Diesel Burns oil

EcoDRubi1

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl eco diesel. 2020 gladiator
8800 miles on my 2020 JL Diesel. Oil pressure light came on at 5000, took a quart and a half. At 8800 nothing shows on dipstick. Looks like it ate another quart. ANY THOUGHTS???
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Who knows man, new engine. Did you follow the break in procedure?

Also, I like those wheels on the blue Jeep. Looks good.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
That is a lot, and dangerous, when it burns that much. I would check it every 300-500 miles, to be on the safe side.
I know it sounds contrary to what we have been taught, with gas engines, but diesels don't break in the same. After 500-1000 miles of normal driving, drive it like you stole it. Or, the rings might not seat properly. Oh, change the oil at 1000 miles, then drive it like you stole it. Or, load up with a heavy trailer, and pull it around, up and down mountains preferably.
diesels are meant to be driven hard, and the more you baby them, the more things can go wrong with the engine, DPF, EGR, etc.
My 06 Cummins didnt relax and feel broken in, until after 150,000 miles, because I didn't do any towing.

OP
OP
EcoDRubi1

EcoDRubi1

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who knows man, new engine. Did you follow the break in procedure?

Also, I like those wheels on the blue Jeep. Looks good.
Thanks ! Yea just ordered a diesel gladiator trading my gas but this oil burning is irritating. Dealer is working on it.

OP
OP
EcoDRubi1

EcoDRubi1

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is a lot, and dangerous, when it burns that much. I would check it every 300-500 miles, to be on the safe side.
I know it sounds contrary to what we have been taught, with gas engines, but diesels don't break in the same. After 500-1000 miles of normal driving, drive it like you stole it. Or, the rings might not seat properly. Oh, change the oil at 1000 miles, then drive it like you stole it. Or, load up with a heavy trailer, and pull it around, up and down mountains preferably.
diesels are meant to be driven hard, and the more you baby them, the more things can go wrong with the engine, DPF, EGR, etc.
My 06 Cummins didnt relax and feel broken in, until after 150,000 miles, because I didn't do any towing.
Yea I have already had an eco diesel ram implode and got a new engine at 5200 miles. Have a Cummins, no probs there, not givin up on the product, just frustrated. I put most miles runnin down fwy to Georgia and Florida - just can’t believe the damn thing is burnin oil.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Gonna go with a no here, OP would probably notice several quarts of oil overflowing his coolant reservoir

This is a distinct possibility.

OP
OP
EcoDRubi1

EcoDRubi1

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good ideas to check. The oil light never came on. It was the oil pressure sensor . It was low- showing 18 psi. That light plus me Uconnect notification email came through.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Good ideas to check. The oil light never came on. It was the oil pressure sensor . It was low- showing 18 psi. That light plus me Uconnect notification email came through.
That is the oil light, or at least the precursor to the red one. There is no oil level sensor.

Edit: actually, I have no idea if there is a level sensor on the diesel, but I doubt it.

If you are mechanically savvy or have a dealer that is useful, take a look in your air intake for pooled up oil.

OP
OP
EcoDRubi1

EcoDRubi1

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is the oil light, or at least the precursor to the red one. There is no oil level sensor.

Edit: actually, I have no idea if there is a level sensor on the diesel, but I doubt it.

If you are mechanically savvy or have a dealer that is useful, take a look in your air intake for pooled up oil.
It looks like it is getting i. The coolant. The reservoir is dark grey.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
This isn't your grandpa's diesel, it shouldn't burn or lose any oil, if it makes oil or burns oil take it in and don't guess about it because it isn't your problem its the warranties problem. Top it off and take it in.

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
This isn't your grandpa's diesel, it shouldn't burn or lose any oil, if it makes oil or burns oil take it in and don't guess about it because it isn't your problem its the warranties problem. Top it off and take it in.
Many brand new vehicles lose oil in one way or another. Most people just have no idea it's happening.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
It looks like it is getting i. The coolant. The reservoir is dark grey.
Stop driving it. I've had this happen to my sons first car, a 2001 Buick Century. The intake gasket needed replacing. It could have destroyed the.engine, but I caught it early. Great car after that. It was literally a little old lady's car. She died, and it hadnt been driven in years. Very low milage, but the gasket shrunk, from not being used.
i can't say this is your case.
Sponsored