Sponsored

Did the Wranger Unlimited lose it’s cool with the JL?

JayV

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 Ford Expedition EL 4x4
Poseur! Everything after CJ-5 is wannabe crap. And I say this proudly as someone that's never owned any Jeep (though I did really lust after those CJ's). :devil:
CJ? Child please. If you're not driving something with flat fenders from the 1940's, you're not a real jeep guy.
Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
CJ? Child please. If you're not driving something with flat fenders from the 1940's, you're not a real jeep guy.
Yeah but they top out at like 35-40mph... it’s going to take me a really long time to get my kids to soccer practice.... hahaha.

JayV

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 Ford Expedition EL 4x4
Yeah but they top out at like 35-40mph... it’s going to take me a really long time to get my kids to soccer practice.... hahaha.
You drive your jeep on roads? F*cking amateur hour around here.

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
Am I understanding the point?

"Badass...Grocery Getter"

42505826.jpg

JL- Now with 115% More Shark-Jumping Softness!

rubicon_unlimited_softtop_004-jpg-jpg.jpg

Just so I understand the premise...

OP
OP

JKMIKE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Everyone here just answered my question. Lol

Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR

42505826.jpg

Nailed it

Jeep75th

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler 75th Anniversary

42505826.jpg

I Got to say..that JK definitely looks more aggressive then that particular JL

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Poseur! Everything after CJ-5 is wannabe crap. And I say this proudly as someone that's never owned any Jeep (though I did really lust after those CJ's). :devil:
Haha. Although in interviews one of the head Jeep guys indicated something like that about the CJ-5. Meaning it was kind of the first time that style and function merged, and they were trying to get back to some CJishness if you will, with homage in the new JL.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
My feelings aren’t hurt.... I’ve owned 8 wranglers, from the YJ to the TL, LJ, JK, and soon to be JL..... I’m just not sure why I’m ruining the cool.... it would be much easier for jeep to water down the JL but with alm of that “soccer Mom” money they instead used it to make it more capable then ever... I say as long as FCA keeps a clear vision of what the wrangler is ( and they seem
To get it) god bless all of the buyers regardless of how hardcore they are because they are funding future development and survival of the coveted wrangler.
Jeep knows it can't water down the JL, even though many buyers do not need the full off-road capability the vehicle offers. Jeep must maintain the illusion of adventure to entice those buyers. That is a key part of their marketing and brand of which the JL is the linchpin. (And actually if the JL became known as the soccer whatever vehicle, it would be a problem for Jeep.)

Other than upward price pressure via gentrification adding on all kinds of trinkets and lux items, at least the adventure illusion aspect forces Jeep to keep making very capable off-road vehicles. And that benefits those of us who actually put the vehicle capability to use having real off-road adventures. So that is kind of a win-win as you alluded.

Of course, if down the road we end up seeing the Jeep and the JL go the way of Land Rover chasing increasingly wealthy buyers, that would bite. As a CJ and Series III owner, I am sad that my beloved Land Rover went lux and even dropped the Defender. Got to give Jeep credit for keeping the JL so capable and in production, while other open top utility 4x4s have bit the dust.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
If Jeep only targeted the hardcore crowd then Jeep would be out of business...period. This is for ALL 4x4 brands. To me the Sport = great base 4x4 for those that want to customize. Sahara = Soccer Mom/weekend warrior. Rubicon = Above average explorer and great 4x4 for enthusiast.

See these threads pop up and its usually the same point of view. Jeep adds some luxury or improves the interior and some scream the Wranglers gone soft. By all means feel free to strip down a TJ and clad that some bitch for the zombie apocalypse. As for me I like a well rounded capable vehicle.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
OK, so who then is *allowed* to buy such a vehicle and not be subjected to scorn? Clearly there appears to be a group of people that can buy and drive such vehicles because they are the *right* kind of people to drive them and others that shouldn't (you know, the *wrong* kind of people). I'm willing to listen and learn.

My sister drives an SUV. The one she drives, however, rarely goes off road (she and her husband use their well-aged 4Runner to take themselves and their dogs camping instead). She had a sales job and drove a Lexus sedan to meet clients and what not until one day she hit a deer. The deer hit the front of the car, bounced up and came through the windshield while also crushing the roof. She woke up in the back of an ambulance totally covered in blood from all of the glass that had cut her face and body. She panicked and they had to sedate her as they drove her to the ER. Once she finally recovered (it took a while and she still has nightmares) she decided she never wanted to be in a "small" (lower to the ground) car again and starting buying SUV's so she could ride higher and not have to deal with her fear of this happening again (whether or not she's actually any safer is irrelevant, it makes her FEEL safer). So help me get a gameplan to explain to her why she shouldn't be driving the vehicle she is - I'd hate to think that her driving around like she does is upsetting so many people that don't like how other people choose to spend their own money. I'm sure she'd agree if I could just find the rational argument to explain it to her. I'm thinking you seem to be able to help me out here. Thanks!
God I miss the days when everyone didn't get their panties in a bunch and get offended by everything said...oh crap I probably offended someone. I don't care. There is no right to live your life and not be offended.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Look...everyones going to get bent out of shape because I didn’t post how awesome the JL is. I think it is going to be awesome and I can’t wait to check one out in person. I just feel like it might lose some of the “cool” or “unique” factor. I’m not saying anything negative about the vehicle itself.
Ehh, I'm not bent, and really don't care. In fact, I'd rather the entire neighborhood NOT buy them. I just disagree. If you think a JL doesn't look aggressive, set it next to any other vehicle, with maybe the exception of a RAM Power Wagon.

