Sponsored

Did the Wranger Unlimited lose it’s cool with the JL?

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
Sorry Steve, didn't mean to be snarky, just wasn't following your comment on whether or not you think the new JL is cool or not. Keep posting, but would like to know if you think it's cool enough to buy one.
Sorry, I teach 8th graders so my sarcasm antennas are always finely tuned. No offense taken.

I love the new JL. Wife liked the JK but since our next purchase will be driven by her the next few years, followed by my teenage son when he's old enough, she had to buy into the idea. Couldn't swing the JK because of its on road compromises, but as far as I've read the new JL is much more civilized. That makes it a much easier sell to the sig other.

So yes I think the JL is awesome and I hope to be ordering a JLU once the Ocean Blue is available.

Matthew/E36, speaking of rarity my current DD might be pretty rare but I don't have production numbers to back that up. It's a '14 BMW 435i coupe, Alpine white with a Fox red interior and 6MT transmission and M Sport. The original owner had to special order the manual. I've only ever seen one other like it in the wild.
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The Wrangler is and has been the cheaper G Wagon for some time now. Hence why yuppies love it. They buy in to the marketing portraying their selves that they are not a typical Mini Van or Tahoe driver, they are out doorsie and fun.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The JL will be my first Wrangler.

As soon as I take delivery, I will start hiking, biking, fishing, skiing, rock climbing, kayaking, surfing, paddle boarding, camping, snowshoeing, curling, hang gliding and parachuting....

...or just sit on the couch and watch sports as I usually do on weekends.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
The Wrangler is and has been the cheaper G Wagon for some time now. Hence why yuppies love it. They buy in to the marketing portraying their selves that they are not a typical Mini Van or Tahoe driver, they are out doorsie and fun.
Coke doesn't sell just a drink, nor does Jeep sell just a vehicle. Jeep sells the idea of adventure, to people who will actually use the vehicle to have adventure, and to risk averse people who just want the illusion of adventure. Probably more of the latter these days. But at least with people buying, that has helped Jeep to still product a ladder frame live axle open top utility-type vehicle. So maybe it is a win/win (other than the upward price pressures.)

Sponsored

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
The JL will be my first Wrangler.

As soon as I take delivery, I will start hiking, biking, fishing, skiing, rock climbing, kayaking, surfing, paddle boarding, camping, snowshoeing, curling, hang gliding and parachuting....

...or just sit on the couch and watch sports as I usually do on weekends.
Luckily your Wrangler parked outside shows your neighbors you have at least tried to get off the couch. :like:

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 wrangler , 2021 wrangler on the way
A lot of the die hards thought they jumped the shark going to the four door. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. It was a bad ass looking 4 wheel drive vehicle for the winter that I could take the top and doors off in the summer and it was big enough to actually put stuff. Even though that was the start of the grocery getter, it didn’t seem like it. It still looked and felt rugged enough.

I feel like the improvements they made were all to make it more geared towards the soccer moms. It may be just as capable off road but I feel like the tweaks they did made it look softer and more like a typical suv. I would have liked a beefier look to it like they did when they came out with the JK.

I don’t blame them...it’s where the money is and it will probably sell better then the JK...but I would put money on it that you will see mostly moms driving this around. I don’t think it will stand out like Wranglers once did.
The JL is the supposed to be the most rugged Jeep to roll off the assembly line yet . I think you are wayyyyyy off on your assessment.