diesel 3.0 or wait for V8 392

Drooler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon
If they come out with a 392 Wrangler, I will get one. I'm still watching you guys, with your diesel Test Mules, to see what bugs pop up. Might get a diesel Wrangler in a few years, if it proves to be reliable, long term.

Was at the dealership yesterday testing out the 2021 Rubicon with 3.0 ecodiesel.

Had already spec-ed out exactly what I wanted and was ready to a sign on the dotted line assuming (a) good price and (b) decent trade in value.

My 2015 JKU Rubicon has definitely been on the trials some and it shows, but their trade in offer was $12K off/below KBB. Wow.

With the announcement today, I guess it turned out to be good news I didn’t close the deal yesterday.

For me, it isn’t about fuel economy or range. I would like diesel. My concerns were/are the first 2 diesel iterations had issues + all these new EPA mandated modifications.

If I didn’t have a v8 option, I would have pulled the trigger and bought an extended bumper to bumper warranty for the diesel.

With the Hemi, I can only hope it comes with Dana 60s, 3” to 4” lift, 37s, etc.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Wonder if I can get 5% below invoice? :)

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
They aren't stupid. They know the Bronco is coming with the 2.7L turbo engine and they know that you can do over 500 horsepower to the wheels with bolt-ons and a tune on that engine. They have to have something to fight it with. 392 Hemi won't best it in power but it'll be a close performer and it'll sound better.

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Was at the dealership yesterday testing out the 2021 Rubicon with 3.0 ecodiesel.

Had already spec-ed out exactly what I wanted and was ready to a sign on the dotted line assuming (a) good price and (b) decent trade in value.

My 2015 JKU Rubicon has definitely been on the trials some and it shows, but their trade in offer was $12K off/below KBB. Wow.

With the announcement today, I guess it turned out to be good news I didn’t close the deal yesterday.

For me, it isn’t about fuel economy or range. I would like diesel. My concerns were/are the first 2 diesel iterations had issues + all these new EPA mandated modifications.

If I didn’t have a v8 option, I would have pulled the trigger and bought an extended bumper to bumper warranty for the diesel.

With the Hemi, I can only hope it comes with Dana 60s, 3” to 4” lift, 37s, etc.
Fantasy.

OP
OP
DwnSth

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Well, the announcement is too late for me. Have had the JLURD for about 6 weeks now. So far I'm very happy with the diesel. Would have been very tempted if I felt the wait would have been worth it so even now not sure I would wait. I wonder if the 8K option package price that is floating around includes the automatic like the 6K diesel option did. If so, they'll sell huge numbers. I would have found another 2k for the 392 if the timing would have been right :)

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
While I understand that some people will drool over a Hemi powered Jeep, this is NOT what I would look for.

I know I'm not alone in this thinking too, but I have absolutely NO INTEREST in the hemi engine offering. The diesel engine is EXACTLY what I was looking/waiting for. It gives me all the low-end torque for superior off-road rock-crawling, and the fuel efficiency I need for traveling throughout the expansive western US (my playground).

If I wanted this kind of powerplant in an off-road vehicle, I would have been looking at something like a Ford Raptor, which isn't a rock-crawler, nor is it terribly fuel efficient.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I admit I'm kinda glad they chose to offer the V8 in a single specific package (vs an upgrade to any/all packages). Else I would have been tempted to take a look :blush:

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
I was waiting to hear the details, while the 392 is insanely cool, I'm still going to be placing an order for the diesel.

Sponsored

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
I love my diesel, however I wished I could have purchased it with the Selec-Trac.

Now the 392 and Selec-Trac ,, thats got me thinking.