@Ybohannon, you sound awesome, and being your 4th Jeep, you are the real Jeep you are probably in the top 1% of serious Jeep people, whether you go off road, or not. Why would you even worry about the soccer mom thing? It doesn't sound like you at all. You drive a Jeep because you like them and choose to do so. You don't owe anything or any explanation to anybody. I'd bet most of the "soccer moms" out there wouldn't give a crap what Mike or me, or anybody else thinks, anyway, and they shouldn't. However, if you are a Russian female Olympic wrestler, I'm really sorry and wish I hadn't said it. ;)

I agree with Jeeptimus Prime. Anytime they've added luxury or comfort, the hardcore gets bent. Well, I like the idea of heated seats and a kick ass Alpine stereo. Heck, I even like the active noise cancellation. I like a smooth ride, good handling and good steering feel on the road. That doesn't make it any less off-road capable. It, in fact, will do far more than my YJ, or probably any previous Jeep ever did, factory stock. (I'm just glad they didn't put a cooling fan in the seats. I don't want to smell my own nether regions blowing up into my face.)

Much of the musings and ramblings on this forum come from deep thought on the :ontheloo: anyway, so that's about how much I'd read into it. Btw, I'd love to know about the 3 Jeeps you've had. I had a YJ and my current JK, and loved them both. Even the YJ, which had no air conditioning and rode like a horse drawn wagon! I wish I still had it!

Last edited:

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
Ehh, I'm not bent, and really don't care. In fact, I'd rather the entire neighborhood NOT buy them. I just disagree. If you think a JL doesn't look aggressive, set it next to any other vehicle, with maybe the exception of a RAM Power Wagon.

@Ybohannon, you sound awesome, and being your 4th Jeep, you are the real Jeep you are probably in the top 1% of serious Jeep people, whether you go off road, or not. Why would you even worry about the soccer mom thing? It doesn't sound like you at all. You drive a Jeep because you like them and choose to do so. You don't owe anything or any explanation to anybody. I'd bet most of the "soccer moms" out there wouldn't give a crap what Mike or me, or anybody else thinks, anyway, and they shouldn't. However, if you are a Russian female Olympic wrestler, I'm really sorry and wish I hadn't said it. ;)

I agree with Jeeptimus Prime. Anytime they've added luxury or comfort, the hardcore gets bent. Well, I like the idea of heated seats and a kick ass Alpine stereo. Heck, I even like the active noise cancellation. I like a smooth ride, good handling and good steering feel on the road. That doesn't make it any less off-road capable. It, in fact, will do far more than my YJ, or probably any previous Jeep ever did, factory stock. (I'm just glad they didn't put a cooling fan in the seats. I don't want to smell my own nether regions blowing up into my face.)

Much of the musings and ramblings on this forum come from deep thought on the :ontheloo: anyway, so that's about how much I'd read into it. Btw, I'd love to know about the 3 Jeeps you've had. I had a YJ and my current JK, and loved them both. Even the YJ, which had no air conditioning and rode like a horse drawn wagon! I wish I still had it!
I truly really wasn't "offended" and was just picking back because you see so much "soccer mom" crap on here. If anyone noticed, I said I was PMS'g, so I thought maybe, just maybe my comments would be taken lightly.

My first 2 were both Sports. Second one didn't last long, somebody rear-ended and pretty much destroyed it. My 2008 Sahara is my baby and only getting rid of it because of my baby. Just not enough room. I think he'll be sad to see it go. He's 5 and has literally grew up in it. Hope I'm not making a mistake going from 2-door to 4-door.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I truly really wasn't "offended" and was just picking back because you see so much "soccer mom" crap on here. If anyone noticed, I said I was PMS'g, so I thought maybe, just maybe my comments would be taken lightly.

My first 2 were both Sports. Second one didn't last long, somebody rear-ended and pretty much destroyed it. My 2008 Sahara is my baby and only getting rid of it because of my baby. Just not enough room. I think he'll be sad to see it go. He's 5 and has literally grew up in it. Hope I'm not making a mistake going from 2-door to 4-door.
You will love the 4 door. I can take 4 people and still have tons of room for camping gear, while still tacking a rugged trail. Hey, Jeeps are more fun with kids in them, anyway, so one more seat is great, and getting in and out is MUCH easier. My kids fight over who gets to go for a ride, and the girls appreciate it even more than the boys! There are some advantages and disadvantages, but when you get that top down and doors off, you'll quickly see it is as much a Jeep as any ever before. Heck, maybe more so if you fold that windshield and drive along a beach somewhere in beautiful SC! I put soft half doors in the rear and take the doors off the front, on mine. It makes me feel like the kids are secured inside a little better. My girls are all about Jeeps and Jeep hair!

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I have always wanted a very capable off road machine with all the niceties of a luxury suv. Land Rover whimped out with unibody and ifs. But jeep hits a home run! I loved my 77cj7 with no hard top soft only steel dash. Couldn’t lock it Etc the Tj was a huge leap. But like others when I saw the 4dr uh wow. I remember that moment. And now it has luxury. Because driving is driving. Off road is better than on road. But it is still driving.
Sponsored