longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Hello all, just adding to this. Haven't been on here in a while. Life is crazy both at home and at work, and everywhere else it seems. My wife and I try to take as many vacations as we can every year. Usually we hit the TN are, we just love it up there in the mountains.

However I am sure I don't need to talk too much about the state of the world right now and gas prices. So we decided to look a little closer to home for any off road parks, maybe a BOH trail. Went on the BOH site and low and behold there is the Gulches off road park in SC that is only about 475 miles away for us. I can almost make it up there on 1 tank of gas.

Anyway the point to the story is I booked us a small cabin about 40 miles away from the off road park and we are going up the last week of April. Any day out with mother nature, in the woods, mountains etc. is far better then being at work. But if everything goes to plan I hope to get my next BOH as well. Pretty excited about that.

Also if anyone has been to this park and has any suggestions is always appreciated. I am just a stock Willys so no super crazy trails, but we have lots of fun anyway.

Thanks!

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hello all, just adding to this. Haven't been on here in a while. Life is crazy both at home and at work, and everywhere else it seems. My wife and I try to take as many vacations as we can every year. Usually we hit the TN are, we just love it up there in the mountains.

However I am sure I don't need to talk too much about the state of the world right now and gas prices. So we decided to look a little closer to home for any off road parks, maybe a BOH trail. Went on the BOH site and low and behold there is the Gulches off road park in SC that is only about 475 miles away for us. I can almost make it up there on 1 tank of gas.

Anyway the point to the story is I booked us a small cabin about 40 miles away from the off road park and we are going up the last week of April. Any day out with mother nature, in the woods, mountains etc. is far better then being at work. But if everything goes to plan I hope to get my next BOH as well. Pretty excited about that.

Also if anyone has been to this park and has any suggestions is always appreciated. I am just a stock Willys so no super crazy trails, but we have lots of fun anyway.

Thanks!
You will be fine at Gulches, They seem to have trails for every level and build from what I hear. We need to make it up there some time as well.

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello all. Got here in SC Sunday. Did a little running around yesterday, checking out nearby towns. Today the wife is going to do some running around.

Tomorrow the gulches, whooo hoooooo. Looking forward to it. We are only 19 min. Away. Maybe I can talk the wife into going two days.

Here's a couple pictures of the cabin. Super nice really like it, nice and secluded, lake out back.

IMG_20220426_082040.jpg

IMG_20220426_082059.jpg

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the gulches was a total bust. On the BOH app. It states open. So we load up and get there about 9:30 this morning. Their closed, Ahaaaaaaaa!!!!!! I have been on their website also and I never saw any hours of operation. So we call them and they call us back. The lady says their closed Monday thru Thursday, and that their hours are on faceturd, and Twitter which I don't go on either. She also says their hours are on their website although difficult to find. Anyway, not real happy.

We head over to a war of independence monument I forget the name of. Nice trail through the woods though.

Then we head over to Sumter forest just looking for a place to go off road. There is a dirt road that goes through it but every single turnout is gated, or has a huge mound of dirt blocking it. Again a bust. By this time I am done it's 2 in the afternoon and zero places to off road. We also stopped and spoke to a lot of people about where to off road and it was like speaking a foreign language, they were all clueless.

We're going to try gulches again on Friday but I really wanted to maybe do 2 days and won't be able to because we're out of here on Saturday. Plus our time will be limited because we have to get ready to leave the next morning and they don't even open until 11:00 in the fricken morning. I suppose they have there reasons for being closed most of the week but honestly it sucks. Plus on weekends it will most likely be crowded so not really looking forward to that. I will go, check into the trail, do what we can and hopefully have fun before we have to get out of there, but honestly at this point I can't say if I will ever come back.

Few pic. Of the trail.

Jeep Wrangler JL Did my first BOH trail today. IMG_20220427_100527

Jeep Wrangler JL Did my first BOH trail today. IMG_20220427_100218

Jeep Wrangler JL Did my first BOH trail today. IMG_20220427_100221

Jeep Wrangler JL Did my first BOH trail today. IMG_20220427_100237

Sponsored

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello all. Okay, yesterday we decided to find some place to go. Nothing is close, so we went 2 1/2 hours away to a place called horse pasture road. You do not need 4 wheel drive anywhere on this road. But, it is beautiful, I would give it a highly recommend. The views are fantastic and you can get down to the lake and walk along the beach. It's about 25 miles and a lot of ups and downs. People we meant were all very friendly and really enjoyed ourselves, and the dogs loved it.

IMG_20220428_122444.jpg

IMG_20220428_115936.jpg

IMG_20220428_122730.jpg

IMG_20220428_115735.jpg

IMG_20220428_122520.jpg

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Today, the Gulches, yes I am a beginner, but OMG so excited still and I am back in the cabin. We were the first ones there at 11:15 this morning. Greg and Jenny ( the owners ) were ready to go. They are fantastic, so nice and their daughter in-law Denise also. I was thinking no to the tour, but being a beginner figured it might be a good idea. Greg and Jenny spent almost 2 hours with us and I am forever grateful. I am a pretty good driver but having Greg there to lend advice and encouragement was great. We really only did intermediate trails and I have never been on anything like them. It was a blast although the wife freaked out several times. Lol. But she did like it and had a great time. I have never pushed the limits of the Willy's. Greg asked if I wanted to do this particular trail and said I took a guy up it last week in a Rubicon and he could not make it, and it was dry (today was a little muddy) the reason though was because he wouldn't listen and keep an even throttle like I told him. I said let's do it. The first try was not successful, but it was a ground clearance issue. Once I took a little different path and listened to Greg, kept an even throttle the Willy's climbed right up. Awesome. ( Jenny is posting it on there Facebook page) This is a very serious off road park, 4 low, air down tires, 1st gear pretty much all day. There are some parts on easier trails where you could be in 2 wheel drive but there short so why bother because before you know it you need to be back in 4 low. There are huge rock hills that only a huge series monster with super experienced driver would attempt.

The water holes. We were told " do not go in any water holes" the shallowest one is easily to the middle of the Willy's doors. Denise has pictures and said if you go in one, we will be coming down to recover you. So I took her advise. A little bit before we left a guy with his wife and dog showed up in a bran new beautiful silver stock Rubicon. He opted to not do the tour, or listen about the water holes, he wasn't there an hour and they had to go pull him out, and once out, the Rubicon would not start. Hate to think about what happened there.

The wife took a lot of videos. I will try and figure out how to post a couple. I did not really take a lot of pic.s I was wheeling. Lol.

I learned a lot about just how dam good these wranglers are off road and WOW I am even more impressed with my jeep and it's stock. I fell like I really earned my 2nd badge of honor today. Can't wait for next time.

Oh, just in case anyone is wondering, no, you will not get a bronco down most of these trails. They are wrangler trails Forged by wranglers. A lot were so narrow I barely squeezed by with a half inch clearance by both mirrors.

IMG_20220429_141706.jpg

IMG_20220429_141655.jpg

IMG_20220429_134833.jpg

IMG_20220429_124350.jpg
Sponsored