Sponsored

Did they change the manual clutch at all in 2023?

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Did they ever fix the clutch discs blowing up with a mechanical solution rather than degrading the motor programmatically? or whatever their software solution for a mechanical problem was? I really wanted to get a MT but after reading about the recalls and then their "fix" I decided to pass for the time being.
I think they’ve programmed the motor to cut throttle if an over-temp situation occurs. That would be if you don’t know how to drive one and keep burning it up… I’ve never experienced any loss of power.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Jeep sent me a LONG survey recently in which I told them, if I had to change ONE thing on the ordering process, it would be increasing the gearing options for other trims.
I received a LONG survey last month as well. I would assume it was the same one.

I basically said I love the manual and wouldn't have purchased a Jeep without one.

However, the gear ratios are insufficient with anything taller than 4.10s on any trim. The 4.88 option was awesome though I bought my JL prior to availability :( . Also reverse gear was sub-ideal needed to be addressed and, of course, Jeep needs to engineer a non-exploding clutch.

But the manual... love it nonetheless and I wouldn't drive anything else.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
I received a LONG survey last month as well. I would assume it was the same one.

I basically said I love the manual and wouldn't have purchased a Jeep without one.

However, the gear ratios are insufficient with anything taller than 4.10s on any trim. The 4.88 option was awesome though I bought my JL prior to availability :( . Also reverse gear was sub-ideal needed to be addressed and, of course, Jeep needs to engineer a non-exploding clutch.

But the manual... love it nonetheless and I wouldn't drive anything else.
Yep, that's about it!

I think the 4.88 option is great, if 35-37" tires are in the plan right away. I think 4.10 is the lower limit for us, it's a combo of fuel mileage and being able to use it offroad. We have no intention of going to larger tires. If we had even thought we might go to 35's or we were going to bias our driving to a larger percentage of offroad, I'd have done 4.56 when we regeared. Reverse is much improved with 4.10, as is 1st gear. 1st gear can pretty much roll away from a stop with no throttle application now, and is usable offroad in high range when we're out in old mining country poking around. Before, there was WAY too much clutch slippage on a semi-steep hill.

So far, we're liking the clutch. I'm concerned with durability, I know it was updated going into the 2022 model year, but it's roughly the same design. I don't like dual mass setups historically (from working on them on other vehicles). They don't have the durability of a simple flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate setup. I'm not a fan of the way Jeep did the flywheel with the little posts that attach the pressure plate. There's a good chance we swap to an aftermarket some time after the warranty period if we feel any change in operation at all.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I think they’ve programmed the motor to cut throttle if an over-temp situation occurs. That would be if you don’t know how to drive one and keep burning it up… I’ve never experienced any loss of power.
Gotcha, for some reason I was thinking the recall was for a mechanical problem they were trying to band aid with a software update. Didn't realize it was a "design" issue and people not knowing how to drive a manual that was causing them to detonate.

Sponsored

drpericak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Earl JLU Rubicon
Occupation
dentist
I went from a '19 to a '23 Rubicon and I feel that they're exactly the same clutches.

TroyMclure

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn
Gotcha, for some reason I was thinking the recall was for a mechanical problem they were trying to band aid with a software update. Didn't realize it was a "design" issue and people not knowing how to drive a manual that was causing them to detonate.
The recalls (both of them) are for a mechanical problem they are trying to band-aid.

There are many threads on this site about the problem. It has nothing to do with people not knowing how to drive a manual. Even if lack of skill with a manual transmission was a problem, the worst that should happen is the clutch friction material goes to toast, you see a lot of smoke, and can't shift anymore. The pressure plate shouldn't fracture and grenade through the transmission housing.

Search on some of the threads about this. Many of them are from competent manual drivers, who were cruising on the highway, foot not on the clutch, when the pressure plate exploded. There is a design flaw in the JL clutch - 2 recalls from Jeep should make this obvious. But they won't admit there is a problem, let alone tell people what it is.

Here is the last thread I saw about a victim of the JL clutch:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...er-recall-burns-2018-jlu-to-the-ground.98834/

There are several others.

Facebook group the for the JL clutch grenade:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/749567486306702/?mibextid=zGKedc

Last edited:

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The recalls (both of them) are for a mechanical problem they are trying to band-aid.

There are many threads on this site about the problem. It has nothing to do with people not knowing how to drive a manual. Even if lack of skill with a manual transmission was a problem, the worst that should happen is the clutch friction material goes to toast, you see a lot of smoke, and can't shift anymore. The pressure plate shouldn't fracture and grenade through the transmission housing.

Search on some of the threads about this. Many of them are from competent manual drivers, who were cruising on the highway, foot not on the clutch, when the pressure plate exploded. There is a design flaw in the JL clutch - 2 recalls from Jeep should make this obvious. But they won't admit there is a problem, let alone tell people what it is.

Here is the last thread I saw about a victim of the JL clutch:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...er-recall-burns-2018-jlu-to-the-ground.98834/

There are several others.

Facebook group the for the JL clutch grenade:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/749567486306702/?mibextid=zGKedc
Hah! Okay so I was remembering correctly then!
Sponsored