Sponsored

Did you get the dealer to toss in any extras for free?

Did you negotiate for free accessories?

• Total voters

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I asked for nothing and got nothing beyond the deal, which was 5% below invoice at Koons for a factory order.

I wouldn't want the dealer to say, "hey, could you pay a little more than we bargained for (for example) the larger screen," so I didn't say it to him in reverse.

I'm not blind to the fact that the dealer probably had money to spare in his profit, just as I could have afforded to pay more. I was content knowing that after FCA volume incentives, the dealer clears a couple of $100 in profit from the sale. He has a right to profit. Running a dealership is expensive (as sure as Jim Koons makes lots of money.)

I'm content knowing that the sale went flawlessly. I seek win-win transactions in this world. I'm not blind to the fact that each entity in a deal has a right to do what's best by them within the scope of law and my philosophy may not work for you.

I dislike any aspect of a transaction that seeks to complicate its true terms. Throwing in goodies, failing to negotiate a trade-in independently of a new car sale...not for me. They are classic sales tactics to make a customer feel like they got a good deal and are as transparent as the invariable infomercial product that magically drops the last payment and still makes a profit.

See past them. See everything in net present value--what it costs in today's money, especially lease or loan terms versus the joy it brings you.

So guess I should have asked for money back when I said I didn't want that license plate holder and tire cover!
Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I may have still paid for those in the end in some way, shape or form but having that nice $0 listed to the dealer's handwriting made it feel like I got a leg up.

Side note, I'm still waiting for my headliner to arrive and have them install it but was told possibly August now :(
That's a good deal. Yeah, I get some people not wanting to negotiate extras...but there are just dealers who want to toss something in at the end because they are not going to negotiate price past a point. Mine didn't do that with the JLUR, but my last BMW they did for whatever reason. Gave me a $200 merchandise while I doubt they would have taken that from the price...I asked.

All dealers play the game a little different.

WastedPenguin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (JL); 2017 Chevrolet Traverse LT
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't get any accessories for free, but I did get 2 jeep ball caps!

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Define "free" :)

We got a fair trade on our 176,000 mile Liberty, mudflaps (removed after purchase), door sill inserts, Mopar Performance Rock Rails (love these!!), 4 free oil changes, free inspections for life, and they mounted our site purchased Rubi shocks, springs, and tires for cheap.
We're very happy with the deal wwe received. :jk:

Sponsored

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Paid 5% below invoice
Freebees included
Free pcm reprogram for bigger tires and adjusting shift points
Cost on parts for 6 months
2yr free oil changes
One extra year warranty
Can I ask which dealership?

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I did not get any extras. My Ruby had exactly what I wanted on it and I Negotiated for $5000 below MSRP and I was satisfied!

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Prestige in longmont colorado.

BADBREW

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon JLUR
My So-called “freebie”...Windows tinted on the JLUR and a ball cap. I expect the next “dude/dudette” paid for my window tint and hat. I probably paid for the previous buyers “free” stuff for their vehicle. Circle of life. Dealers are definitely getting their money.:piggybank:

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Got 22% off MSRP.