Sponsored

Did Jeep Mistakingly Over Price The Wrangler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Has Jeep mistakenly overpriced the new Wrangler?

Granted there always will be people that will buy a Wrangler no matter what... especially the top of the line with every option available.

However for those looking for a low to mid level version gingerly equipped, will the general public be shocked by the pricing? Granted most of us here are diehards and will pay it no matter what, but this is far different from the general public in the coming months and years.

Do you foresee Jeep needing to come out with a lower end version or special addition to further enhance the pricing?
Sponsored

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
Overpriced yes, mistakingly no. Will it be a mistake I think they will loose a portion of there suv customers that just wanted a good 4x4 suv for a good price what sport JKU was. The problem is they price it against other class suv added the “wrangler“ premium. That would be okay if they included other options that others included in standard pricing like LED lights or heated seats.

I done pricing for few products in my career it’s not that easy but the rule is you can always reduce the price but you can’t increase it. Jeep wants to see what they can get for the wrangler and will monitor closely first year sales.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Agree the pricing is not bad...the problem is the list of items that are optional yet should be standard.

Overpriced yes, mistakingly no. Will it be a mistake I think they will loose a portion of there suv customers that just wanted a good 4x4 suv for a good price what sport JKU was. The problem is they price it against other class suv added the “wrangler“ premium. That would be okay if they included other options that others included in standard pricing like LED lights or heated seats

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
I’ve said this before, I think the problem is a lot of their options now come standard in most other vehicles. They increased the price dramatically over the last few years of the JK without really adding anything to the vehicle. So now they increased the JL (deservedly so since they did make the product better) but what they increased it over was a bit high to start.

All this being said I’m currently getting tires at my dealership for my GMC and they have a fully loaded Sierra with off-road package here for 48 and a fully loaded canyon for 42.... so I guess it’s not terribly higher than those prices.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It is high but in 2017 the average price on new vehicles hit $34k. Prices are going up and up and blowing past salaries and inflation to some degree. I imagine in 10 years you'll need to make $150k+ to buy a Jeep. TFL said Jeeps average buyer for the JL (maybe JK, not sure they'd have the numbers for JL) was making $100k. Maybe he said their target, I forget.

The options gating is definitely frustrating. Chevy is even worse about it. You can't get a Colorado with a black dashboard (it's an ugly blue) at all without buying the ZR2, even if you get black leather on the other models. If you buy a Canyon you automatically get it (and it's stitched) but then you're forced into chrome trim and mirror caps unless you get the Midnight edition. Just let me pick my damn colors.

Sponsored

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
Schmeegz the problwith with that is the options like LED become standard in all other vehicles now at the Sahara or Rubi price point. when JK came out in 2012 and released the led option somewhere in 2015 that was new and people will pay. Now paying 50k and don’t get LED or Heated steats or a big lcd screen is a mistake that will cost them sales.

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
Agreed, I personally don’t think a wrangler (even a Rubicon) should ever cost more than a fully loaded full size V8 truck especially w an off-road suspension package. Will it cost them sales? Probably, but will they still make money? Definitely... so do they care? We will see I guess. I am still dead set on gettin one (when blue becomes available) but the longer I’m forced to wait and think about it the more and more I think I’d be better of in a different vehicle at that price point. And I do not make $100k a year (granted in NYC $100k is like ($250k here in Buffalo) so maybe the blue collar off road vehicle is aimed at white collar salaries?

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
White collar would go for a Mercedes GLC at 40k or Audi Q5 or Accura MDX all cheaper and better equipped.

The price of JL will do two things

Hardcore wrangler people will pick up old wranglers especially the JK

Others in the off-road community will jump ship to others like Toyota or Chevy

The ones that could afford or really want one will pick up the JL

It’s like JL become a H2, it was never for off-road use but to show how big of a man you are when you get to the office

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
When I look at similar American Trucks/SUVs they constantly have incentives and can be negotiated well below invoice. If they priced it wrong we will just see more incentives on it. If we wait until 2019 or 2020 we will see for sure and maybe get a much better value.

But I ain't waiting.

mlong003

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I wrote this in a recent post addressing the cost of the JL and cross shopping suggestions...It's interesting to hear similar perspectives above.

-I currently have a 2016 JK (thats had a few issues) and am lovin on the new JL so I've debated a trade in a year or two, however, my same build is going upwards of a 13K+ increase. Around $53K after tax etc. - give or take a few options and dollars. I think that's insane. I wont spend that much-not given my track record with the current model. This is a Wrangler. I understand they've made a hand full of improvements, but that's luxury pricing for pretty basic options on what is standard with most other vehicles today. I'd expect no leaks, rattles, or electrical glitches, with superior handling, performance and capability for that price-along with LEDs and the law required back up camera. I think they'll lose a lot of their following-unless folks stick with a base sport model? Maybe? The JK (in all trim levels) was a fair price for a super fun, capable vehicle that clearly, has been successful (with a few on road compromises).

I am curious to see how JL sales pan out in the first two years...

Cross shopping choices when I bought the JK:
Chevy Colorado
Toyota 4 Runner
Land Rover LR4
Subaru Cross Trek

Sponsored

maxmk8

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Pooper
If the JK is overpriced then the JL is overpriced.
JK had no issues moving 250k units a year with an archaic interior and a 10 year old chassis why should a brand new one cost same, even though it offers updates in every single way.
JL is priced right.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
Maxmk8

Why are you comparing period products from 2006 now? In 2006(update 2012) the JK was not archaic and it definitely was not overpriced. JL is the opposite items that should be standard are optional and MSRP is to high.

Maxmk8 also Jeep Wrangler never got 250k sales a year any of the years and only average about 150k so you’re sources are wrong

Last edited:

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Do you foresee Jeep needing to come out with a lower end version or special addition to further enhance the pricing?

I would not hold your breath, waiting for Jeep to come out with a new Wrangler model, priced lower than a Sport. :facepalm:

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Yeah, the Wrangler is the cash cow for FCA. The pricing markup was intentional. They are probing to see just how high they can go. They can always throw out a factory rebate if the sales start to taper off but I doubt this will happen. They have to throw $4k rebates at the ugly Cherokee so people buy them. They are pretty confident they will sell every one they make. Maybe in a couple years they could start stagnating on dealer lots. I'm guessing the diesel model's price is going to be astronomical.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Exactly that’s is what I was thinking.

Schmeegz the problwith with that is the options like LED become standard in all other vehicles now at the Sahara or Rubi price point. when JK came out in 2012 and released the led option somewhere in 2015 that was new and people will pay. Now paying 50k and don’t get LED or Heated steats or a big lcd screen is a mistake that will cost them sales.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.