John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
**UPDATED**

This is why I love this forum. It's fixed. They revoked the contract and issued a new one this morning 12-23-2022.

I don't know why it took so long and/or that they believed we had a part in it, but they admitted on the phone this morning that it was issued in error by their office and that it should have been caught before.

So, done. I wish stuff like this wouldn't have to go this route...putting it on a forum to get it fixed, but I am relieved that it is corrected and reissued.

Cautionary tale--be careful what paperwork you receive. I think we all lapse on that sometimes.

Happy Holidays--

A bit perplexed by this, but yes--Mopar (the real Mopar, not an aftermarket warranty scam) gave away our 7-year extended warranty to somebody else.

Story goes like this:

1) Bought the warranty on 29 January 2021, 1 month 6 days after my wife purchased the JLR as I was then-deployed.

2) Recent service at a dealership....I go to check on the warranty out of the blue and said, "hey--I don't see it on our account....where do I find it?"

3) Service department tells me that we don't have an extended warranty. It's not in our account.

4) I call the MoparServiceContract rep who sold the extended warranty to my wife. He explains that my wife owns the warranty, but it was assigned in error to some dude's VIN in Michigan. I don't know this guy. Maybe they do...they are in Michigan. I am not.

5) Warranty does not show up on her Jeep's account, and according to the salesman, it won't. It most definitely does show up on his account but owned by someone who he doesn't know either.

6) Guy who sold us the contract at MoparServiceContract (This is a Factory Extended Warranty, not an aftermarket warranty) then says "It's going to be tough to fix, there are multiple checks and balances and this looks like it might be some sort of fraud or something".

7) I just retired as a Federal Agent. I assured him that there is no conspiracy on our part to buy an extended warranty for some other dude's Jeep in Michigan.

Should we have checked the VIN earlier? Yes, of course.

Did my wife buy this warranty while I was deployed and she and I trusted that she wouldn't be fleeced or have someone do this on purpose or in error and not try to fix it already? Yes.

Do I think it's awesome that they believe my wife or I might be in some conspiratorial cabal of free 7-year factory extended warranty purchases for strangers? No.

I'm perplexed, a bit pissy about this, and honestly not optimistic that it'll get fixed.

@JeepCares maybe you can weigh in here and do something. Like maybe fix it so that the warranty we bought for our JLR is owned by us? That would be great.

Or should I go higher? Should I call AMEX and give them all our documentation and my recent emails to MoparServiceContract and ask them to open an investigation for fraud and reverse the charge as it was never fulfilled on their end in good faith?

I'm posting PII below because I don't care at this point, and it's no longer my phone number anyways....I just need to show the absurdity of this whole thing which we certainly did not create. We effectively own a 7-year extended warranty for some Jeep owner in Michigan which they apparently picked out of a hat.

Contract info...which has the wrong Jeep on it...which we didn't give them in error--they assigned in error:
Jeep Wrangler JL Did Mopar just steal my warranty? Mopar Extended Warranty Contract

Our actual Jeep's VIN and info, which match that on file with Mopar:

Jeep Wrangler JL Did Mopar just steal my warranty? 1671763416377
Sponsored

Last edited:

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
If you have proof that she gave them the correct VIN, then that means that someone at MoparServiceContract or further down the chain screwed up, and it should be on them to figure out a way to reassign or reissue the warranty to your vehicle.

I'd give them a chance to correct everything, but if they're not willing to fix this ASAP, I'd absolutely report it as a fraudulent purchase to AMEX. I'd also have the incident reported to Mopar or whoever actually underwrites the coverage and be sure to check with another dealer/seller to make sure adding another warranty won't be a problem (because of whatever "fraud" checking the guy mentioned).

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
Wow, did you purchase this over the phone, via email or in person? Just asking cause if you did anything via email showing them your vehicle info such as miles at time of warranty purchase vin number etc youā€™d have proof that itā€™s on them and not you! But aside the vin the in service date didnā€™t match your purchase date, hopefully you have enough on your side to show it was clearly their mistake and they should be able to fix it! Itā€™s a nice little bonus for the other owner lol šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
jaardappel

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Wow, did you purchase this over the phone, via email or in person? Just asking cause if you did anything via email showing them your vehicle info such as miles at time of warranty purchase vin number etc youā€™d have proof that itā€™s on them and not you! But aside the vin the in service date didnā€™t match your purchase date, hopefully you have enough on your side to show it was clearly their mistake and they should be able to fix it! Itā€™s a nice little bonus for the other owner lol šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Phone....not via email. They had our info, confirmed our registration and VIN, and took our $$.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The last six numbers of the VIN are so close, I thought maybe they fat-fingered it- but no, the letters after ā€œXā€ are too different. Something fishy is going on here. They should fix it and if not, yes, talk to AMEX.

Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
As a fellow civil servant, Iā€™m much more inclined to think it was an honest typo or fat fingered mistake than intentional deception.

Go easy, and remember the human on the other side of the line.

