Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Naw, I think we're all in agreement!
Gotta keep things lively here lol... We're stuck at home or Stuck in the Office.
Sponsored

Zorba

Pretty much, huh? I'd love to have a steam powered vehicle of some kind - I think it'd be fun!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much, huh? I'd love to have a steam powered vehicle of some kind - I think it'd be fun!
Jay Leno has a few he's done videos on. They're pretty cool old Stanley Steamer cars.

Zorba

That might be interesting - although its my understanding that steam turbines don't scale down well. But I've been advocating diesel electric hybrids for years.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
because you may live in Europe where gas isn't cheap and so many opt for diesels otherwise I would go with the powerful and well tested 3.6

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I bought my JLUR as a hunting/daily. I have a pickup as well. I really don't see any characteristics of a small diesel that look attractive for my uses and preferences. Diesels are noisy and stink. I want quiet and no smell. But there's now something for the guy that wanted a diesel in a JL. More choices is good.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I have no issue with a Wrangler diesel for the folks that want one. What I would like to see though is Hemi Wranglers.

I had my JKU converted to a V8 with an LS 5.3L and 6L80 transmission. Made a whole different vehicle out of it. That's one i should have kept.
20180207_160804 (Medium).jpg

Zorba

I bought my JLUR as a hunting/daily. I have a pickup as well. I really don't see any characteristics of a small diesel that look attractive for my uses and preferences. Diesels are noisy and stink. I want quiet and no smell. But there's now something for the guy that wanted a diesel in a JL. More choices is good.
Ah, I love the smell of diesel in the morning! :clap: The sound is 3/4s of why I love diesels so much - if you want quiet, get an electric. ;)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ah, I love the smell of diesel in the morning! :clap: The sound is 3/4s of why I love diesels so much - if you want quiet, get an electric. ;)
They have their place. My plan, until I lost my shorts in the market recently, was to buy a 30-32 ft diesel RV. Still likely to happen, just maybe not a new one. I have no desire for a gas RV.

Sponsored

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
That might be interesting - although its my understanding that steam turbines don't scale down well. But I've been advocating diesel electric hybrids for years.
Me too! I've always wanted to convert an older Wrangler or CJ into a diesel / electric hybrid. Diesel generator under the hood operating at optimal stochiometric ratio, with a small array of batteries to act as acceleration capacitors when needed. Regenerative braking. A motor at each wheel. It would reduce so much of the driveline problems that plague lifted vehicles.

My interest wasn't in "going eco" - although there's potential in the concept to reduce emissions. I was interested in it purely for the off-road performance. Not to mention, with a little bit of programming on a Raspberry Pi or something similar, you could implement torque vectoring at each wheel. The off-road maneuverability would be unmatched. Like a skid-steer on 40s.

I actually considered starting a GoFundMe to do it and trying to get it into SEMA or other shows like that.

… maybe I still should ...

Anyway... bringing it back to the OP's question... I think diesels have their place in the Wrangler line-up. They're definitely not for everyone though.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Me too! I've always wanted to convert an older Wrangler or CJ into a diesel / electric hybrid. Diesel generator under the hood operating at optimal stochiometric ratio, with a small array of batteries to act as acceleration capacitors when needed. Regenerative braking. A motor at each wheel. It would reduce so much of the driveline problems that plague lifted vehicles.

My interest wasn't in "going eco" - although there's potential in the concept to reduce emissions. I was interested in it purely for the off-road performance. Not to mention, with a little bit of programming on a Raspberry Pi or something similar, you could implement torque vectoring at each wheel. The off-road maneuverability would be unmatched. Like a skid-steer on 40s.

I actually considered starting a GoFundMe to do it and trying to get it into SEMA or other shows like that.

… maybe I still should ...

Anyway... bringing it back to the OP's question... I think diesels have their place in the Wrangler line-up. They're definitely not for everyone though.
If you get funded, make the electric motor unit a bolt in replacement for the axles. That way it would work with existing OEM/aftermarket suspensions, and be a simple retrofit to other straight axled vehicles. You wouldn't even need a differential with some programming and a steering angle sensor, and could keep the one motor per wheel concept for some sweet skid-steer action.

Edit: like this https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/dana-s-e-axle-enters-production-china

Dana es5700r.png

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
If you get funded, make the electric motor unit a bolt in replacement for the axles. That way it would work with existing OEM/aftermarket suspensions, and be a simple retrofit to other straight axled vehicles. You wouldn't even need a differential with some programming and a steering angle sensor, and could keep the one motor per wheel concept for some sweet skid-steer action.
That was precisely the plan. : )
Sponsored