Did Jeep managment make a mistake...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I started a thread 'Are the Jls over priced' which appears to be very touchy topic for some... It got me thinking now that Jeep has entered into the price point the JLs are in, Jeep Management should learn from my other vehicles that I am care about like Porsche that offers all features on all models and avoid the packaging games Ford plays with Mustangs (i.e. you should be able to buy LEDs on all models)... give the customer the ability to purchase all the options they want to buy, it makes spending more $$ a lot easier for the customer knowing they are getting exactly what they want...

So did Jeep Management make a mistake by not offering LEDs, Leather, etc on a Sport S? I say yes and encourage them to change their configuration rules. Not familiar enough with Wranglers to know, are their other features like LEDs that should be offered across the models?
Sponsored

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
This is getting so old....
They offer a « base/naked » wrangler because people who want to change every single part of these don’t want to pay for these extra parts they’ll remove anyways, and then 2 (or 3 depending on JL or JLU) pretty loaded trims that people can load even more... Cause if you get a sport and wanna add LEDs, leather, Mud tires... maybe you picked the wrong trim

Last edited:

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Jeep Management should learn from my other vehicles that I am care about like Porsche that offers all features on all models and avoid the packaging games Ford plays with Mustangs
Porsche is hardly the model for packaging flexibility. You can't get an LSD on their $91k+ base Carrera (a feature that's standard on a base $26k pony car), so if you want an LSD you have to step up to the $102k+ Carrera T, which eliminates half the available options and forces several options on you; the full complement of 911 options isn't really available until you get to the Carrera S. Then a feature like adaptive cruise control (that's standard on a $18k Corolla, mind you), is a whopping $2500 option.

All automakers play the 'packaging games', which is fine with me as long as they aren't too egregious about bundling totally unrelated options together (Toyota is notorious for forcing you to get crap like rear seat entertainment to get decent headlights, for instance).

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I started a thread 'Are the Jls over priced' which appears to be very touchy topic for some... It got me thinking now that Jeep has entered into the price point the JLs are in, Jeep Management should learn from my other vehicles that I am care about like Porsche that offers all features on all models and avoid the packaging games Ford plays with Mustangs (i.e. you should be able to buy LEDs on all models)... give the customer the ability to purchase all the options they want to buy, it makes spending more $$ a lot easier for the customer knowing they are getting exactly what they want...

So did Jeep Management make a mistake by not offering LEDs, Leather, etc on a Sport S? I say yes and encourage them to change their configuration rules. Not familiar enough with Wranglers to know, are their other features like LEDs that should be offered across the models?
I agree it would be nice for the consumer, if all options were available a la carte. For example, I am looking at the base Sport. Very happy the up-rated rear axle is available as an option on the base Sport. I wouldn't mind also leather seats - mainly because my wife wants them. But to get leather seats, I think the Sahara/Rubicon versions are required. So basically, leather seats would cost me $1200, plus several thousand more moving up to a Sahara/Rubicon. Which is kind of nuts in terms of me the individual consumer. I am not going to pay that much for leather seats.

Jeep has their reasons for doing it that way. The marketers and bean counters run through all this stuff, and try to determine how they can wring the most money from the consumer. This site probably over-represents people who are willing to accommodate or spend on a JL, because the people here are mostly fans, and have particular things they want in a vehicle. The "just take my money" sort of situation.

For my part, I am not a "just take my money" kind of guy, at all, lol. So I'll get base JLU with cloth seats. Would Jeep have made more money from me, had they offered leather seats on the base JLU model? Perhaps. They might have gotten an extra $1200 for leather seats from my purchase! But maybe in their calculations, they think offering leather seats on the base model would cost them Sahara/Rubicon sales, and so in the bigger picture they would get less money.

Given the overall price of the new JL having increased when compared to the JK, it will be interesting to find out the price elasticity of the Wrangler. Meaning in this case, just how responsive is demand to price increase. Overall increase in price plus having to pay extra for some items that people now might consider standard type items, can results in a significant increase in vehicle cost and some sticker shock. Again people here might just buy anyway, because they are fans, and see the Wrangler as the only open top utility 4x4 around. But the general public who are more interested in other aspects, might simply move to a different vehicle, when encountering a price increase. Time will tell ...

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
You guys do know how much more complex and wasteful the manufacturing process would be if they offered every option a la carte...right? You guys know how mass production works, right? You build as many of the same thing in as similar configurations as you can to make the process more efficient, thus reducing costs the entire way through the production line.

No need to go into detail on all this but think what it takes to build hundreds of thousands of something at scale. It's not just about squeezing every last dime from someone by forcing them to buy options they don't necessarily need. The reality of it is it would probably cost quite a bit MORE to build them the way you guys think is so easy to do.

Sponsored

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
You guys do know how much more complex and wasteful the manufacturing process would be if they offered every option a la carte...right? You guys know how mass production works, right? You build as many of the same thing in as similar configurations as you can to make the process more efficient, thus reducing costs the entire way through the production line.

No need to go into detail on all this but think what it takes to build hundreds of thousands of something at scale. It's not just about squeezing every last dime from someone by forcing them to buy options they don't necessarily need. The reality of it is it would probably cost quite a bit MORE to build them the way you guys think is so easy to do.
Yup, exactly !
And they end up making much more profit on a stock unit bought on a lot, than on custom orders as most of us do... but again it evens out for them, we don’t mind waiting, but not everybody would wanna wait 2 months just because they’d rather have leather over cloth...

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator

I don't doubt it in some cases. But that is not the only consideration. For example, on the base Sport the consumer can elect to have the $595 up-rated rear axle. But on the Sahara, to add the up-rated rear axle the cost is $595, plus an additional $895 for required more costly wheels. I doubt that is due to the manufacturing run situation you suggested. Rather if I had to speculate, probably Jeep suspects the Sahara buyer might have more cash to spend, and unlike the Sport they already offer more expensive wheel options on the Sahara, so they figure hey lets try to get more out of this axle upgrade thing.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Who sells more cheeseburgers, McDonald's or Red Robin? Why?

McDonald's does, because they're affordable. The constant price increase on the stone age simple Jeep Wrangler is not sustainable long term. The bubble will eventually burst, leaving them with no room to grow. It's bad business. Greed eventually kills.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
We would end up paying more. Look at what comes standard on the Rubicon. It is a great value relative to a base model. If you added all the features a la carte it would be a lot more expensive.

The great thing about the Wrangler is the aftermarket is so active. For example, you can get leather in a base Sport through Katzkin.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I don't doubt it in some cases. But that is not the only consideration. For example, on the base Sport the consumer can elect to have the $595 up-rated rear axle. But on the Sahara, to add the up-rated rear axle the cost is $595, plus an additional $895 for required more costly wheels. I doubt that is due to the manufacturing run situation you suggested. Rather if I had to speculate, probably Jeep suspects the Sahara buyer might have more cash to spend, and unlike the Sport they already offer more expensive wheel options on the Sahara, so they figure hey lets try to get more out of this axle upgrade thing.
That's not true. It is just a bug in the configurator. That has been confirmed by our dealer guy.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.