First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
It's tough to own a diesel on this group. Every other thread tells me what a piece of crap it is. Trouble is, I own one, and haven't had any issues of any type.

BTW: OP I know that your intentions are good. Thanks.
Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
It's tough to own a diesel on this group. Every other thread tells me what a piece of crap it is. Trouble is, I own one, and haven't had any issues of any type.

I think of it this way. Diesel isn't something that is worry free, but this forum has good members to make you aware of potential issues to help keep track of it so you don't become a story. And then you'll have a more reliable diesel JL/JT

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
Thanks for bringing this issue to light, you guys saved me a big headache later on!
Just picked mine up last Thursday, I have less than 1000 miles on mine. My Harness casing was already stuck to the V-band clamp on the down pipe. It was barely stuck it didn’t make it through the casing yet though. There was a stud mount zip-tie connected to the harness but not pressed onto a stud. I pressed it onto the second stud up you can see while looking up the firewall. It seems to pull the harness tight against the firewall and away from the exhaust. You can only get your hand in through the bottom of the passenger fender liner to maneuver the harness. I’ll be looking into some heat wrap for the harness.
I’ll post of some pictures but they’re not very clear, one of the zip-tie with the stud mount, and one of the final location of the harness once pressed down onto the stud.
Sorry I can’t get any good pictures in the dark of how the harness sets before and after.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Fatal Flaw? 9FFA49A4-63BA-4A24-94DA-E46723B60876
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Fatal Flaw? 02E8E122-1130-4E00-A0AF-B3E9417FC629

Johnny2018

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021JLUD
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked it on my 2021 Rubicon, about 1/4” away from exhaust. It does have a metal bracket and zip tie attached to it keeping it away from exhaust. Guess issue was fixed on new JLs.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just to let you know, these harness issues (causing multiple codes to be thrown) are not unique to the diesel (though this particular harness issue is).

On my 2021 JLUR 2.0T I had all sorts of codes intermittently thrown. Dealer tech and I (together) located a chaffed harness by the transmission bell housing. Because the harness was back ordered and it is a major pain to install, we elected to repair the chafed wire (only one) and apply additional protective tape.

It fixed my issue, but not very confidence inspiring.

In looking for the problem, I saw multiple places where harnesses were resting against sharp metal (e.g. in the front by the radiator). I'm going to add protective tape around all the visible areas of possible chafing. Sucks that I have to do this on a brand new vehicle in it's 4th model year - should net be having these teething issues.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
and a random poster that did not watch the vid. Guy is simply pointing out to check your wiring routed next to exhaust. Might be useful info for some.
I'd get some of that heat shield loom and wrap the harness in it and tie wrap it as far away from the exhaust as possible.....

Coastalkid

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited Diesel
When I get my 2022 Rubicon Diesel preorder delivered sometime early next year (hopefully), I'll check to see if they implemented a fix for this issue and report back.
When I received my truck back all they did was replace the harness. There currently is no new part available. I called the corporate office and I have a number for a fellow who helped expedite my repair parts. I’m back on the road, fingers crossed until it happens again.

I do use my Jeep and I also towed a popup camper. I’m sure that did not help but I never overheated the engine temps or trans temp. I’ll pretty much baby my Jeep.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
So is the suggestion here to check it, if it's close or touching, just push it away?

Or can you get in there and tie it off to something to keep it away? (Guess heat wrap is in addition as well.)

My JLURD is not here yet and I will be heading this issue off at the pass.

ZA-RIG

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Eco-Diesel
So is the suggestion here to check it, if it's close or touching, just push it away?

Or can you get in there and tie it off to something to keep it away? (Guess heat wrap is in addition as well.)

My JLURD is not here yet and I will be heading this issue off at the pass.
I used some zip ties to move the harness down and away from the EGR pipe.

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD

I'm with you, my 2018 JLUR was a good vehicle with no issues other then getting the steering box recall performed and I put 57K miles on it before I traded it, but reading some of the post made worry a bit. So now that I have a 22 JLURD with 3k miles and no issues I see similar posts and mine has been fine so far. I learned to take some things with a grain of salt, while others are helpful and a teaching moment. I just checked mine and that wire loom is up much higher and away from the flange with zip ties on both ends keeping it tight, perhaps a running change was made. But good to know...

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I've been chasing an on-and-off rattle from that area for most of this year. Noticed this wiring harness wedged against the exhaust flange around June and have pointed it out to the dealer both times it has been in since. Came across the OP video last night trying to find videos about failed EGR systems and other damage it may cause. 35 days in; hopefully I'll be able to check and see if they finally addressed my wiring loom soon?
Sponsored