First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 BMW M5, 2023 Tesla M3
Occupation
Software Engineer
About to put my plates on and I see my dmv registration says commercial vehicle. Is this because of the bed?
Sponsored

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
About to put my plates on and I see my dmv registration says commercial vehicle. Is this because of the bed?
Might depend on your state in MA they are registered as a passenger vehicle. Unless you register it as commercial thru the DMV.

OP
OP
SF_E60

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
No this is all kind of wrong. I'd tell them to check into that
I'll have to contact my dealer on Monday morning and find out more information. Unless it was a mistake.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SF_E60

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yes, it's a California thing. All my pickups have been registered commercial. Just means they get an extra fee from you, there are no extra requirements.

Obligatory California bashing to start in 3...2..1...
And why am I not surprised. :mad:

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
In NY all pickups used to require Commercial plates due to the fact that they were for commercial purposes (i.e. a utility vehicle used by a business). This was changed when pickups started being used as personal vehicles.

You still do need to register vehicles over a certain weight as Commercial (ex Ford Super Duty) which prohibits them from driving on State Parkways. These are highways that are not made to accommodate larger vehicles.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
In Iowa pickup trucks used to be charged a registration fee of $35 annually if under xx years old and $25 annually after that. Then the state realized the young women were buying them as daily drivers, grocery getters and so on due to the cheaper license fees and insurance and now they pay the same annual license fees as SUVs, cars or anything else. It was originally to give farmers a break on work vehicles and it got abused.
And yes, I am not exaggerating, it was mostly young females buying pickup trucks around here. It was sort of interesting really - walk out of the store and chances are that truck sitting out there was about to be unlocked and driven away by a young woman. When I was a kid it was almost always a farmer.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
In Iowa pickup trucks used to be charged a registration fee of $35 annually if under xx years old and $25 annually after that. Then the state realized the young women were buying them as daily drivers, grocery getters and so on due to the cheaper license fees and insurance and now they pay the same annual license fees as SUVs, cars or anything else. It was originally to give farmers a break on work vehicles and it got abused.
And yes, I am not exaggerating, it was mostly young females buying pickup trucks around here. It was sort of interesting really - walk out of the store and chances are that truck sitting out there was about to be unlocked and driven away by a young woman. When I was a kid it was almost always a farmer.
And who where the young women abusing the farmers or the government? Im confused.

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
If your plate has one letter and all the rest numbers it is commercial in california. If it is 3 letters and the rest numbers it is a regular plate. All trucks are registered like this in california.
Is there a cost difference between the commercial and noncommercial plates, I assume there is more tax $ involved by this scheme.

Gray_Bison

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LBZ Duramax, Q5 Quattro 2.0T
Occupation
Maintenance Lead
you can register it as a passenger vehicle, but if you get pulled over hauling anything in the bed you’ll get a fine.
Sponsored