Sponsored

Did the Wranger Unlimited lose it’s cool with the JL?

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I hate to break it to most, but the wrangler has been coveted by yuppys before anyone even classified people as yuppys... I could see some concern if jeep was compromising off-road prowless but it’s quite the opposite, they seem to have checked all of the boxes.
Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I'll go back to your original point then and ignore the women bashing.

JKs are a terrible aesthetic. They took all the character out of the vehicle. Flat hoods, square grilles. Listen to Mark Allen talk about the JL design going back to classic Jeep roots, and it's clear he means "don't make it look like a JK".

I think the JLs are gorgeous. No longer do you have to add the stupid angry grille to make the vehicle look anything other than boring.
Yes, you are so correct.... it was really refreshing to hear Marks passion for the wrangler, and I knew after hearing him there was a ton of thought put into the JL

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Ugh....of course you do. It’s 2018 and everyone is offended.

The soccer mom reference isnt directed towards women specifically. I actually find it hot seeing a woman in a Jeep. :)

It’s referring to the yuppy crowd. The mom that picks the $45,000 4 wheel drive Off road vehicle to take their kids to soccer practice because their neighbor got a new suv. :)
OK, so who then is *allowed* to buy such a vehicle and not be subjected to scorn? Clearly there appears to be a group of people that can buy and drive such vehicles because they are the *right* kind of people to drive them and others that shouldn't (you know, the *wrong* kind of people). I'm willing to listen and learn.

My sister drives an SUV. The one she drives, however, rarely goes off road (she and her husband use their well-aged 4Runner to take themselves and their dogs camping instead). She had a sales job and drove a Lexus sedan to meet clients and what not until one day she hit a deer. The deer hit the front of the car, bounced up and came through the windshield while also crushing the roof. She woke up in the back of an ambulance totally covered in blood from all of the glass that had cut her face and body. She panicked and they had to sedate her as they drove her to the ER. Once she finally recovered (it took a while and she still has nightmares) she decided she never wanted to be in a "small" (lower to the ground) car again and starting buying SUV's so she could ride higher and not have to deal with her fear of this happening again (whether or not she's actually any safer is irrelevant, it makes her FEEL safer). So help me get a gameplan to explain to her why she shouldn't be driving the vehicle she is - I'd hate to think that her driving around like she does is upsetting so many people that don't like how other people choose to spend their own money. I'm sure she'd agree if I could just find the rational argument to explain it to her. I'm thinking you seem to be able to help me out here. Thanks!

OP
OP

JKMIKE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
My comment wasn’t about the Jeeps capability or comfort or any of that...

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
No, it was all about how offended you were that the design wasn't macho enough for you.

Look, the 4 door opened a vast new audience to Wranglers. Many of them bought it as a family vehicle with no intentions of going off-road, yet some of them discovered how fun that could be. So the more popular the Wrangler is, the more people have the opportunity to be exposed to "real" Jeeping, and the more used vehicles are available later, and the more new generations of Wranglers the company can afford to design and cope with the challenges of regulatory requirements while keeping it capable.

So get over yourself. Yours is not the last cool Jeep. People buying Wranglers for many reasons is good for all fans.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JKMIKE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Omg...I can’t believe how easily offended people are. Lol!!! You guys need to toughen up!

I never said women can’t drive suv’s Karl. Lol

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Omg...I can’t believe how easily offended people are. Lol!!! You guys need to toughen up!

I never said women can’t drive suv’s Karl. Lol
Who said I was offended? I certainly didn't. I asked you real questions hoping for real answers. Shaking off a question with "LOL" isn't really an answer.

JayV

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 Ford Expedition EL 4x4
Hey guys...I don't mean to bash the JLU or a large number of the people who are going to buy them, but I'll just pose this question--is the JLU totally uncool now because of the people who are going to buy them? The JK is the last real jeep, right? Cool. Let's discuss.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
No, it was all about how offended you were that the design wasn't macho enough for you.

Look, the 4 door opened a vast new audience to Wranglers. Many of them bought it as a family vehicle with no intentions of going off-road, yet some of them discovered how fun that could be. So the more popular the Wrangler is, the more people have the opportunity to be exposed to "real" Jeeping, and the more used vehicles are available later, and the more new generations of Wranglers the company can afford to design and cope with the challenges of regulatory requirements while keeping it capable.

So get over yourself. Yours is not the last cool Jeep. People buying Wranglers for many reasons is good for all fans.
The 4 door also allowed long time wrangler owners like me to continue to buy wranglers as my family grew, I’ve had many a 2 door and I still love them but without the 4 door I wouldn’t be a current customer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JKMIKE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
It wasn’t about women guys!!! I misspoke using the term soccer mom. I should have said soccer dad.

Cars all have certain audiences and I thought I was opening up a conversation about that but people got their feelings hurt

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
It wasn’t about women guys!!! I misspoke using the term soccer mom. I should have said soccer dad.

Cars all have certain audiences and I thought I was opening up a conversation about that but people got their feelings hurt
My feelings aren’t hurt.... I’ve owned 8 wranglers, from the YJ to the TL, LJ, JK, and soon to be JL..... I’m just not sure why I’m ruining the cool.... it would be much easier for jeep to water down the JL but with alm of that “soccer Mom” money they instead used it to make it more capable then ever... I say as long as FCA keeps a clear vision of what the wrangler is ( and they seem
To get it) god bless all of the buyers regardless of how hardcore they are because they are funding future development and survival of the coveted wrangler.

OP
OP

JKMIKE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
One last thing. Karl...I read your post and I hope your sister is okay. I agree about the safety of an suv...I think everyone missed where I was going with the conversation.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys...I don't mean to bash the JLU or a large number of the people who are going to buy them, but I'll just pose this question--is the JLU totally uncool now because of the people who are going to buy them? The JK is the last real jeep, right? Cool. Let's discuss.
Poseur! Everything after CJ-5 is wannabe crap. And I say this proudly as someone that's never owned any Jeep (though I did really lust after those CJ's). :devil:
Sponsored