engine, but the engine dies out at 1800 RPMs.

Parratt

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUD, 1988 MJ, 2010 XK (Sold)
Just tried to start it again. Still very rough to start. I tried revving the engine, but the engine dies out at 1800 RPMs.
I Bet you the MAS is fried, Had this exact same thing happen earlier to me this year when some water got past the filter. Not Snow related. i was doing 50Km/h going through puddles for a few hours.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Water in the oil I would think is the point.
I figured, but I'm having a hard time seeing how water gets into the oil in this case. You could literally pour a liter of water into the intake while the motor is running and it won't get into oil until it blows a side out of the motor on hydrolock. Lol.

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Got a service appointment scheduled for January 7th as that is the earliest they had. No vehicle rentals available either.

I can't say I have been impressed with any of the Jeep dealerships, but I guess that's just the way dealerships go.

I will keep you guys updated with what they do. I am worried they are going to say its not a warrant issue and I just shouldn't have drove while it was snowing.
Sponsored