First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
From a former builder point of view, the 392 is an outstanding street performance production engine. Off-road, I’ve no idea but the broad, flat, copious torque curve...:like:

Even the mpg in Eco mode...
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
It is a concept vehicle! I wouldn’t wait! The diesel is awesome ALL the time off-road and gets great gas mileage and awesome range. Quite a few people have put 37s and didn’t need to re-gear.

I would go for the diesel and not wait!
I'd be cautious with this statement as many put 37's on 2.0L with the 4.10's and happy how it drives as well.

I hit the trails with a JLUD with 37's that went from the factory 3.7's to 4.56's and picked up 3.7 mpg average. That's huge! That tells me the factory 3.7's and 37's and his driving style were not optimal. He also says it drives a ton better; way less regeneration cycles, and the DEF tank needs filling a lot less often. From my limited seat time it's a beast.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I'd be cautious with this statement as many put 37's on 2.0L with the 4.10's and happy how it drives as well.

I hit the trails with a JLUD with 37's that went from the factory 3.7's to 4.56's and picked up 3.7 mpg average. That's huge! That tells me the factory 3.7's and 37's and his driving style were not optimal. He also says it drives a ton better; way less regeneration cycles, and the DEF tank needs filling a lot less often. From my limited seat time it's a beast.
Interesting observation about less regeneration.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Interesting observation about less regeneration.
Yes, I thought so as well.

But thinking about it makes sense, as you are operating the engine at about 13% lower RPM but at a higher load with 37's and the factory ratio. This is probably getting you outside the optimal operating range or on the edge of it, and the result is more regeneration cycles which means more diesel burnt, more DEF burnt, and diminished performance. Also who knows what the longer term impacts are.

But his JLUD with the 4.56's drives nice.

But you do still smell the DEF with the top down and slow speeds - anyone who says you can't is not being honest. It's definitely noticeable. Even on the JLUD demo I took out you could smell it.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350

But thinking about it makes sense, as you are operating the engine at about 13% lower RPM but at a higher load with 37's and the factory ratio. This is probably getting you outside the optimal operating range or on the edge of it, and the result is more regeneration cycles which means more diesel burnt, more DEF burnt, and diminished performance. Also who knows what the longer term impacts are.

But you do still smell the DEF with the top down and slow speeds - anyone who says you can't is not being honest. It's definitely noticeable. Even on the JLUD demo I took out you could smell it.
You really need to just speak for yourself. No one in my family can tell a lick of difference when it goes into regen. Dishonest? Like we're trying to fool people? WTF are you on about? If you can smell yours maybe there is something wrong/right with it. Maybe you are extra sensitive to it. I don't know. I've smelled plenty of diesels in regen and this one I can't catch a whiff.

Sponsored

Myopik

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Personal Banker

I have 37s on my 2.0L with the 4.10 gears and have no intentions of re-gearing it. I can cruise at 75mph on the highway no problem and it doesn't feel like I lost much in acceleration compared to the stock 33s. I'm also averaging 19.5 MPG right now as well with 37s, so no complaints here.

Note: I've fixed my tire size with the Tazer Mini so my MPG should be reading correctly, and I also have the 8-speed auto (the only option for the 2.0L).

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
You really need to just speak for yourself. No one in my family can tell a lick of difference when it goes into regen. Dishonest? Like we're trying to fool people? WTF are you on about? If you can smell yours maybe there is something wrong/right with it. Maybe you are extra sensitive to it. I don't know. I've smelled plenty of diesels in regen and this one I can't catch a whiff.
So..... I need to speak for myself yet you can speak for many?

Anyhow, many have commented they can smell it; and some also get watery eyes from the exhaust during regeneration. Just yesterday we were out and even though he had on-board air he borrowed mine so he didn't have to let it idle in a big group of people "as it stinks"

It's a pretty common issue for those who actually take their diesels off road at lower speeds with the top down. On the highway you'd never notice it.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I have 37s on my 2.0L with the 4.10 gears and have no intentions of re-gearing it. I can cruise at 75mph on the highway no problem and it doesn't feel like I lost much in acceleration compared to the stock 33s. I'm also averaging 19.5 MPG right now as well with 37s, so no complaints here.

Note: I've fixed my tire size with the Tazer Mini so my MPG should be reading correctly, and I also have the 8-speed auto (the only option for the 2.0L).
My comment was just that - the diesel is not alone for having people claiming it drives well with the factory gears and 37's.

If you are happy with how it drives great!! You saved yourself $1500 in a gear swap.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
So..... I need to speak for myself yet you can speak for many?

Anyhow, many have commented they can smell it; and some also get watery eyes from the exhaust during regeneration. Just yesterday we were out and even though he had on-board air he borrowed mine so he didn't have to let it idle in a big group of people "as it stinks"

It's a pretty common issue for those who actually take their diesels off road at lower speeds with the top down. On the highway you'd never notice it.
How am I speaking for everyone? Are you claiming I am the only 3.0L diesel owner that has stated here on the board, "I can't smell it"? You said

That is accusing everyone of lying. So speak for yourself (i.e. you can smell it, but you can't figure out why no one else can?) Everyone who claims they can't smell a regen in their 3.0L Wrangler is not being dishonest.

This is one of the dumber things to argue. I don't know why I'm bothering, but here goes. This is kind of the equivalent of telling someone that any time a 5'-10" 185 lb male goes for a jog you can definitely smell his sweat when he sits down a few feet away. How can one make that assertion?

Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co

can you ask him what RPM he’s running at 75mph in 8th?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Yeah true that but some areas dont have premium.
Most engines that are supposed to use Premium, dont have to use it. It's just designed to use it, for optimal performance. Also, there is octane booster you can pour into your tank. Many old Hot Rods have to have this.

Drooler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon

Holy cow. I hope this ain’t a joke.

The official Jeep Instagram page says Production model shown. Available in 2021.

Thoughts??
Sponsored