ChadT

First Name
CHAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR, 2017 JKR Lots of mods
Owner bias.....

Have had my diesel for 3 months..... I love the sound of a throaty V8 as you stomp the pedal to the floor roar down the onramp and listen to it sing.....

That said I don’t see my Jeep as an exotic sports car. Ridden with many LS v8 swaps and they sound great on startup but rolling down the trail at 10 miles an hour the exhaust music just isn't the same (I know not quite the same as the Hemi swap).

My diesel clack is there all on the low end and I personally love it. Every time I start it up I smile a bit. Torque is where it is at and there really isn’t a huge difference in spec sheets there other than I am sure the diesel provides it at much lower rpm peak than the gasser 8 will.

They are both niche vehicles seems to me and I am not sure the market can truly support both. They put the hemi powertrain into the grand Cherokee and tweaked it (lowered, bigger brakes) to make it the SRT then the track hawk.... meant for the track.... They don’t seem to be moving many of those....

I just can’t see how they will support both of these powertrains. As some have eluded the V8 is about speed, to me speed and the wrangler don’t go together. Give me the torque.... That’s what I got, the torquey diesel. The Hemi will be heavier in the nose. While the diesel is “heavier” how much seems to be a bit variable but it also seems to be spread out and balance front to back per some of the other threads (see Metalcloak lift discussions). Don’t think I would have gone HEMI even if available now....

FWTW
I'm in this thinking camp. Maybe it will be marketed as some kind of SRT Wrangler or such but I have zero interest in a high horsepower V8 Wrangler, hell I didn't even spring for the 2.0T on ours. I like simple reliability and don't see a use personally for more weight in the front, higher fuel consumption and insane power to weight ratio that really wont mater when the pavement ends and your in 4LO anyway

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
Have driven a diesel for years, mostly big trucks. However after driving the sprinter series vans with diesels there is no way I would spend money on one. Way to much maintenance, and I’m referring to what you cannot do without scanners and such. Sensors always going bad along with way to many small things constantly going bad. Not to mention they are real dogs, can’t get out of their own way. I Know things are newer and redesigned but I still wouldn’t trust it. Plus there is no mpg gains after adding up the maintenance costs, added purchase price. My money says v8 392 cannot be beat. I owned a Grand Cherokee SRT 8 and personally would have waited myself to get the 392. What a great motor, and I even got 18-19 mpg when deleting that foolish cylinder deactivation and ran on all 8 cyl full time.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
Just wait until everyone that buys a diesel has to replace the clogged cat, and no they will not be covered under warranty forever. I personally have seen Ram trucks sitting at the dealership for weeks waiting on parts. I’m also surprised that no one has mention the horrible exhaust smell, think def fluid burning. I can’t imagine taking the family off-road or driving down the beach with the top off on a nice sunny day with wind blowing the diesel exhaust into the Jeep.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Just wait until everyone that buys a diesel has to replace the clogged cat, and no they will not be covered under warranty forever. I personally have seen Ram trucks sitting at the dealership for weeks waiting on parts. I’m also surprised that no one has mention the horrible exhaust smell, think def fluid burning. I can’t imagine taking the family off-road or driving down the beach with the top off on a nice sunny day with wind blowing the diesel exhaust into the Jeep.
There is no discernible smell to the regen cycles on this 3.0L in the Wrangler. My 07.5 LMM Duramax I could easily tell when it went into regen. Many other diesels on the road I can smell if close enough at a stoplight. But this one doesn't smell at all.

Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I have had my Diesel for a week now, totally pleased so far. Just wish we had some exhaust options.
Just go to your local exhaust guy and have him put a 4" drop and run it straight back? Yea why not....

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
There have been others with oil leaks and a couple of guys on the 5th Gen Ram 1500 group that have even had complete engine failures before they got to the first oil change. Hopefully FCA will get a grip on this soon.
Complete engine failures on the new Gen 3 already?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Complete engine failures on the new Gen 3 already?
Yep the last one I saw was at around 3,100 miles and when the dealership pulled his oil pan off it was full of gold flake, likely from crank bearings. He got a new long block.

