Sponsored

Did Jeep extend the range of the 4xe for 2022?

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Just curious did Jeep extended the range of the 4xe for 2022? I read somewhere online that they did bit I didn't see anything official on Jeeps website.
Sponsored

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
Nope. It's a difference between European and US testing.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I feel like 22 miles on all electric is kinda garbage. At least for me it is. I live out in the country and the closest store is 18 miles.

How do other electric vehicles have 200 miles+? I get its a hybrid but common man. 22 miles is weak.

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
How do other electric vehicles have 200 miles+?
The short answer is that they're efficient aerodynamic sedans, while the Wrangler is a Giant, Heavy Brick, with all the aerodynamic grace of a drag-strip-braking-parachute.

My Nissan Leaf gets about roughly 3.5 miles /kWh of battery capacity, but the 4xe gets only about 1.5 miles /kWh of battery - less than half.

Before we get good long range fully electric Jeeps and trucks for towing, we're going to need to stuff 200+ kWh battery capacity into them. So it's going to be a couple more years.

EDIT: The Hummer pickup, which is announced but not shipping, claims a 200kWh battery. but it's priced safely over $100k, and it weighs, wait for it: over 9000lbs. Imagine off-roading a 9000lb wrangler šŸ˜³...

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I feel like 22 miles on all electric is kinda garbage. At least for me it is. I live out in the country and the closest store is 18 miles.

How do other electric vehicles have 200 miles+? I get its a hybrid but common man. 22 miles is weak.
Itā€™s all battery. 17 kwh. To put it into perspective, itā€™s running max on a 120 circuit for 13 hours or so. The high end Tesla has 100 kWh. Thatā€™s your range difference. Itā€™s gonna take more space than there is under the rear seat to put 5x+ the amount of battery in a wrangler.

Last edited:

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Wrangler PHEV is primarily ICE with an itty bitty battery.

Sponsored

pslights

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe?

the Toyota Prius prime (phev) has an electric range of 25 miles, Volvo phev has range of about 20. So I think for a phev the range is in-line with others. I think therav4 gets 42 so that one is really good. Now when the full electric wrangler comes out it must have at least a range of 260

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase

The fact that itā€™s a hybrid is the whole point. Sacrificing space and weight that could potentially get it closer to 200 to 300 miles of range in order to stuff an ICE and transmission in there. So you go far fewer miles on electric only, but have a nice little ICE to eliminate range anxiety.

The reality is that Stellantis isnā€™t ready to make an all-electric Wrangler so they went half-way. Totally rational business decision. As a previous poster already noted, its range is in line with other PHEVs.

The nearest store to you is 18 miles so I take it you do a lot of long, 50-60+ mile days? The diesel is supposed to be your jeep of choice! Itā€™s perfect for that. A buddy i work with commutes about 120 miles a day and got a diesel jeep for exactly that reason. The 4xE is for people with 8-10 mile (or less) commutes.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
The fact that itā€™s a hybrid is the whole point. Sacrificing space and weight that could potentially get it closer to 200 to 300 miles of range in order to stuff an ICE and transmission in there. So you go far fewer miles on electric only, but have a nice little ICE to eliminate range anxiety.

The reality is that Stellantis isnā€™t ready to make an all-electric Wrangler so they went half-way. Totally rational business decision. As a previous poster already noted, its range is in line with other PHEVs.

The nearest store to you is 18 miles so I take it you do a lot of long, 50-60+ mile days? The diesel is supposed to be your jeep of choice! Itā€™s perfect for that. A buddy i work with commutes about 120 miles a day and got a diesel jeep for exactly that reason. The 4xE is for people with 8-10 mile (or less) commutes.
My issue with the diesel is all the emissions crap and things that may go wrong. Also how expensive maintenance is.. Believe me I would love to have a diesel if it wasn't for that. Great power and gas mileage.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
My issue with the diesel is all the emissions crap and things that may go wrong. Also how expensive maintenance is.. Believe me I would love to have a diesel if it wasn't for that. Great power and gas mileage.
Canā€™t argue with that. Diesels have gotten super complicated since ... 2007 ish?

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
PHEV aren't exactly simple mechanical machines.
Sponsored