Sponsored

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Like the title says: Towed an absolutely packed (looked like Tetris in there) U-Haul 6x12 trailer roughly 400 miles through the foothills of TN and achieved 19.6 MPG. Effortless.

We lost a trailer tire during the trip despite keeping it under 60mph, so there’s a very good chance it was overweight. How much I have no idea - just boxed household goods and the 3 other trailer tires were barely warm. The shredded tire was smoking. Jeep tires were 40 psi at speed so who knows. U-Haul had us back on the road in an hour.

All in all the performance was pretty damn good.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Like the title says: Towed an absolutely packed (looked like Tetris in there) U-Haul 6x12 trailer roughly 400 miles through the foothills of TN and achieved 19.6 MPG. Effortless.

We lost a trailer tire during the trip despite keeping it under 60mph, so there’s a very good chance it was overweight. How much I have no idea - just boxed household goods and the 3 other trailer tires were barely warm. The shredded tire was smoking. Jeep tires were 40 psi at speed so who knows. U-Haul had us back on the road in an hour.

Thanks for posting this. Always like hearing how these do in the real world. Helps my customers out to have stories like this.

mchastings

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Sport S 2Dr / 2015 Rubicon JKU/2020 Willys JLU Diesel
Occupation
Working to pay my Taxes

That does match my MPG on my 2020 Willys while towing my Moby-1 teardrop from San Diego to Arizona and back last week. In addition, the climb from Ocotillo AKA Salton Sea Plain to top of the mountain on the Interstate 8 (notorious in the summer for overheating vehicles) was very smooth and kept its 55mph speed smoothly down shifting to 7th gear on the steeper parts. Weight of the Trailer was about 2500 lbs, guessing but had lots of extra gear and 46 gallons of water / 5 gals of Gas, portable generator etc...

ANEM0268.JPG

rocky4by

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ram cummins
That does match my MPG on my 2020 Willys while towing my Moby-1 teardrop from San Diego to Arizona and back last week. In addition, the climb from Ocotillo AKA Salton Sea Plain to top of the mountain on the Interstate 8 (notorious in the summer for overheating vehicles) was very smooth and kept its 55mph speed smoothly down shifting to 7th gear on the steeper parts. Weight of the Trailer was about 2500 lbs, guessing but had lots of extra gear and 46 gallons of water / 5 gals of Gas, portable generator etc...

Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel: 19.6MPG Towing 6x12 Trailer 400 Miles ANEM0268.JPG
What was your mpg?

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Is that 19.6 by the dash display, or a hand calculated 19.6 based upon exact miles driven divided by exact gallons consumed?

I only ask because when I went EcoDiesel I noticed that the dash display is horribly optimistic and I never saw that on the gas models. They were spot on.

Sponsored

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
Interesting figures... I had a big trip in the first month of owning her... towing a 1200KG off-road trailer on mostly road and some off-road at the end of the trip.

Europe/Asia/Australia have a 2.2L TD available, which I’m very happy with. 2020 JLUR. Plenty of grunt, idles over most trails, tows 1200 kg trailer averaging 12.5L/100km on 4200km trip (roughly 15 mpg on 2200 miles with trailer and roof storage pod).

Now I just need to get rid of the towing squat! Airbags? Lift? We'll see.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel: 19.6MPG Towing 6x12 Trailer 400 Miles tempImage8vIXm3
Jeep Wrangler JL Diesel: 19.6MPG Towing 6x12 Trailer 400 Miles tempImageCNYWf9

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Is that 19.6 by the dash display, or a hand calculated 19.6 based upon exact miles driven divided by exact gallons consumed?

I only ask because when I went EcoDiesel I noticed that the dash display is horribly optimistic and I never saw that on the gas models. They were spot on.
I have 3.6 6speed and the display is also too optimistic...I count my gallons upon fill up and always put in more than the display figures. At least by 1 to 3 mpg too much. Quite un- precise if compared to other makes of similar cars.
Sponsored