Dealer still has mine, no word yet on why the front of the engine block is wet with oil. Overnight, two other guys posted in the 3rd Gen EcoDiesel forum over on the Ram site that their trucks are at the dealer for the exact same issue.

Unfortunately, the EcoDiesel problems did not go away with Gen 3. This is now the third new European engine the wife and I have owned, and all three have been problematic. There'll never be a European engine in my driveway again. Ever.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Yep the last one I saw was at around 3,100 miles and when the dealership pulled his oil pan off it was full of gold flake, likely from crank bearings. He got a new long block.

Dealer still has mine, no word yet on why the front of the engine block is wet with oil. Overnight, two other guys posted in the 3rd Gen EcoDiesel forum over on the Ram site that their trucks are at the dealer for the exact same issue.

Unfortunately, the EcoDiesel problems did not go away with Gen 3. This is now the third new European engine the wife and I have owned, and all three have been problematic. There'll never be a European engine in my driveway again. Ever.
I'm the one who started that thread on 5thGenRams. Now I know there is a problem since I'm not the only one with oil leaking out on the front of the engine. So much for the "new and improved" EcoDiesel. :facepalm:

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350

That's it, screw it, I'm gonna change the oil and send some off to be tested. I'm only at 2200 miles or so, but I think I'd like to know now if there's something going on or not. It'd be nice to get a handle on any issues before they are able to blame my emissions reliability upgrades.

I'm sure it is a very small percentage of engines that would even have this problem, but it can't hurt to see if anything looks amiss. Sucks as I'm running this fuel catalyst that shows up as abnormally high iron in UOA's, so that will skew a report at least slightly. Hopefully I'll get a report that gives me the warm fuzzies. Even though I know you need to have tons of reports to get a good baseline.

Ah it just messes with me to hear this. Wasn't sure if I was going to try to keep the warranty more or less intact, but now I'm leaning towards not worrying about it. So enough of my whining about what might be!

@WXman are you going to get rid of it then? Just curious because if I was that set against it, I'd be sending it down the road.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That's it, screw it, I'm gonna change the oil and send some off to be tested. I'm only at 2200 miles or so, but I think I'd like to know now if there's something going on or not. It'd be nice to get a handle on any issues before they are able to blame my emissions reliability upgrades.

I'm sure it is a very small percentage of engines that would even have this problem, but it can't hurt to see if anything looks amiss. Sucks as I'm running this fuel catalyst that shows up as abnormally high iron in UOA's, so that will skew a report at least slightly. Hopefully I'll get a report that gives me the warm fuzzies. Even though I know you need to have tons of reports to get a good baseline.

Ah it just messes with me to hear this. Wasn't sure if I was going to try to keep the warranty more or less intact, but now I'm leaning towards not worrying about it. So enough of my whining about what might be!

@WXman are you going to get rid of it then? Just curious because if I was that set against it, I'd be sending it down the road.

I got an oil analysis done a few weeks ago and it looked great. Then...the truck started marking its territory. I don't think oil analysis is going to indicate issues at this point on the odometer.

And yes, this truck will not make it beyond warranty in my driveway. As soon as I make it to the break even point on the lease, she's gone. I was going to move back into a Gladiator with this diesel engine to have the best of both worlds, but now I think I'll just stick with the Pentastar or Hemi from now on.

cold gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler JKU on 41.5" Pitbull rockers. A few mods
OP your question is way too vague. depends on personal situation a lot I think.
But if you get a diesel one now, if the V8 one comes out later and you want it, the resale on them is typically so strong it wont hurt that much to swap later, assuming you haven't dropped 30K plus on mods in which case you better love it. haha
Myself, I love diesels, I am scared of the emissions junk on them now. Worried they will want regen when am on a trail and get into limp mode. My nightmare. So I am on the fence myself as well.

Only you know what you need. If you want some of us to push you off the edge to diesel one now though, just ask I am sure many more will agree its not a bad idea.

Matx

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU
Incoming SRT8 Wrangler with a 80k price tag!....
also remember that the hemi dont like regular unleaded fuel. (Tick)

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Incoming SRT8 Wrangler with a 80k price tag!....
also remember that the hemi dont like regular unleaded fuel. (Tick)
If you can spend that much on a car/truck, then you shouldnt have to worry about Premium costs.
Sponsored