Did you get Extended Warranty?

thepred

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Unlimited 2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Wonder everyone’s opinion on the extended warranty. I didn’t get in my 2011 Wrangler, thank got. Not many problems with it. Never would have come close to getting my money back. Only reason I am considering Ian because if the new model, maybe some questions. Who got extended?
Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
OP
OP

thepred

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Unlimited 2018 Wrangler Unlimited
I was never offered lifetime. Maybe not available in Canada.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I was never offered lifetime. Maybe not available in Canada.
I wasn't offered lifetime either. I had to ask for it. You can contact Jeep Chat or the Jeep phone number at Jeep.com to see if it is available. I think you can still buy it for up to a few months past the purchase date. If you wait too long, they will still offer it, but you have to pay an extra fee above the cost of the lifetime warranty.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
We got a 5yr 100,000 Mi on ours with money back guarantee if we don't use it. Only caveat is that if we hit 100,000 before 5 years we must wait the 5 years to get our cash back

I don't normally like extended guarantees but our 2013 JK had a heater core go after it expired and that's a $1500 job alone. Some JK's apparently got bad heater cores. The sand in the casting got into the cast and would leach into the coolant. So this time around it felt like a no brainer

Sponsored

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I bought the 6 year/60000 mile bumper to bumper Warranty....it includes key fob replacement (3 fobs over period) and 2 year tire coverage/roadside etc.

This Jeep is capable enough that I do not see doing any huge mods to it that would affect warranty and I figure that we will replace it when they do a refresh 5 year into its run.

After my miserable experience with our 2015 Ford F150....I will always buy the extended warranty (otherwise, I would be screwed).

Doc

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
I bought the 6 year/60000 mile bumper to bumper Warranty....it includes key fob replacement (3 fobs over period) and 2 year tire coverage/roadside etc.

This Jeep is capable enough that I do not see doing any huge mods to it that would affect warranty and I figure that we will replace it when they do a refresh 5 year into its run.

After my miserable experience with our 2015 Ford F150....I will always buy the extended warranty (otherwise, I would be screwed).

Doc
I've been contemplating this for a while. I usually drive my cars into the ground. The wife's longest ownership has been maybe 5 years. This toy will be both ours. On fca site, you can get a quote for lifetime. It seems you can get it up to 1 year after purchase, based on the options to select. I tested it with 0 miles and 9000 miles. The quoted price was the same. what I can't test is time. Given this is a first year run of a new model, and there certainly is a contingent of issues I'm leaning to yes, but buying a warrantee goes against my fiber.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I've been contemplating this for a while. I usually drive my cars into the ground. The wife's longest ownership has been maybe 5 years. This toy will be both ours. On fca site, you can get a quote for lifetime. It seems you can get it up to 1 year after purchase, based on the options to select. I tested it with 0 miles and 9000 miles. The quoted price was the same. what I can't test is time. Given this is a first year run of a new model, and there certainly is a contingent of issues I'm leaning to yes, but buying a warrantee goes against my fiber.
If it was my 1998 Jeep TJ or even my 2014 Rubicon (no added options other than side airbags) I would probably agree....it is all of this tech stuff getting added that scares me. I have heard horror stories about start/stop in other brands and the whole increase in electronics is unsettling in a vehicle that will eventually go for a few swims here and there.

My 2015 Ford F150 is a good lesson....I have had 6 repairs of the same issue in the 4WD system in the past 1 year. I have tried all modes of negotiation with Ford....Ford will not buy the vehicle back "because the issue started after 24,000 miles"....mine was at 29000 miles. Basically, they told me to go screw myself because they were "going to honor their warranty" and I should expect nothing more. Keep in mind....there are 4 trucks in the shop at my dealer with the same exact problem. The techs tell me that ford is not coming up with a fix only patches. My attorney tells me that I have no repercussions other than to get rid of the truck.

Screw that....I'm keeping this POS until my extended warranty runs out at 8 years/150,000 miles. And I'm taking it in for every (I mean "every") warranty issue that pops up! I won't be happy until I have reached $55K of warranty work out of Ford.

I see 2 lessons learned here

1) buy the extended warranty

2) Don't buy certain brands of vehicles.

Just my .02

Doc

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I drive 35k miles a year. I just hit 10,000 miles on my JLUR. I jumped on the lifetime warranty with $100 deductible. I will be driving this Jeep till the wheels fall off. Just made sense for me.

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Whenever this subject comes up, I'm reminded of an old Ferengi proverb: A fool and his money are soon parted.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
My $.02

Usually ext warranties I feel are a waste and that I mean for all goods. Everyone offers them, just buy something from Best Buy.

Having said that I have bought a couple on a few of our cars, two to be exact. One it was invaluable, Ford F-250. It paid for itself with one out of warranty visit. Another was on a car that I didn’t even keep it past the warranty. Only good deal was it was at least transferable.

On the Jeep being that it is a first version “I may” get it. I will wait a year or so and see how it goes. If I do I will buy the $200 deductible lifetime that the dealer on the East Coast is selling, Maxcare.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The question for me with an extended warranty is will you sleep better.
The odds always favor the insurer over time, otherwise they'd go out of business. But will you (and your spouse!) be able to fork over $10,000 or more for repairs if the worst happens. Is worrying about that going to cause you to lose sleep? It's like any other kind of insurance - collision, comprehensive, etc.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
We got a 5yr 100,000 Mi on ours with money back guarantee if we don't use it. Only caveat is that if we hit 100,000 before 5 years we must wait the 5 years to get our cash back

I don't normally like extended guarantees but our 2013 JK had a heater core go after it expired and that's a $1500 job alone. Some JK's apparently got bad heater cores. The sand in the casting got into the cast and would leach into the coolant. So this time around it felt like a no brainer
You bought a warranty and used it because a Jeep failure was identified as part of regular production, but took a while to develop. Not what I call reasonable, but more like screwed..

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
You bought a warranty and used it because a Jeep failure was identified as part of regular production, but took a while to develop. Not what I call reasonable, but more like screwed..
No, I didn't have an extended warranty on that vehicle (The 2013). But when I had the guarantee with the JL that if I don't use it I get my cash back, it made a lot of sense.

BTW, do a search on it and you'll see the problem listed but Jeep claimed they had never heard of it before. At that point we had 70,000 on the JK. and not much recourse in the way of warranty repair
Sponsored