Diesel finally coming in November?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Glad I didn’t wait. Manual transmission and two doors are must-haves for me when buying a Wrangler. Whenever either of those goes away, I’ll be done buying new Jeeps.
At one point they stopped using steam engines.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
At one point they stopped using steam engines.
Yeah, and the people who loved steam engines stopped buying them new and kept using the ones they had until they died. And there’s actually still some folks out there who operate them as a novelty. As I’ll be doing with my 2-door MT jeep. So... what’s your point?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
at least you know where the pic was taken...
Need to take a trip down to the proving grounds to see if I can catch a few 3.0 driving around. I have seen some truck mules lately with full camp on, but no Jeeps as of yet.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
they have to put a def system in that small of a diesel engine?....thought it was just for the big rigs...thats another added expense, and hassle....def is messy and clogs very quickly....
The 3.0 Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee have been using DEF for several years and just about the entire diesel market (outside of the VW 2.0 TDI which had to cheat) runs urea injection systems to meet NOx requirements. Clogging has not been an issue I’m aware of with the FCA 3.0 DEF system, but DPFs (across the industry) on the other hand...they are pretty much a consumable part which is better off being deleted along with the EGR (the valves of which are also prone to clogging) when the factory unit goes.

Sponsored

nforkjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel / 2020 JLURD Delivered !
Both of my 2015 VW 2.0L TDIs (Jetta & Passat) have DEF tanks.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
And both of my pre-2015 2.0 Golf TDIs didn’t. That year is when the cheating stopped.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
I’d like one; but I’ll get a diesel only if my brother approves once they’re released and he’s had a chance to review them. (He designs and rebuilds Diesel engines and rewrites codes etc)

nforkjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel / 2020 JLURD Delivered !

"And both of my pre-2015 2.0 Golf TDIs didn’t. That year is when the cheating stopped."

I guess they were still cheating in 2015, as both of my TDIs had to have hardware and software fixes.

BAKNBLK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT diesel
My 2016 Audi A6 has the 3.0 TDI...love it and would never delete it.
I've had 7.3's and the new 6.7 fords and would not delete any new diesel.

Sponsored

Dakster

First Name
Dak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F350, Chevy Trax
they have to put a def system in that small of a diesel engine?....thought it was just for the big rigs...thats another added expense, and hassle....def is messy and clogs very quickly....
Even the smaller than 3.0L diesel motors have to have DEF... It's the only way to get the NoX levels low enough. Honda thought they had a passive system that would be in compliance, but ultimately it didn't pan out. At least in the smaller motors a couple of gallons of DEF lasts a long time (like over 10k miles). I am pouring DEF in every few thousand miles in my F350.

I agree that the DPF/SCR and DEF is the biggest pain and makes diesels less reliable. I don't have an answer as to keeping the exhaust clean with a diesel though. I do enjoy not having to wipe the soot off the back of my F350 or front of what I was pulling like I did with my older diesel trucks/SUVs and cars. (Had a 2006 VW TDI in the past)

I hope this Wrangler diesel motor has the fixes the Ram EcoDiesel got...

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Man what a bummer. The diesel not being available with a manual is heart breaking.
I think so too, but I have so say if the one that gets put in the wrangler runs anything like the 1500s. I'm not sure I would really want a manual diesel the more I think about it.

That ecodiesel has lag. Like a lot of it. It would take a while to get used to the delay on wind up. Might have to used the hill assist cause otherwise it's not gonna wind up fast enough when you start rolling backwards on a hill.

What's more heart breaking is Jeep not putting it into the two door. If Europe gets a two door with the same engine/transmission I'm gonna be furious.

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
I think so too, but I have so say if the one that gets put in the wrangler runs anything like the 1500s. I'm not sure I would really want a manual diesel the more I think about it.

That ecodiesel has lag. Like a lot of it. It would take a while to get used to the delay on wind up. Might have to used the hill assist cause otherwise it's not gonna wind up fast enough when you start rolling backwards on a hill.

What's more heart breaking is Jeep not putting it into the two door. If Europe gets a two door with the same engine/transmission I'm gonna be furious.
Hey Bruno - do you know when the turbo kicks in for the new 3.0D? At what RPM, I mean?

I ask because like you I live in CO and am moving on from my 4R due to lack of power in the high country. I've been eagerly awaiting the 3.0D for the torque to help with those problems. If the lag is really bad, am I better off getting a 2019 with the 2.0T hybrid for torque at lower RPMs?

Thanks

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Hey Bruno - do you know when the turbo kicks in for the new 3.0D? At what RPM, I mean?

I ask because like you I live in CO and am moving on from my 4R due to lack of power in the high country. I've been eagerly awaiting the 3.0D for the torque to help with those problems. If the lag is really bad, am I better off getting a 2019 with the 2.0T hybrid for torque at lower RPMs?

Thanks
There is a distinct point where the engine comes into power. 1200-1600 is where it's at if I remember right. However off the line there is a couple possibly even 3 second delay at times until the engine reaches this point. Once it's there, man it flat scoots.

I found for several weeks after getting it that I was mashing the accelerator trying to get it to react then really dialing it back when it finally kicked in.

Add the extra partial second for the ESS system Jeep plans to put on it and daily driving might be cumbersome. Get the ESS module to permanently turn it off if that causes annoyance.

Once I started to anticipate that and adjusted my driving style to accommodate. It really became a very enjoyable engine. Just the right amount of growl, grunt, and mpg. I might not have traded it for my jk if I didn't move to a 2 mile commute.

The single biggest piece of advice I can give you is don't get it if you won't be getting it up to full operating temperature often. That's when these engines really get into trouble with all their emissions equipment.
Sponsored