Wes420

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel; 2015 JKU Sahara

Question for the group-
Any suggestions to the cause of the rough start? 55° temperature and rich fuel smell after it starter kicks off. Started about 40 miles into a fresh tank of fuel so assuming that has to do with it. Doesn’t happen on back to back starts but if it sits off for about 5+ minutes this is what it does. I dropped it off at the dealership last Tuesday and got a message on Friday saying there are 14 vehicles in front of me before they can even look at it. I went ahead and ordered a new fuel filter and am debating on just going and getting it and hoping that fixes the problem or continuing to pay for a rental until they get to it being that I’m already 7 days in.

All that being said- I absolutely love this Jeep!!!
Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Sounds like a problem I had with a Cummins powered Ram. There was a small fuel leak that let air into the system so I had to crank for an extended time to re-prime the system. Since there was a leak that let air in it also let air out.

One think you can do is have someone start the vehicle while you are looking at fuel lines and the injectors.

Good luck.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve seen several posts by diesel owners complaining of rough/high idle. It normally starts about a month after picking up the Jeep.

That’s just how it is when the engine is cold, from what I recall.

My guess would it is emissions-related. FCA paid through the nose in recalls, legal settlements and reprogramming 2015-2017 EcoDiesels so that they met emission standards, and had to do a lot of work to this version of the motor to get it certified.

OP
OP

Wes420

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ended up getting it back from the dealership because they wanted to keep it another week before they could even look at it. Waited until 40 miles until empty and refueled. Same nasty start as it had been doing since my last fill up. Drove about 4 miles home and the next start, and every start since then, it started perfectly! Zero issues. Guessing it was a bad tank.

Horsemover

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / 1997 TJ 4.0
I ended up getting it back from the dealership because they wanted to keep it another week before they could even look at it. Waited until 40 miles until empty and refueled. Same nasty start as it had been doing since my last fill up. Drove about 4 miles home and the next start, and every start since then, it started perfectly! Zero issues. Guessing it was a bad tank.
Did you check your fuel/water separator? You would think you would have a light but if I had bad fuel I would drain to be certain.

OP
OP

Wes420

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you check your fuel/water separator? You would think you would have a light but if I had bad fuel I would drain to be certain.
That’s on tomorrow’s agenda!
Sponsored