Diesel Engine in a Jeep - why?

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
What's the benefit of putting a diesel engine in a Jeep Wrangler?

It weighs much more, fuel is much more $$(may last longer but costs more) and to my knowledge is more "sluggish" than the gasoline V6.(plus all other small differences)

Is it one of those "because we can" things or is there a real benefit other than bragging rights??
Sponsored

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
What's the benefit putting a diesel engine in a Jeep?

It weighs much more, fuel is much more $(may last longer but costs more) and to my knowledge is more "sluggish" than the gasoline V6.

Is it one of those "because we can" things or is there a real benefit??
Your guess is as good as mine... I can't stand those coal blowers, doesn't make a bit of sense to me. I guess to each his own...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

It weighs much more, fuel is much more $$(may last longer but costs more) and to my knowledge is more "sluggish" than the gasoline V6.(plus all other small differences)

Is it one of those "because we can" things or is there a real benefit other than bragging rights??
I'm not sure they last longer than a gas engine in a daily driver used on short trips. Especially the newer ones requiring DEF fluid, which is yet another expense. Maintenance costs more all around on a diesel.

I'm sure the power is nice, but it just wouldn't make economic sense, to me.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I think many are looking at the crawling capabilities of the diesel. It may be more sluggish and not as good as a daily driver, but from what I'm reading it's a killer as a rock crawler.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I've heard some here argue fuel mileage/range though I don't buy that reason. Like you already said, fuel cost is quite a bit higher in most places. As a matter of fact, pretty much everything is going to cost more for the diesel. Fuel, oil changes, basic maintenance, etc ...

It seems the people most excited about the diesel are looking forward to the higher torque numbers and the benefits that provides.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

It's not really my thing, but there's this little thing called low-end torque. Maybe you've heard of it?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm not sure they last longer than a gas engine in a daily driver used on short trips. Especially the newer ones requiring DEF fluid, which is yet another expense. Maintenance costs more all around on a diesel.

I think he's saying the fuel lasts longer.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s

Oh Dan, you know they’re going to last just as long and the power is going to be amazing. And if we cared about maintenance, we sure as hell wouldn’t own one of these money pits. Lol
You won’t even notice the small amount of extra weight with the huge power difference and the mileage will also add a smile. I promise they will be a major hit.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Oh Dan, you know they’re going to last just as long and the power is going to be amazing. And if we cared about maintenance, we sure as hell wouldn’t own one of these money pits. Lol
You won’t even notice the small amount of extra weight with the huge power difference and the mileage will also add a smile. I promise they will be a major hit.
Unless I'm mistaken, the 3.6 has more power than the 3.0

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Unless I'm mistaken, the 3.6 has more power than the 3.0
On paper the 3.6 has more power but in real life it won’t even be close because of the low end torque.

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Yes but a completely different power band better suited to off road.
...so 5k more for the diesel, high fuel expense, high maintenance expense, etc.

Why not just re-gear for more low end?

Diesel engines also dont help resale value in vehicles. Big rigs?..maybe. 98% of buyers will be turned off by it.

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
On paper the 3.6 has more power but in real life it won’t even be close because of the low end torque.
Now we're gonna have Jeeps pulling wheelies at the lights

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Certainly depends on the application. Slow wheeling, sure the diesel should feel better. Daily driving, the gasser will feel better. That's basically what the reviews are saying too.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
...so 5k more for the diesel, high fuel expense, high maintenance expense, etc.

Why not just re-gear for more low end?

Diesel engines also dont help resale value in vehicles. Big rigs?..maybe. 98% of buyers will be turned off by it.
Lol. Re-gear is already a necessity. It's not the same as off-idle torque. Like I said, I'm not sold on a Fiat diesel, but I can understand the draw. Both turbo motors are gonna have more options for tuners as well.
Sponsored