Did the Wranger Unlimited lose it’s cool with the JL?

Snerf

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
We're buying our JLUR specifically as a mall crawler. It will be a 3rd car safely parked in the garage where it will stay if the weather is bad. We're only getting the upgraded soft-top, and I'm even thinking of taking that out.

Our objective was to get a safe convertible that could compete with all the SUVs (we have two as daily drivers) and trucks. When we started looking @ Jeep, it didn't make any sense, at least from an investment perspective, to get anything less than the Rubicon. We definitely weren't interested in the other models that seem to be beefed up Subarus. (That is, I would just get the Ascent if I was looking for a comfortable, quiet AWD.)

We'll probably keep the Jeep at least 10-15 years; if history is any guide, it should have a really good re-sale value, especially in excellent condition. In the meantime, it will be a great open-air car to cruise coastal OC and maybe, just maybe take out to some (graded) dirt roads in the desert.

Advertisement

ThirtyOne

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2005 Jeep Liberty
I'm going to make people take their shoes off before they get in my Wrangler. I'm not even going to drive it over speed bumps. I'm also going to put little watermelon scented candles in it. I'm going to fill a USB drive with my Kenny G collection and blast it on my Alpine speakers. There's nothing any of you can do to stop me.

Indio

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
We're buying our JLUR specifically as a mall crawler. It will be a 3rd car safely parked in the garage where it will stay if the weather is bad. We're only getting the upgraded soft-top, and I'm even thinking of taking that out.

Our objective was to get a safe convertible that could compete with all the SUVs (we have two as daily drivers) and trucks. When we started looking @ Jeep, it didn't make any sense, at least from an investment perspective, to get anything less than the Rubicon. We definitely weren't interested in the other models that seem to be beefed up Subarus. (That is, I would just get the Ascent if I was looking for a comfortable, quiet AWD.)

We'll probably keep the Jeep at least 10-15 years; if history is any guide, it should have a really good re-sale value, especially in excellent condition. In the meantime, it will be a great open-air car to cruise coastal OC and maybe, just maybe take out to some (graded) dirt roads in the desert.
You might be better off with a Sport S or Sahara version, unless there is some feature you will use that is only available on the Rubicon version.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUS Ocean Blue, '15 BMW X1, '14 BMW 435i Coupe 6MT, '11 Pathfinder 4X4, '17 Chevy Volt, '56 Chevy Nomad, '14 BMW G650GS Sertao (yes I have a problem)
Sorry Steve, didn't mean to be snarky, just wasn't following your comment on whether or not you think the new JL is cool or not. Keep posting, but would like to know if you think it's cool enough to buy one.
Sorry, I teach 8th graders so my sarcasm antennas are always finely tuned. No offense taken.

I love the new JL. Wife liked the JK but since our next purchase will be driven by her the next few years, followed by my teenage son when he's old enough, she had to buy into the idea. Couldn't swing the JK because of its on road compromises, but as far as I've read the new JL is much more civilized. That makes it a much easier sell to the sig other.

So yes I think the JL is awesome and I hope to be ordering a JLU once the Ocean Blue is available.

Matthew/E36, speaking of rarity my current DD might be pretty rare but I don't have production numbers to back that up. It's a '14 BMW 435i coupe, Alpine white with a Fox red interior and 6MT transmission and M Sport. The original owner had to special order the manual. I've only ever seen one other like it in the wild.

Vegas_Sirk

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The Wrangler is and has been the cheaper G Wagon for some time now. Hence why yuppies love it. They buy in to the marketing portraying their selves that they are not a typical Mini Van or Tahoe driver, they are out doorsie and fun.

Jeepsterfreak

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The JL will be my first Wrangler.

As soon as I take delivery, I will start hiking, biking, fishing, skiing, rock climbing, kayaking, surfing, paddle boarding, camping, snowshoeing, curling, hang gliding and parachuting....

...or just sit on the couch and watch sports as I usually do on weekends.

Indio

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
The Wrangler is and has been the cheaper G Wagon for some time now. Hence why yuppies love it. They buy in to the marketing portraying their selves that they are not a typical Mini Van or Tahoe driver, they are out doorsie and fun.
Coke doesn't sell just a drink, nor does Jeep sell just a vehicle. Jeep sells the idea of adventure, to people who will actually use the vehicle to have adventure, and to risk averse people who just want the illusion of adventure. Probably more of the latter these days. But at least with people buying, that has helped Jeep to still product a ladder frame live axle open top utility-type vehicle. So maybe it is a win/win (other than the upward price pressures.)

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
The JL will be my first Wrangler.

As soon as I take delivery, I will start hiking, biking, fishing, skiing, rock climbing, kayaking, surfing, paddle boarding, camping, snowshoeing, curling, hang gliding and parachuting....

...or just sit on the couch and watch sports as I usually do on weekends.
Luckily your Wrangler parked outside shows your neighbors you have at least tried to get off the couch. :like:

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara, C-182 Skylane
Sorry, I teach 8th graders so my sarcasm antennas are always finely tuned. No offense taken.

I love the new JL. Wife liked the JK but since our next purchase will be driven by her the next few years, followed by my teenage son when he's old enough, she had to buy into the idea. Couldn't swing the JK because of its on road compromises, but as far as I've read the new JL is much more civilized. That makes it a much easier sell to the sig other.

So yes I think the JL is awesome and I hope to be ordering a JLU once the Ocean Blue is available.

Matthew/E36, speaking of rarity my current DD might be pretty rare but I don't have production numbers to back that up. It's a '14 BMW 435i coupe, Alpine white with a Fox red interior and 6MT transmission and M Sport. The original owner had to special order the manual. I've only ever seen one other like it in the wild.
Sounds good, I'm going with black but I think the ocean blue will be beautiful.

Advertisement

Next Venture Motorsports

Advertisement