Sponsored

Diesel Fuel Additives

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Anybody using fuel additives in their 3.0L? Post up.
Something to think about if you're not...
Sponsored

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Anybody using fuel additives in their 3.0L? Post up.
Something to think about if you're not...
I used Diesel Kleen in my 3.0L ED Grand Cherokee. Promptly thereafter (2,000 miles?), I had a Service Engine Soon light that came on, a sensor in the exhaust system was toast. I'm not saying the two are related, but I won't use it again, that's for certain.

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I used Diesel Kleen in my 3.0L ED Grand Cherokee. Promptly thereafter (2,000 miles?), I had a Service Engine Soon light that came on, a sensor in the exhaust system was toast. I'm not saying the two are related, but I won't use it again, that's for certain.
Interesting, I've used it in my 2016 for over 90K miles, about every other tankful. No issues.

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Interesting, I've used it in my 2016 for over 90K miles, about every other tankful. No issues.
Sensor may have been bad to start with, but I'm not gonna risk it. The GC is running very well without it.

JP18

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Opti-lube xpd, dosing around 1/3 oz per gallon of fuel. Used it for a couple hundred thousand miles with some VW TDIs and never had an issue. 3.0 seems to be running well with it so far.

On an unrelated note, I drove to work in +4F temps this AM after leaving a heated garage. In 15 minutes commute time, the oil never reached operating temp. Close, but not quite. Can’t wait to see how long it takes after a cold start lol.

Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Opti-lube xpd, dosing around 1/3 oz per gallon of fuel. Used it for a couple hundred thousand miles with some VW TDIs and never had an issue. 3.0 seems to be running well with it so far.

On an unrelated note, I drove to work in +4F temps this AM after leaving a heated garage. In 15 minutes commute time, the oil never reached operating temp. Close, but not quite. Can’t wait to see how long it takes after a cold start lol.

I’d plug it in if I were you

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d plug it in if I were you
No plugs outside at work. Plus I’ll be regularly parking it in the middle of nowhere to hike, ski, hunt, fish or ice climb when it’s well below zero so I’ll just let the fuel and DEF coils heat up for a minute with the ignition on run before I crank the starter.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
Sensor may have been bad to start with, but I'm not gonna risk it. The GC is running very well without it.

JP18
When they went to low sulfur fuel the took the paraffins out. The fuel system has no lubricity in it anymore and that will hurt you fuel system parts over time. If a fingerprint on a fuel injector or pump part will keep them from going back together then a little lube would only help. In pre 07 engines we would put a quart of tranny fluid in the new fue to add the lube back. With DPF,s you can't do that.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cold start at +10F leaving work today...zero hesitation. It will be colder yet tomorrow, but keep in mind they run an additive blend for the winter up here in AK which will tolerate -40 with the fuel...plus the xpd I’m running and the fuel will never be the issue. DEF on the other hand, that might get interesting.

Last edited:

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
I have no experience with the 3.0, but have used Diesel Kleen for years. No issues. I rather keep the fuel system lubed. When the pumps fail, especially the high pressure side, it usually causes a whole shit show of other problems. Enough to make your face hurt when you pay the man to fix it. We all know things like to magically break once your warranty expires. Like clock work.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't need any additives. When they went to ULSD additives were needed for engines prior, but all current diesel engines are designed for ULSD.
The engine may deal with ULSD just fine but high pressure fuel pumps seem to be a common issue with even modern diesels running ULSD. My mpg gains offset most of the cost of XPD so I don’t see much downside.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
You don't need any additives. When they went to ULSD additives were needed for engines prior, but all current diesel engines are designed for ULSD.
Most everyone has went to high pressure rail system and there is a lot less moving parts but ALL moving parts need lubrication. Adding will only help as long as its DPF friendly.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Well, I'm finally on board the fuel additive train. Bought a new 6.7L Ford recently and after reading up on high pressure fuel pump failures I decided it was time to get fully behind the idea, that adding fuel lubricity is completely necessary.

Going to use HotshotSecret EDT for lubricity and the other touted benefits. I'll pair that with Better Diesel's FBC to hopefully keep the whole regen process reasonable. We take the Jeep on the highway every week or 2, but predominantly it is driven in town. The regens seem to be coming about every 250-350 miles. When we get on the highway more, the mileage in between regens increases. Hoping the FBC can extend that out further. It should be relatively easy to see over time, if the regens start happening farther apart.