Diesel Fuel Safety - Funnel?

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
It's been a week and finally ran through my first tank of diesel. I thought I'd add some Power Service to help with fuel lubricity...no dice. The fuel port has a safety device and I can't insert a funnel. Both local auto parts stores had nothing that would work. I see some funnels available through the Chrysler parts catalog - assuming they're designed for the diesel. Is this seriously a specialty part I have to purchase from the dealer?
Sponsored

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLUR 392 - Sarge Green
Joe, I went through this same dilemma last night. Go to to the back of your JL and check around your jack. You should see a black plastic funnel in a bag. You can use this to defeat the device at the tank (there to prevent someone from putting gasoline in) and feed in your additive.

The jack is under the plastic cover that you'd place your bolts in while your top is off. There's a little tab on the far left that you pinch and then the cover comes right up. You'll find this panel right in front of the storage bin in the rear of the JL.

If you don't have one by your jack, someone at the assembly line forgot to put it in. You'll have to go to the dealer and ask them for a replacement.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Joe, I went through this same dilemma last night. Go to to the back of your JL and check around your jack. You should see a black plastic funnel in a bag. You can use this to defeat the device at the tank (there to prevent someone from putting gasoline in) and feed in your additive.

The jack is under the plastic cover that you'd place your bolts in while your top is off. There's a little tab on the far left that you pinch and then the cover comes right up. You'll find this panel right in front of the storage bin in the rear of the JL.

If you don't have one by your jack, someone at the assembly line forgot to put it in. You'll have to go to the dealer and ask them for a replacement.
The great irony in the whole situation is that some gas stations use the smaller gasoline diameter nozzles for diesel...so you need to run the nozzle through the funnel to fill the tank, which defeats the auto-stop on the nozzle...great way to spill diesel on the ground. The safety flange should have been an option for rental vehicles, work vehicles etc in which drivers aren’t used to putting diesel in.

OP
OP
JoeBelt

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

You sir - are a saint. Your wisdom is very much appreciated!

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Is there a way to remove this feature? I'm willing to take on the challenge of never putting Petrol in my Diesel.