diesel 3.0 or wait for V8 392

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Thanks for all the replies. For my use, I think the diesel is still my path. I'm not on any deadline so waiting is an option, I have a great TJ and travel all over the country finding places to wheel. This vehicle will have multiple uses - not only used off road, pulled behind RV(toad), and sometime pull small travel trailer. The extra range of the diesel along with the torque are what drew me to the diesel in the first place. A poster mentioned range on the 392 and that got me thinking what my use will be for this jeep.
So, I'm off to dealer roulette next week. My closest three or four dealers will get first shot, if not getting decent % below invoice then I'll see what out of state dealer makes sense for me.
contact Kent at Peterson Jeep in Nampa, Idaho if you’re willing to travel.
45 minutes to sign docs and 7% off invoice
Sponsored

OP
OP
DwnSth

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
contact Kent at Peterson Jeep in Nampa, Idaho if you’re willing to travel.
45 minutes to sign docs and 7% off invoice
Thanks. Probably a bit far unless I'm simply finding no deals at all. The rule I have right now (with no real logic) is I'll travel as far as I can get in two days in my motorhome if can save me 3% on a no hassle deal. Not sure if the economics are there but if nothing else I make a trip out of it. I will actually be in Idaho early summer next year on a planned west trip but I'll probably have the TJ in tow on that trip.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Jeep has done small exclusive runs in the past. I fully expect to have less than a thousand total built, if it even happens.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
They teased it. They showed pictures. Multiple pictures. There are mules driving around. And they have direct competition coming several months from now....very strong direct competition.

Jeep has EVERY reason to offer the 392 Hemi Wrangler, and this is a company that stuffs V8s with blowers into everything from sedans to SUVs to pickup trucks. It's going to happen. There's going to be a V8 Wrangler next year.

Question is: what's your use case? Do you want superior fuel economy and range? Or do you want a Jeep that will drag a trailer like it's not even there, run 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, sound like heaven every time you turn the key, smoke the tires at will, crawl over everything in its path, make Broncos cry at every red light, and become a collectible 10 years from now?

I know which way I'd go. I have the Gen 3 diesel in the 480 lb/ft Ram trim right now and if the 6.4L Hemi was an option in this truck I'd swap in a heartbeat.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Or do you want a Jeep that will drag a trailer like it's not even there, run 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, sound like heaven every time you turn the key, smoke the tires at will, crawl over everything in its path, make Broncos cry at every red light, and become a collectible 10 years from now?
I've owned cars where their power vastly overwhelmed their handling. That can bite you quickly (watch any cars & coffee video). This vehicle will cause their owners some pain if they are not very careful. And...if you were planning to be very careful, what would even attract you to this vehicle? Bottom line: keep your eye out for the YouTube videos. :)

[nearly 500 bhp transmitted to the ground in a top-heavy vehicle riding on oversize mud terrain tires - what could possibly go wrong?]

Give me stump-pulling diesel power...and 25 mpg.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
It's going to happen. There's going to be a V8 Wrangler next year.

Question is: what's your use case? Do you want superior fuel economy and range? Or do you want a Jeep that will drag a trailer like it's not even there, run 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, sound like heaven every time you turn the key, smoke the tires at will, crawl over everything in its path, make Broncos cry at every red light, and become a collectible 10 years from now?
It will have to come with a spare-tire delete + a 40 gallon fuel tank :LOL:
(If they build it you bet yer booties I'll be seriously considering one tho :bandit: )

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
If they come out with a 392 Wrangler, I will get one. I'm still watching you guys, with your diesel Test Mules, to see what bugs pop up. Might get a diesel Wrangler in a few years, if it proves to be reliable, long term.

gijohn56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
rumor is that the diesel builds are on hold due to something found during a final inspection on one of the jeeps.... might be due to the diesel investigation in Germany/Italy no one really knows. My build has been in D1 status for going on 45 days now.

Sponsored

BEEBOB

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL ECODIESEL Sport S
Occupation
Nuclear I&C
I have had my Diesel for a week now, totally pleased so far. Just wish we had some exhaust options.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I have had my Diesel for a week now, totally pleased so far. Just wish we had some exhaust options.
I have a diesel on order, but it's my first, so I'm a little naive. I've added freer flowing exhausts on a few of my vehicles in the past, with pleasing (to the ear) results. Given that a diesel's aural qualities are, for want of a better word, different, what is the end result? More pleasing tone? Throatier? Volume?

BEEBOB

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL ECODIESEL Sport S
Occupation
Nuclear I&C
I have a diesel on order, but it's my first, so I'm a little naive. I've added freer flowing exhausts on a few of my vehicles in the past, with pleasing (to the ear) results. Given that a diesel's aural qualities are, for want of a better word, different, what is the end result? More pleasing tone? Throatier? Volume?
Man its so quiet, Its not a bad thing just would like to hear it more. Not that I wanna go rolling coal. Just a little louder with more tone I guess.

Dieselruby

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Owner bias.....

Have had my diesel for 3 months..... I love the sound of a throaty V8 as you stomp the pedal to the floor roar down the onramp and listen to it sing.....

That said I don’t see my Jeep as an exotic sports car. Ridden with many LS v8 swaps and they sound great on startup but rolling down the trail at 10 miles an hour the exhaust music just isn't the same (I know not quite the same as the Hemi swap).

My diesel clack is there all on the low end and I personally love it. Every time I start it up I smile a bit. Torque is where it is at and there really isn’t a huge difference in spec sheets there other than I am sure the diesel provides it at much lower rpm peak than the gasser 8 will.

They are both niche vehicles seems to me and I am not sure the market can truly support both. They put the hemi powertrain into the grand Cherokee and tweaked it (lowered, bigger brakes) to make it the SRT then the track hawk.... meant for the track.... They don’t seem to be moving many of those....

I just can’t see how they will support both of these powertrains. As some have eluded the V8 is about speed, to me speed and the wrangler don’t go together. Give me the torque.... That’s what I got, the torquey diesel. The Hemi will be heavier in the nose. While the diesel is “heavier” how much seems to be a bit variable but it also seems to be spread out and balance front to back per some of the other threads (see Metalcloak lift discussions). Don’t think I would have gone HEMI even if available now....

FWTW

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
rumor is that the diesel builds are on hold due to something found during a final inspection on one of the jeeps.... might be due to the diesel investigation in Germany/Italy no one really knows. My build has been in D1 status for going on 45 days now.
Maybe it's something with the timing cover. Apparently this was an issue on the Gen 2 engine, and my Gen 3 just developed an oil leak in that area a couple days ago at 5,400 miles. Only reason I noticed is that I saw oil on my garage floor. It's headed to the dealership right now.

There have been others with oil leaks and a couple of guys on the 5th Gen Ram 1500 group that have even had complete engine failures before they got to the first oil change. Hopefully FCA will get a grip on this soon. Paying $5000 upcharge for a particular engine and then having it spit oil out is frustrating.
Sponsored