Sponsored

Diesel in snow problems- Update 1/27/22 Page 12.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
how have all the coatings you had applied to the Jeep held up in your conditions?
Xpel has been solid af…hard use Jeeps should use 10mil, lighter wheeling 8mil is fine except on painted rear fenders.

Cerakote underneath is holding strong but AK isn’t the true test of that stuff because we don’t salt the roads. My wife’s Jeep spent some time in the lunacy of New England’s salt addiction before we moved out to AK, has 90,000 miles on it now, everything underneath is still mint looking.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
So, after the first week back i have noticed my jeep runs rougher, is louder, and appears to be a little more sluggish. My gas mileage has also gone way down. On the highway at 65 I get about 19 to 20 mpg. I was getting 26-27 before.

Anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Could it be water did get into the engine?

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
If water got into the engine...it would have probably hydrolocked, which I’m sure it did not.

As to the louder aspect.....you’ll need to elaborate more.

As to your fuel economy.....you’ll have to wait a few tanks or drive cycles since the computer was replaced. I can only guess you are not hand calculating it.

Variances in winter blend diesel can affect fuel economy a lot. Additionally...perhaps the dealership allowed it to idle substantially and perhaps they took it on longer, spirited test drives to verify it was good to go before releasing it back to you.

What was the fuel level at drop off time? Hopefully it wasn’t low and someone threw a small amount of gasoline in it by mistake....

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
If water got into the engine...it would have probably hydrolocked, which I’m sure it did not.

As to the louder aspect.....you’ll need to elaborate more.

As to your fuel economy.....you’ll have to wait a few tanks or drive cycles since the computer was replaced. I can only guess you are not hand calculating it.

Variances in winter blend diesel can affect fuel economy a lot. Additionally...perhaps the dealership allowed it to idle substantially and perhaps they took it on longer, spirited test drives to verify it was good to go before releasing it back to you.

What was the fuel level at drop off time? Hopefully it wasn’t low and someone threw a small amount of gasoline in it by mistake....

Usually when I drive down the highway I don't hear the engine over the wind noise, but now I can hear the engine pretty easily.

You are correct, I have just been going by the computer as far as mileage goes.

The jeep had a pretty low amount of diesel in it when it was brought in. I have since filled the tank full and gone through most of it.

I was wondering about the winter blend and the cold temperatures. I had never driven the jeep in sub zero weather before it inhaled the snow. Since getting the jeep back, the temps have mostly been sub zero.

As far as the phone call from the dealership saying there was water in the intercooler, how would that water be removed? I don't know if there was any water in there since the dealership claims they never said that, but I am worried that there could be water in there.

I also noticed tonight that the exhaust still has a very strong odor to it.

Last edited:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Winter diesel additive or kerosene blends will not account for anywhere near that magnitude of mpg change. Colder temps might cut you 2-3mpg depending on how long your fluids are taking to get to operating temperature. Drain your fuel/water separator for a sample and if that looks clean, send some engine oil for a UOA at blackstone or similar to continue trying to ID the engine performance/sound changes.

davers

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy's Diesel 4 door Sarge Green
Occupation
Software Engineer
I noticed my 2021 diesel gives off an ammonia odor ever since it got cold here in Michigan. A YouTuber, I believe it’s “dieselJL”, also from Michigan, mentions the smell in one of his videos.. However, the noise level and fuel mileage hasn’t changed for me. Still 26 to 28…
Sponsored