Jeep Wrangler JL Did Mopar just steal my warranty? 1671767791497

AndyMcConnell

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR, 2018 Entegra Insignia 44R
Vehicle Showcase
As a fellow civil servant, Iā€™m much more inclined to think it was an honest typo or fat fingered mistake than intentional deception.

I agree that it makes sense it was a mistake, and always be nice to folks when you can, but nothing is worse than immediately jumping to the "it will be hard to fix" crap. Cannot stand dealing with people that do not want to do anything "hard", especially when it is their responsibility. Proper response is "I will sort this out and let you know when it is corrected", followed by letting them know what they need to provide to help resolve it, and what they can do immediately to get any issues resolved with the vehicle while they unf%$k the cluster. Instead, you get defensive avoidance behavior by default from so many workers these days.

Also, I would absolutely call AMEX and let them know you have a major issue, as the longer you wait the more likely you reach a limit on how long between purchase and reporting an issue. IT may already be too long, but discuss it with them and see what they recommend or what the options are if Jeep doesn't correct it for you.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Hmmmmā€¦.you were deployed and your wife ā€œaccidentallyā€ bought some guy an extended warranty?? Is his name Jody by any chance? I think you need to have a sit down with the wifeā€¦

J/k. Obviously that wouldnt make sense unless she bought him the jeep too.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
YIKES at all of this mess. TBHā€¦what they need to do is just apply the warranty to wifeyā€™s VIN and the other customer they gave it to needs to keep theirs (for free).

This should be a lesson learned about being careful when entering VIN information. Also, I think warranties should either be done in person or have some sort of papertrail (email) confirming vital information.

What are they doing??? Thereā€™s nothing ā€œhardā€ about applying a warranty to the VIN because you paid for it. What are they talking about? šŸ™„šŸ˜’

Sponsored

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation

There's a few mistakes in the vin in the middle also and not just one switched number at the end.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If this was an honest mistake, the other party may not even be aware of the extended warranty benefit he was erroneously given.

That said, for a more formal legal process, you might look into the Virginia OAG website. File a Complaint (state.va.us)

OP
OP
jaardappel

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
YIKES at all of this mess. TBHā€¦what they need to do is just apply the warranty to wifeyā€™s VIN and the other customer they gave it to needs to keep theirs (for free).

This should be a lesson learned about being careful when entering VIN information. Also, I think warranties should either be done in person or have some sort of papertrail (email) confirming vital information.

What are they doing??? Thereā€™s nothing ā€œhardā€ about applying a warranty to the VIN because you paid for it. What are they talking about? šŸ™„šŸ˜’
I blame myself for not looking over the paperwork she sent me upon receipt. I was--however--able to conference in during the final call on this and we confirmed details on the Jeep, so the error was done on their end before the charge/receipt was generated. Which understandably I should have caught almost 2 years ago. But it's pretty disheartening to know that they circled their wagons immediately upon receipt of all the documents I sent them proving it's not our Jeep, and that they've been radio-silent since Monday morning. Fully appreciate that folks need holidays in the FCA world too, but you'd think that this would be a "oh crap, we screwed the pooch--fix this quickly and reach back out" deal.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I blame myself for not looking over the paperwork she sent me upon receipt. I was--however--able to conference in during the final call on this and we confirmed details on the Jeep, so the error was done on their end before the charge/receipt was generated. Which understandably I should have caught almost 2 years ago. But it's pretty disheartening to know that they circled their wagons immediately upon receipt of all the documents I sent them proving it's not our Jeep, and that they've been radio-silent since Monday morning. Fully appreciate that folks need holidays in the FCA world too, but you'd think that this would be a "oh crap, we screwed the pooch--fix this quickly and reach back out" deal.
Mannnā€¦.I really hope this gets sorted for yall appropriately. šŸ™šŸ½

yall may never need to use the EW, but man if you ever have anything fail that should be covered by the EW, itā€™s gonna suck if you canā€™t get it replaced for your $100 deductible.

I mean if they see proof of purchase for the EWā€¦either they need to apply it to her account/VIN or refund the payment. Periodt. It really blows my mind how this is being ā€œdraggedā€ like they are confused at what to do? Lol.

situations like this make my brain hurt. šŸ˜’

Reactions: AFD
OP
OP
jaardappel

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Mannnā€¦.I really hope this gets sorted for yall appropriately. šŸ™šŸ½

yall may never need to use the EW, but man if you ever have anything fail that should be covered by the EW, itā€™s gonna suck if you canā€™t get it replaced for your $100 deductible.

I mean if they see proof of purchase for the EWā€¦either they need to apply it to her account/VIN or refund the payment. Periodt. It really blows my mind how this is being ā€œdraggedā€ like they are confused at what to do? Lol.

situations like this make my brain hurt. šŸ˜’
Thanks. It got fixed yesterday after a flurry of phone calls and email messages. But I had to chase this one down--which is no fun. I still don't have a receipt showing that we paid for a warranty associated with our VIN, but on Mopar's service record system it now lists an EW that matches our VIN. So....partial success so far. But I'll take that!
Sponsored