OP
OP
Turaven

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
Drive that bitch all night and get it broke in. We want to see that tach buried in the red.
I've got it broken in now but I still want to flush out the factory oil at like 800-1000 miles.. so stay tuned kids!
Sponsored

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
My 18 JLUR, 21 JL Sport S & 22 JLR have the V6 Auto and tac that starts reading red at 6500 rpm.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a manual so i hit the limiter a lot with 5.13 gears. Seems to be 6k with the manual.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
My 2018 Sport S 3.6 Auto has a 6500 rpm tach redline.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR XR
Just took delivery of my 2023 Rubicon XR with 3.6 and eTorque…. Can confirm that I also have 6k redline start range.

Reactions: AFD
OP
OP
Turaven

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Random theory here. It seems to be every 2023 has it, so not a one off error. Jeep has been pushing the 2.0L and the 4XE pretty hard. Maybe if jeep is planning a 2024 model refresh they aren't making any more "high redline" tachs to simplify production and prepare for potentially dropping the V6 engines. They're dumping the diesel so they might be prepping for an engine lineup overhaul.

Dropping the manual and V6 since they're not popular and the 3.6L occupies the same niche as the 2.0L. Expanding 4XE lineup and capability. Throwing in the hurricane motor to replace the diesel as the high torque option and adding the HO hurricane to replace the 392. Complete speculation, but it's all coming sooner than later.

Reactions: AFD

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Picked up my '23 v6 w/eTorque that was just built within the past week, and redline on the tach is also 6-7 (instead of 6.5-7).

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm gonna argue cost cutting. I bet the redline is probably still 6500 for the 3.6, they're just using a single cluster across the board now. They've also canned the separate ambient lighting dial for '23; now the cluster dimmer dial controls it all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Turaven

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm gonna argue cost cutting. I bet the redline is probably still 6500 for the 3.6, they're just using a single cluster across the board now. They've also canned the separate ambient lighting dial for '23; now the cluster dimmer dial controls it all.
I was wondering about that dial. In trying to search for a way to permanently disable the dome light without making my cluster unreadable I saw several mentions of "two dials" on the dash. I presumed base Sports just didn't have the second one and it was for some other feature.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I was wondering about that dial. In trying to search for a way to permanently disable the dome light without making my cluster unreadable I saw several mentions of "two dials" on the dash. I presumed base Sports just didn't have the second one and it was for some other feature.
I just don't 'get' the new dial. Below the uppermost stop is max brightness without dome, which is perfect in the daytime but much too bright at nighttime, next notch below that is the dimming sweep which is perfect for night when near the top (and far too dim during the day).

Am I completely missing something, or am I supposed to be adjusting this stupid wheel twice every day? Does it auto-dim with the headlights set to 'auto' instead?

And contrary to the shitty description on page #53 of the manual, the dimmer dial doesn't seem to adjust the level of the ambient footwell lighting. Seems like it's either on with the dome light when in the uppermost position or off completely at any setting below that.

I honestly can't remember driving any other vehicle with a big-ass screen on the dash that didn't have a f'ing auto-dimming sensor.

OP
OP
Turaven

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just don't 'get' the new dial. Below the uppermost stop is max brightness without dome, which is perfect in the daytime but much too bright at nighttime, next notch below that is the dimming sweep which is perfect for night when near the top (and far too dim during the day).

Am I completely missing something, or am I supposed to be adjusting this stupid wheel twice every day? Does it auto-dim with the headlights set to 'auto' instead?

And contrary to the shitty description on page #53 of the manual, the dimmer dial doesn't seem to adjust the level of the ambient footwell lighting. Seems like it's either on with the dome light when in the uppermost position or off completely at any setting below that.

I honestly can't remember driving any other vehicle with a big-ass screen on the dash that didn't have a f'ing auto-dimming sensor.
I don't think you're understanding the switch. The max brightness without dome setting is intended for driving with your headlights on during the daytime. It will NOT dim the cluster as that whole point of the setting. Click down from that and you get standard cluster behavior. Bright with headlights off and dim with headlights on. Rolling all the way down is minimum brightness and no dome light when the door is opened.

