www.revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Human Resources
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know for sure (and in what order / rating) what limits the GVWR in a JLURD? With our payload capacities on the lower end of things, if more capacity (or peace of mind) is needed, what's first? I.e. suspension up to x#'s before looking at drive shafts, axles, etc. Thanks in advance, and I expect this will be an interesting thread!
Sponsored

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I believe it's the wheelbase that's the limiting factor.. well that and federal regulations. In Europe they can tow substantially more but they are limited on speed while towing.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I think it’s mostly the flexy/tall suspension that limits towing. Other mid-sized trucks that have more tow capacity are shorter.
Also take Raptor for example= much less tow cap vs std F1fiddy

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Tacoma payload is same as a Jeep so I don’t think it’s wheelbase. I’ve read the Toyota Camry has higher payload than a Tacoma. Go figure

I am sure there are others here who know way more who can chime in, but best as I can tell there are safety regs that need to be followed by the manufacturer. Based on the vehicles structural integrity (everything from frame to suspension to brakes) determines GVWR.

So, the Jeep cannot give more payload because the design does not allow it to have a higher GVWR. Why? As the OP stated, that is what I would like to know.

There is no way a fully loaded overloading Jeep can stay under the GVWR, add on Rack, tent, bumpers, bigger tires, fridge, gear....you're over the 1200 in a flash. If I put on a high quality lift, bigger/better brakes and a higher load tire am I increasing the payload enough to cover a few hundred extra pounds?

EDIT: I should have said the Tacoma is the same as the Gasser Jeep. Diesel obviously is much less
Sponsored

Last edited: