Sponsored

Diesel Exhaust Trail Damage

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I have ordered a 22 JLURD. I currently have a 19 JLUR. I am moderately concerned about exhaust system trail damage. First, should I be and second, what should I do about it?

In my current JLUR, I have contacted bottom a few times, no damage other than a slightly smushed front cross member. We have done trails such as the Alpine Loop, BlackBear, Imogene etc. most of the underbelly contact came on the Bunce School Road to the crash site. I don’t see myself getting much more difficult than this type of trail.

Thanks
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
The Metal Cloak skid plate system pretty much covers everything in the exhaust. Everything important anyway. It even has a DEF tank skid. It's worth it.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I've done a bit of wheeling on some tough trails, and I've yet to contact anything underneath . . . the Rock Slide Engineering step-sliders have taken most of the punishment thus far. Still, I too am worried about damaging the exhaust components on the trail and passed on a club run yesterday (Lower and Upper Terminator in the Arizona Table Mesa area) as some trails have greater potential for damage.

If you are at all concerned about additional weight on your rig, you might want to consider aluminum belly pans. I have ordered the aluminum belly pans from Next Venture Motorsport, and I expect them within the next week or two.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I've done a bit of wheeling on some tough trails, and I've yet to contact anything underneath . . . the Rock Slide Engineering step-sliders have taken most of the punishment thus far. Still, I too am worried about damaging the exhaust components on the trail and passed on a club run yesterday (Lower and Upper Terminator in the Arizona Table Mesa area) as some trails have greater potential for damage.

If you are at all concerned about additional weight on your rig, you might want to consider aluminum belly pans. I have ordered the aluminum belly pans from Next Venture Motorsport, and I expect them within the next week or two.

$2,499.99 !!! no thanks, Rather throw that at 1 tons with 40's

Sponsored

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$2,499.99 !!! no thanks, Rather throw that at 1 tons with 40's
No one is forcing you to buy them.

Steel belly pans start at ~$1,300 . . . aluminum for non diesels start at ~$2,000. Currently, there are not many options for diesels. Artec has been teasing them for over a year and still haven't released them yet, though the JT Gladiator will be first. Next Venture Motorsports are now out in the wild for both the JT and the JL EcoDiesel.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't heard anyone order or review the Rockhard belly pans yet. Are they shipping? I know the Next Venture Motorsports are shipping for both the JL and JT. There's only a $200 price difference between RH and NVM.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't heard anyone order or review the Rockhard belly pans yet. Are they shipping? I know the Next Venture Motorsports are shipping for both the JL and JT. There's only a $200 price difference between RH and NVM.
Cannot confirm. The RH has been on my list since I found them on their website in January.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

Has terminator gotten harder over the years? Doable in a 4 1/2" lifted Gladiator on 37's w/o damage? From what I recall there's some sections where a longer wheel base is a bit challenging.

Sponsored

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't attempted either Terminator trails yet. From what I have seen and heard is that the potential to contact the under belly is high. I completed the Sunflower Mine trail a couple of weeks ago, and my RSE step sliders got a good workout and did a great job of protecting my flanks.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I haven't attempted either Terminator trails yet. From what I have seen and heard is that the potential to contact the under belly is high. I completed the Sunflower Mine trail a couple of weeks ago, and my RSE step sliders got a good workout and did a great job of protecting my flanks.
Yeah sunflower mine actually got kind of rough, especially with the pin striping. I got real bad pin striping there last time.

Terminator wasn't too bad when I ran it 5 years ago. It's been a while. I never contacted the under belly though I ran it in a two door.

What Jeep Club are you in?

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I go out mostly with the Scottsdale Jeepers.

I vinyl wrapped my Wrangler shortly after getting it home to mitigate the pinstriping. Mostly its worked as planned, though I have had a few hard scrapes that delaminated it in a few small areas. Sunflower did give my roof a good scuff (I didn't wrap the roof), but not enough to worry about.

The guys in my club told me there are bypasses for many obstacles on the Terminators, but I elected to just wait until after I get the skid plates before doing them.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Both Terminators have been "improved" with the summer monsoons. A JT will definitely put belly skids to the test as there is some good break-over spots. I've run it a few times lately in the JL and even ran Anaconda (that is getting ROUGH). Since then, I bought a YJ on 42's to do the more hardcore wheeling. There are plenty of lines available for mild to wild to choose from on Terminator, upper and lower. Upper gets tight in a few spots where there is only 1 line, but still doable in a JT.