Sponsored

Did last week's JL Wrangler reveal help your decision?

Did last week's reveal of the JLU and this site's renders help you decide to wait for the 2018 Wrang

• Total voters

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
I was on the fence, for I didn't have enough info on the JL to decide. I liked the idea of a fresh, modern designed Jeep, the idea of a 8 speed, LED headlights with halo rings, better axles, and updated creature comforts, etc, but they leaked pictures killed it for me. I don't like the turn signals in the front of the fender, I don't like how the headlights are indented into the grille, I don't like the increased windshield rack, the added length between the fenders and the front door, and the body crease on the side looks off to me. I'm an extremtly visual person, and IMHO, the JKU looks better than the JLU. I'm sure it'll sell well, and it will be great. I hope it sells well and is popular; success of the Jeep brand is a good thing for us Jeep nuts.

That being said, I'm going to pick up either a late 2017 JKU, or a 2018 JKU later this year. The JKU is now 10 years old, so by now any issues have been solved, and tweaks and improvements have been made. Also, all the trouble issues and points and been either found, and the aftermarket has created improvements and fixes for them. Speaking of aftermarket, the JK/JKU is the most customize able SUV/Car ever to be created; the after market is freaking huge, with endless mods and accessories. The 2018 JKU for example, is going to be the best JKU to ever be created. Out of all of the model years for the JK, the 2018 is going to be the most sought after and value model year most likely. (Time will tell) To me, the JKU is better for what I like and want.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I was on the fence, for I didn't have enough info on the JL to decide. I liked the idea of a fresh, modern designed Jeep, the idea of a 8 speed, LED headlights with halo rings, better axles, and updated creature comforts, etc, but they leaked pictures killed it for me. I don't like the turn signals in the front of the fender, I don't like how the headlights are indented into the grille, I don't like the increased windshield rack, the added length between the fenders and the front door, and the body crease on the side looks off to me. I'm an extremtly visual person, and IMHO, the JKU looks better than the JLU. I'm sure it'll sell well, and it will be great. I hope it sells well and is popular; success of the Jeep brand is a good thing for us Jeep nuts.

That being said, I'm going to pick up either a late 2017 JKU, or a 2018 JKU later this year. The JKU is now 10 years old, so by now any issues have been solved, and tweaks and improvements have been made. Also, all the trouble issues and points and been either found, and the aftermarket has created improvements and fixes for them. Speaking of aftermarket, the JK/JKU is the most customize able SUV/Car ever to be created; the after market is freaking huge, with endless mods and accessories. The 2018 JKU for example, is going to be the best JKU to ever be created. Out of all of the model years for the JK, the 2018 is going to be the most sought after and value model year most likely. (Time will tell) To me, the JKU is better for what I like and want.
Looking at different JKs around town this weekend, they already look dated to me, now that I've seen the renderings. Having said that, the Wrangler has always looked dated and classic. I'll hold out primarily for the drive train. I'm with the others on here who want extra pulling power for hills, and reasonable towing capacity without running the rat piss out of a low torque engine.

Shumx2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Rebel
It's all personal preference but I think the JLU looks better than the JKU, even if only by a little bit. I think that's what FCA intended, for the design to not be very different and push people one way or another.

Personally I think most people who don't wait to see all the new content in the JL will later regret their decision. Yes, the JKU is now 10 years old and had plenty of years to "get it right" with tweaks and improvements, but it's also shown its age. There's still the same old issues everyone has been dealing with for so long. The same hard to remove and leaky top, under powered gas guzzling engine, same terrible interior/exterior lighting, and outdated interior. You can argue the aftermarket is so strong partly because of all of these shortcomings.

I think once I get into a JLU it will feel like night and day over the JKU, even if on the surface it looks 95% the same vehicle.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
I don't see newer JKs taking at hit at all. The '07-'11 versions aren't going to fare as well, but the Pentastar and the WA580, albeit dated, is still a decent powertrain. The JL is going to be fresh out of the gate with no aftermarket support and a lot to prove.

I remember when the JK first came out how many aftermarket companies rushed to push out lift kits without really taking the time to research and test and virtually every single one of them was garbage. It took a couple years before companies like AEV, Teraflex, and the like starting kicking out decent suspension components. I suspect the JL won't be any different.

The JK will be fine for a while.
True all previous generation Wranglers currently have really great resale value. But one reason I could potentially see the JK bucking the trend is if the new upgraded Pentastar blows the current one out of the water (I doubt it) or if the turbo 4 cyl or diesel become so popular that it makes the Pentastar appear to be the worst engine choice.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
True all previous generation Wranglers currently have really great resale value. But one reason I could potentially see the JK bucking the trend is if the new upgraded Pentastar blows the current one out of the water (I doubt it) or if the turbo 4 cyl or diesel become so popular that it makes the Pentastar appear to be the worst engine choice.
I agree, but I think it's gonna take some time. FCA always launches new vehicles with a slew of bugs, issues, and problems. The JK had issue after issue well into 2013 and it seems like only now is it finally a fairly refined vehicle... and this is its last year.

Sponsored

Swanky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA Miata
The JK had issue after issue well into 2013 and it seems like only now is it finally a fairly refined vehicle... and this is its last year.
unless you want the hardtop/doors to not leak which they still havent fixed

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The JL improvement that I like is the structural one- where the outer windshield frame is now part of a true roll cage. The inner glass will fold down easily.
I've seen many pix and videos of roll overs , the windshield collapses into driver/ passenger compartment. The JK is greatly improved over its stock predecessors, but I think the JL will be even better with this redesign.
This, the modular hard top, actual headlights, easy clean interior, lighter easy-off doors, there's a host of improvements that really add up.

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
The JL improvement that I like is the structural one- where the outer windshield frame is now part of a true roll cage. The inner glass will fold down easily.
I've seen many pix and videos of roll overs , the windshield collapses into driver/ passenger compartment. The JK is greatly improved over its stock predecessors, but I think the JL will be even better with this redesign.
This, the modular hard top, actual headlights, easy clean interior, lighter easy-off doors, there's a host of improvements that really add up.
I agree, but do we have confirmation of an easy clean interior thats somehow different than the JK ?

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
I agree, but do we have confirmation of an easy clean interior thats somehow different than the JK ?
I would think that an easy clean interior will definitely stay. To me that's one of the features that separates the Wrangler from other Jeeps. And it's an important part of its off-road DNA.

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Agreed the structural changes are for the better. It'll also save some crazies who remove the bar connecting the windshield to the B pillar. Smh.

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
As I noted on another thread, I had been leaning JK based upon finding a JK Rubi Recon at the lowest advertised price I have yet seen in the Denver area. I would have to say that the reveal tilts me back toward the JL, however, although still firmly in the undecided zone. The JL shows promise, but JK is known good. I like the JL grille, hood, bumpers (which do look steel to me based upon the dent in the front bumper of the red JLU), fender flares, but the big unknowns are how it drives and how much more expensive it will be. The JK sets a pretty high standard, IMHO, so the extra cost of the JL needs to be worth it. I'm really glad that Jeep will be continuing production of the JK into 2018, which will give me more time to procrastinate. ;)
Sponsored