First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I was out wheeling today. I got to a big mud hole with a steep, slick, deeply rutted mud embankment coming out up the other side. Most every type of vehicle has some issue no matter what line they took. A H1 diesel came along at the end. Not lifted. Big wide wheels, rubber band tires. He takes the worst line, drops his street tires into the ruts. Howā€™d he make it up? Low end diesel torque. Lots and lots of it.

Thatā€™s one reason why some people would want a diesel powered Jeep. Towing is another I can think of.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Lol. Re-gear is already a necessity. It's not the same as off-idle torque. Like I said, I'm not sold on a Fiat diesel, but I can understand the draw. Both turbo motors are gonna have more options for tuners as well.
Meh

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I was out wheeling today. I got to a big mud hole with a steep, slick, deeply rutted mud embankment coming out up the other side. Most every type of vehicle has some issue no matter what line they took. A H1 diesel came along at the end. Not lifted. Big wide wheels, rubber band tires. He takes the worst line, drops his street tires into the ruts. Howā€™d he make it up? Low end diesel torque. Lots and lots of it.

Thatā€™s one reason why some people would want a diesel powered Jeep. Towing is another I can think of.
Yes, because he has those special spider man tires.

Driver experience and ability worth WAAY more than low end torque.

Your tires only get so much friction - a diesel offers no special powers

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I've heard some here argue fuel mileage/range though I don't buy that reason. Like you already said, fuel cost is quite a bit higher in most places. As a matter of fact, pretty much everything is going to cost more for the diesel. Fuel, oil changes, basic maintenance, etc ...

It seems the people most excited about the diesel are looking forward to the higher torque numbers and the benefits that provides.
Iā€™ve heard the high torque arguments. But you arenā€™t towing. The power doesnā€™t limit towing itā€™s the braking on the Jeep so tow rating is the same.

As far as rock crawling Iā€™m not yet off-roading so I canā€™t speak to it except to say that Jeeps have more power and torque that ever in their petrol engines and even the old ones climbed just fine. You just have to rev higher.

But if people see an advantage, enjoy them, and MAINTAIN them (please donā€™t be plowing down the highway soot in tow) then more power to em.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
(please donā€™t be plowing down the highway soot in tow) then more power to em.
I'll be plowing down the highway at ~30 MPG and making 440 ft-lbs at 1400 RPM on the trail. You'll be in the teens and making up for torque with high RPMs.

Gas v. Diesel is a worthless comparison. Get what is right for you based on your intended use of the vehicle, finances, and priorities.

For me it's a diesel. YMMV.

Jeepā€™n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I have had this argument with my good buddies for years....why a diesel? Gas has always got me where I needed and done what I needed it to do. Gas costs less, is WAY less to fix should something break, and I can fix most items with gas. Also gas will easily go 300k these days with care. One other thing, the 3.6 with 8 speed is frickin amazing. I can pull my trailer up hill and pass people, it's great!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Yes, because he has those special spider man tires.

Driver experience and ability worth WAAY more than low end torque.

Your tires only get so much friction - a diesel offers no special powers
I donā€™t know if you misunderstood what I said or are being intentionally obtuse. Maybe I explained it poorly.

His tires were garbage for off road use, as in lacking friction in the mud because they are street tires. His ability was crap. Iā€™m inexperienced and could see he took the worst possible line. The one thing that got him up there was lots of low end torque and staying on the pedal. The diesel engineā€™s special power was low end torque that a gasoline engine simply doesnā€™t have.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I donā€™t know if you misunderstood what I said or are being intentionally obtuse. Maybe I explained it poorly.

His tires were garbage for off road use, as in lacking friction in the mud because they are street tires. His ability was crap. Iā€™m inexperienced and could see he took the worst possible line. The one thing that got him up there was lots of low end torque and staying on the pedal. The diesel engineā€™s special power was low end torque that a gasoline engine simply doesnā€™t have.
I'm with @KnG818 on this one. I have no idea why low end torque alone would get you through a big mud hole. More explanation is needed here.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
This is like the 2.0 vs 3.6 all over again.
No, it really isnā€™t. As before, my turbo will still run circles around my V6 any day, as will the diesel over both gas variants. Not sure why there is even a debate about power. Maintenance and cost will be a different issue.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Iā€™ve owned two diesels a 2012 VW Jetta SportWagen, and a 2015 BMW 328d M Sport Wagon.

Nobody makes better diesels than the Germans. Nobody. Yet the VW was famous for blowing the high pressure fuel pump due to the low lubricity of US low-sulphur diesel. My fuel pump never caused me issues, but the emissions system failed twice, thankfully under warranty. The 328d had a better engine, but ultimately I got rid of it as it didnā€™t even reach operating temps after a 15 minute commute in the Colorado winter. I did a Blackstone UOA which showed the engine was wearing at an accelerated rated.

Diesels have their place, but not in my life.

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜73 CJ5, ā€˜19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

As far as rock crawling Iā€™m not yet off-roading so I canā€™t speak to it except to say that Jeeps have more power and torque that ever in their petrol engines and even the old ones climbed just fine. You just have to rev higher.
not necessarily. The engine in my CJ5 (258 I6) doesnā€™t have much power but it provides around 200 ft-lbs of torque at idle. My JL with a 3.6 needs about 3,000 rpm to achieve that much torque. That is a lot of clutch slipping if you are trying to keep your speed down when crawling over rocks.

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon

Nope, you explained yourself just fine.

My point was no matter how much torque you have, if you have no friction on the tires it wont help.
Sponsored