You're not intended to be twirling it every day. I do because I hate dome lights so I'm always rolling it off. If you think max brightness without clicking the wheel up isn't sufficient for the day then that's a you problem I think. Seems perfectly fine to me and not noticeably dimmer than any other car I've ever driven. Caveat being that I don't have automatic headlights so I don't know if that affects anything. As for the footwell illumination, I don't have that either so I can't speak to that. Doesn't seem to effect the one little light I have in my cupholder.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I don't think you're understanding the switch. The max brightness without dome setting is intended for driving with your headlights on during the daytime. It will NOT dim the cluster as that whole point of the setting. Click down from that and you get standard cluster behavior. Bright with headlights off and dim with headlights on. Rolling all the way down is minimum brightness and no dome light when the door is opened.

You're not intended to be twirling it every day. I do because I hate dome lights so I'm always rolling it off. If you think max brightness without clicking the wheel up isn't sufficient for the day then that's a you problem I think. Seems perfectly fine to me and not noticeably dimmer than any other car I've ever driven. Caveat being that I don't have automatic headlights so I don't know if that affects anything. As for the footwell illumination, I don't have that either so I can't speak to that. Doesn't seem to effect the one little light I have in my cupholder.
Guess I'll have to give it a try at the highest sweep setting during the day (right below the upper-middle notch). Didn't realize the middle spot was always max brightness, but thought it would've been the only logical spot for an auto-dimming setting to work with the auto-headlight sensor (not the ASG auto-highbeam feature).

And after reading a bit more online, the 'me problem' is that at any of the sweep settings, the lights dim with the headlights on (and I believe even with the parking lights on). Problem is, I always drive with at least the parking lights on and that further dims the dash too much during the daytime, which requires moving up to the max brightness setting. So yes, unless I'm missing something, I'll be needing to constantly fuck with the stupid dial twice a day, which was never an issue with every other vehicle I've driven with park or headlights on during the day. I'm okay with just the JL's DRL, but still want my taillights lit for better visibility (for oblivious drivers that aren't paying 100% attention to the road).

So just like the dome light issue seems to be a 'you problem', guess we're both stuck unnecessarily fiddling with that dial since it isn't designed to work the way either of us want 😆

OP
OP
Turaven

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess I'll have to give it a try at the highest sweep setting during the day (right below the upper-middle notch). Didn't realize the middle spot was always max brightness, but thought it would've been the only logical spot for an auto-dimming setting to work with the auto-headlight sensor (not the ASG auto-highbeam feature).

And after reading a bit more online, the 'me problem' is that at any of the sweep settings, the lights dim with the headlights on (and I believe even with the parking lights on). Problem is, I always drive with at least the parking lights on and that further dims the dash too much during the daytime, which requires moving up to the max brightness setting. So yes, unless I'm missing something, I'll be needing to constantly fuck with the stupid dial twice a day, which was never an issue with every other vehicle I've driven with park or headlights on during the day. I'm okay with just the JL's DRL, but still want my taillights lit for better visibility (for oblivious drivers that aren't paying 100% attention to the road).

So just like the dome light issue seems to be a 'you problem', guess we're both stuck unnecessarily fiddling with that dial since it isn't designed to work the way either of us want 😆
Yeah, for your intended use you'll need to be fiddling with the dial. The intended use is for DRL's during the day. I don't even have DRLs.. so meh. I use the "max brightness" setting only when driving at dawn or dusk where headlights should be used.

I'd argue putting your headlights on during broad daylight is more of a hazard than a benefit. It becomes much more difficult to notice an illuminated tail light becoming slightly brighter when you hit the brakes than a 100% on 0% on transition. It doesn't make your vehicle any more noticeable unless you're in a heavily shaded area.
Sponsored