Sponsored

Did the Wranger Unlimited lose it’s cool with the JL?

JKMIKE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
A lot of the die hards thought they jumped the shark going to the four door. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. It was a bad ass looking 4 wheel drive vehicle for the winter that I could take the top and doors off in the summer and it was big enough to actually put stuff. Even though that was the start of the grocery getter, it didn’t seem like it. It still looked and felt rugged enough.

I feel like the improvements they made were all to make it more geared towards the soccer moms. It may be just as capable off road but I feel like the tweaks they did made it look softer and more like a typical suv. I would have liked a beefier look to it like they did when they came out with the JK.

I don’t blame them...it’s where the money is and it will probably sell better then the JK...but I would put money on it that you will see mostly moms driving this around. I don’t think it will stand out like Wranglers once did.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If you think 33" tires, high flares, suspension improvements, lower crawl ratio, better approach, departure, and breakover angles, and better drive trane are all soccer mom improvements, well....then the soccer mom must be like a Russian female wrestler, with hair on her back.

I didn't even mention a more aggressive looking front end and a folding windshield. This thing is more Jeep than a JK, and I dearly LOVE my JK.

OP
OP

JKMIKE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
And this thread wasn’t meant to bash the Wrangler...it’s just something I keep thinking when I see it.

OP
OP

JKMIKE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lol...I hear ya Dan. Just take notice when they come out to see who is driving them. I bet you see a lot of moms with stick figures in the windows and the doors will never come off. :)

Look, I didn’t mean to bash. I am still probably going to get one.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Lol...I hear ya Dan. Just take notice when they come out to see who is driving them. I bet you see a lot of moms with stick figures in the windows and the doors will never come off. :)

Yeah, true. My wife will be one of them, but she'll be driving my JK. She drives a manual very well, too, and can throw it around in the dirt, so impressions on the road can be misleading. :)

Sponsored

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
I'm probably PMS'g, severely, but over the whole "soccer mom" reference. I have driven a Wrangler since I was 21 years old, and when I order my new JL, it will be my fourth. I thoroughly enjoy my 2-door Sahara but need more room. Do I do serious off-roading, or any for that matter? No, not really, unless you count some gravel roads. But my point is I have no point other than I resent the derogatory connotation of soccer mom.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

How is that any different than the jk?

OP
OP

JKMIKE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Ugh....of course you do. It’s 2018 and everyone is offended.

The soccer mom reference isnt directed towards women specifically. I actually find it hot seeing a woman in a Jeep. :)

It’s referring to the yuppy crowd. The mom that picks the $45,000 4 wheel drive Off road vehicle to take their kids to soccer practice because their neighbor got a new suv. :)

OP
OP

JKMIKE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Look...everyones going to get bent out of shape because I didn’t post how awesome the JL is. I think it is going to be awesome and I can’t wait to check one out in person. I just feel like it might lose some of the “cool” or “unique” factor. I’m not saying anything negative about the vehicle itself.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Ugh....of course you do. It’s 2018 and everyone is offended.

The soccer mom reference isnt directed towards women specifically. I actually find it hot seeing a woman in a Jeep. :)

It’s referring to the yuppy crowd. The mom that picks the $45,000 4 wheel drive Off road vehicle to take their kids to soccer practice because their neighbor got a new suv. :)
So it's only women who choose the vehicle for reasons you don't approve of.

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Anyway, the whole "I think the new generation isn't a real Jeep" motif is so 1986. You're decades late to that party: just ask CJ owners about YJs, or YJ owners about TJs, or...

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
If you think 33" tires, high flares, suspension improvements, lower crawl ratio, better approach, departure, and breakover angles, and better drive trane are all soccer mom improvements, well....then the soccer mom must be like a Russian female wrestler, with hair on her back.

I didn't even mention a more aggressive looking front end and a folding windshield. This thing is more Jeep than a JK, and I dearly LOVE my JK.

Correct... and OP I’ll add, it’s not just as capable off-road, by all reports it’s better.

OP
OP

JKMIKE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lol. Okay, sorry Mac. I like the Wrangler. Feel better?

You missed the point. Forget it. Go find something else to be offended by.

OP
OP

JKMIKE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
I used “mom” as an example. It’s really the yuppy crowd.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I'll go back to your original point then and ignore the women bashing.

JKs are a terrible aesthetic. They took all the character out of the vehicle. Flat hoods, square grilles. Listen to Mark Allen talk about the JL design going back to classic Jeep roots, and it's clear he means "don't make it look like a JK".

I think the JLs are gorgeous. No longer do you have to add the stupid angry grille to make the vehicle look anything other than boring.
Sponsored