KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Here's a reason that will make everyone else think I'm crazy...... Because it's better for the environment.

Also gobs of torque at less than 1k RPM
Your going to need it for the addition 500lbs of weight the diesel adds lol

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
No, it really isn’t. As before, my turbo will still run circles around my V6 any day, as will the diesel over both gas variants. Not sure why there is even a debate about power. Maintenance and cost will be a different issue.
I was referring to the fact that there is a thread like this, not disputing the power output of either motor. As long as FCA gives an option, someone will say it's crap on the forum.

Sponsored

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
And amazingly, 99% of rock crawlers, buggy's and off road vehicles in general seem to be gassers.
Depends on the market you are looking at.

My JK was a diesel, even more, it was the only power plant offered here.
Now with the choice in between the 2.0T and 2.2 diesel (3.0D nor 3.6 are offered here), I went for the turbo since we have little opportunities to offroad. If we were to have more, I would without a single doubt go for the Diesel!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I think many are looking at the crawling capabilities of the diesel. It may be more sluggish and not as good as a daily driver, but from what I'm reading it's a killer as a rock crawler.
Low speed operation of a modern diesel will cause very frequent regens (which while they are happening typically have less power available). It will be interesting to say the least to see how this diesel engine works out for Jeeps (used as Jeeps) in the long run.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Depends on the market you are looking at.

My JK was a diesel, even more, it was the only power plant offered here.
Now with the choice in between the 2.0T and 2.2 diesel (3.0D nor 3.6 are offered here), I went for the turbo since we have little opportunities to offroad. If we were to have more, I would without a single doubt go for the Diesel!
Obviously I'm talking about the American/Canadian market as 99% of people here belong to that segment.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
not necessarily. The engine in my CJ5 (258 I6) doesn’t have much power but it provides around 200 ft-lbs of torque at idle. My JL with a 3.6 needs about 3,000 rpm to achieve that much torque. That is a lot of clutch slipping if you are trying to keep your speed down when crawling over rocks.
Ok, let's back away from paper and get to the real world. That is not at all how the V6 behaves on the rocks in low range, particularly in a Rubicon. I've idled up steep hills in low range, 1st gear. Rock crawling is about gear ratios. The Rubicon with a manual, 4.10 final drive, and 4:1 transfer case can literally idle up just about anything.

There is an 84.2:1 crawl ratio with a Rubicon manual, and 77.2:1 with the auto. The 2.0 and V6 both will have zero issues in the rocks with power. None. Nada. Those are the best crawl ratios yet in a Wrangler, and they are attached to the two most powerful engines, the 2.0 and 3.6.

Also, for the record, the V6 also gets 90% of its torque at under 2000 rpm. The torque curve is flat. If the 3000 rpm statement's purpose is hyperbole, then fine. If you are talking peak torque, fine. But the fact is that you don't have to get to 3000 rpm to get into the torque band on that engine. It comes much, much lower than that.

Maybe the 2.0 runs rings around it with the auto, but the manual V6 is the quickest production Jeep ever made, 0-60, and I'd bet in the quarter mile, as well. I seriously doubt the auto is much different, but I'm not as familiar with the auto and how it feels. I've only driven it a couple times. I've driven the 2.0, and it does feel strong in city driving.

The diesel is going to be amazing off road, but the 2.0 and 3.6 are absolutely 100% fine in that realm. They simply don't struggle in low range. If they do, you are in the wrong gear.

For the record, I've seen numerous Rubicons with the 3.6 and 37's crawling all over the place and their drivers with huge smiles as they went. Nobody was getting north of 2000 rpm, either, uless on a smooth trail or in the dunes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I put this together a while back, there may be better data on the 3.0 now (curve is estimated off of known data points). All other curves are accurate.

torque-output-png.png
I spy 200lb of torque at about 1800 rpm. Maybe a little less.

Myth busted.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the V6 is one of the most misunderstood Jeep engines ever out there, and it is based on assumptions about multivalve overhead cam engines that are based on their typical powerband performance from the 70's through the 90's.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I used to be a fan of diesel until I had first hand experiences with them.

We have three F-550’s at work. Two are the 6.7 V8 oil burner and the other a 6.8 V10 gasser.

When towing 7k+ lbs the diesel wins hands down. The gasser still does the job, it just works a lot harder.

But when it comes to maintenance the gasser wins no contest. With under 100k I can’t count how many times both diesel’s have been in the shop for repair. There is constantly something breaking and it’s never cheap. While the gasser has had nothing but regular oil changes.

It’s also nice to not worry about a block heater and fuel gelling in the winter with a gas motor.

Last edited: