Sponsored

Diesel in snow problems- Update 1/27/22 Page 12.

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Tomorrow will be day 16 in the shop. From my Uconnect app, it doesn't appear that they have started the engine in 6 or 7 days.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Tomorrow will be day 16 in the shop. From my Uconnect app, it doesn't appear that they have started the engine in 6 or 7 days.
Only 14 more days and perhaps you can start the lemon law process.....

Sponsored

Tlebkcalb

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ JLU DIESEL
Shoot.. itā€™s finally 64F hereā€¦
Iā€™ll take the -15Fā€¦ miss the cold

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Living in AK, Iā€™m currently in my 13th month of snow-driving a ā€˜20 JLURD since delivery 2/2020 in every consistency of snow imaginable, at all sane speeds, no intake issues yet with about half of my 35,000 miles being winter driving. I do run a winter front over the 7-slot to maintain engine/coolant temps, but it doesnā€™t block anything in front of the aforementioned gaps in the seal over the headlights. Iā€™ll start opening the hood more right after lengthy snow drives to see if itā€™s worth extending the seals.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Following, because considering purchasing a Diesel next year.

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
No update other than they say Jeep is working on it daily and not figuring it out.

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
No update other than they say Jeep is working on it daily and not figuring it out.
I'd say I had some success with today's decent snow fall here in the East. I extended the grill seal and more importantly the seal on the sides of the hood . More snow gets in the engine compartment from the side hood gap than the front. The only snow that did get in came up through the vents behind the lights, which is a good thing as LED's need cooling. Other than that, things stayed nice and dry.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
The dealership called me and said that Jeep has recommended putting in a new computer and they said that the engine took in a large amount of water. They said that the water made it to the intercooler. They said that this can damage the engine, but they are unsure if there is actually any damage to the engine right now.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
The dealership called me and said that Jeep has recommended putting in a new computer and they said that the engine took in a large amount of water. They said that the water made it to the intercooler. They said that this can damage the engine, but they are unsure if there is actually any damage to the engine right now.
Oh, not good. If water got in the engine it could bend rods. My diesel runs so hot, I can not image snow being packed in the engine compartment and not melting.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I'm curious what specific part(s) of the "electrical system" they are referring to? I'm confused if your reported issues are snow in the intake related(maf sensor, etc), or sometning else?

I rinse my entire engine(except for the alternator) with a garden hose 1-2x a year, never had an issue doing this, after decades of this practice. I don't see how snow melting on an engine is any different, than spraying water directly on it with a hose? Therefore this leads me to believe this is a chain reaction effect of snow in the intake system....

If the latter is the case, and you love the vehicle, add the snorkel i showed in the pic, and DONE, don't look back ever again.

If it turns out to be issues caused by melting snow on other parts of the engine as well, for me that would turn out to be unacceptable, and then trading in or selling it would be in the cards.

My 2 cents.
Do you rinse it with the engine running or off?

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Living in AK, Iā€™m currently in my 13th month of snow-driving a ā€˜20 JLURD since delivery 2/2020 in every consistency of snow imaginable, at all sane speeds, no intake issues yet with about half of my 35,000 miles being winter driving. I do run a winter front over the 7-slot to maintain engine/coolant temps, but it doesnā€™t block anything in front of the aforementioned gaps in the seal over the headlights. Iā€™ll start opening the hood more right after lengthy snow drives to see if itā€™s worth extending the seals.
how have all the coatings you had applied to the Jeep held up in your conditions?

OP
OP

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Well, I just got the Jeep back tonight. They replaced the computer and the error codes went away. The jeep appears to be driving like normal. They still weren't able to tell why the snow got into the engine compartment. They told me tonight that they don't think there was any water in the engine. Not sure why one of their service guys called me and said that there was water in the engine that had gotten to the intercooler.

I had asked them to change the oil. They forgot to change the oil, but did it while I was there. Not sure if there was water seen in the oil.

I guess I will see what happens from here. There are still 2 or 3 snowy months left, so I am sure I will drive it in the snow again.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I will keep this thread updated with how the Jeep does over the next couple of months.
Sponsored