OP
OP
Geos7812

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for the replies. $2K is pretty pricey, but so is a new DPF. That DOF looks exposed! I am also not excited about added weight but I will research. Thanks all!
Sponsored

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
With aluminum skids, the net gain in weight is somewhere around 30 lbs because you remove the factory skids. Steel skid plates will increase weight much more.

As I stated before, I haven't snagged/impacted the bottom yet, and it really depends on the type of trails you intend to run . . . you may not need to do anything.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Rolled back into the ledge ...My skid plates would not have helped! LOL
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel Exhaust Trail Damage Resized_20211019_141409

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I've done a bit of wheeling on some tough trails, and I've yet to contact anything underneath . . . the Rock Slide Engineering step-sliders have taken most of the punishment thus far. Still, I too am worried about damaging the exhaust components on the trail and passed on a club run yesterday (Lower and Upper Terminator in the Arizona Table Mesa area) as some trails have greater potential for damage.

If you are at all concerned about additional weight on your rig, you might want to consider aluminum belly pans. I have ordered the aluminum belly pans from Next Venture Motorsport, and I expect them within the next week or two.
Please post up what you think once you get that Next Venture belly pan installed. I have the Artech aluminum belly pan on our 2.0T and like it enough I wanted to repeat on the diesel. Since they're still dragging ass on their release date I may change brands.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Please post up what you think once you get that Next Venture belly pan installed. I have the Artech aluminum belly pan on our 2.0T and like it enough I wanted to repeat on the diesel. Since they're still dragging ass on their release date I may change brands.
For sure!

konakona

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSD
Build Thread
Link
I run some decent trails in AZ with no belly skid I haven’t hit the exhaust yet that I know of. My fuel filter skid is my most touched place tho. Last thing I ran was Elvis. Waiting to see what artec is doing before I order next venture skids.

Snowscraper

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Ecodiesel
Just got back from a trip to Moab, both ecodiesels on this trip bent they're exhaust tips. The Metalcloak def skid plate (which we both had) doesn't protect that portion of the exhaust, but it's really no big deal in my opinion. I'm just going to bend it back, or maybe even cut an inch off. Th e Metalcloak DEF Skid plate is money though! Saved my ass several times.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Geos7812

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Just got back from a trip to Moab, both ecodiesels on this trip bent they're exhaust tips. The Metalcloak def skid plate (which we both had) doesn't protect that portion of the exhaust, but it's really no big deal in my opinion. I'm just going to bend it back, or maybe even cut an inch off. Th e Metalcloak DEF Skid plate is money though! Saved my ass several times.
What trails did you do? Also, do you have a full MC Belly Skid or just the DEF skid?

Snowscraper

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Ecodiesel
What trails did you do? Also, do you have a full MC Belly Skid or just the DEF skid?
I did Fins, Hells Revenge, Poison Spider And Golden Spike. I do have they're full skid system. I hey the DEF skid plate probably a half dozen times. Only hit the belly pans once or twice, and my rear diff skid once.

Brian9129

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU ecodiesel
I've just installed the MC Skid plate including the DEF/exhaust skid... I'm on a MC 3.5 Game changer with 38"s... The skid plate was contacting the bolt head for the rear track bar axle side. Talking to MC they are saying my axle is too far to the rear. I've contacted my installer. Just wondering if anyone has ran into any problems as such

BAKNBLK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT diesel
Just a FYI don't bother with a Rock Hard skid plate as they will not clear the control arms of a lifted JLU diesel I was building for a Friend. When I called to ask them about the issue they said add limit straps..IDIOTS!

Had a similar issue with their LS-JK skids they didn't fit.

20201231_094232.jpg

20201231_094243.jpg

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I've just installed the MC Skid plate including the DEF/exhaust skid... I'm on a MC 3.5 Game changer with 38"s... The skid plate was contacting the bolt head for the rear track bar axle side. Talking to MC they are saying my axle is too far to the rear. I've contacted my installer. Just wondering if anyone has ran into any problems as such
I have a RK 3.5 lift and MC skid plates on my diesel and no problems. The only thing I did on my skids is I trimmed the front engine skid to allow for the axle on full flex.
Sponsored