Did Jeep add Windshield Wiper De-Icer?

JLUR4xe

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ SE, 2021 JLUR 4xe (ordered 2/2)
I was looking at the 2021 Owners Manual and it mentions the following on page 63. I looked in the 2020 Manual and it was not present. It appears it was added for some reason but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Windshield Wiper De-Icer — If Equipped

The windshield wiper de-icer is a heating element located at the base of the windshield. It operates automatically once the following conditions are met:
  • Activation By Front Defrost The wiper de-icer activates automatically during a cold weather manual start with full defrost, and when the ambient temperature is below 33°F (0.6°C).  Activation By Rear Defrost The wiper de-icer activates automatically when the Rear Defrost is operating and the ambient temperature is below 33°F (0.6°C).
  • Activation By Remote Start Operation When the Remote Start is activated and the outside ambient temperature is less than 33°F (0.6°C) the windshield wiper de-icer is activated. Exiting remote start will resume its previous operation, except if the Windshield Wiper De-Icer is active. If the Windshield Wiper De-Icer is active, the timer and operation will continue.
Sponsored

Raz65

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
I was looking at the 2021 Owners Manual and it mentions the following on page 63. I looked in the 2020 Manual and it was not present. It appears it was added for some reason but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

The windshield wiper de-icer is a heating element located at the base of the windshield. It operates automatically once the following conditions are met:
  • Activation By Front Defrost The wiper de-icer activates automatically during a cold weather manual start with full defrost, and when the ambient temperature is below 33°F (0.6°C).  Activation By Rear Defrost The wiper de-icer activates automatically when the Rear Defrost is operating and the ambient temperature is below 33°F (0.6°C).
  • Activation By Remote Start Operation When the Remote Start is activated and the outside ambient temperature is less than 33°F (0.6°C) the windshield wiper de-icer is activated. Exiting remote start will resume its previous operation, except if the Windshield Wiper De-Icer is active. If the Windshield Wiper De-Icer is active, the timer and operation will continue.
Damn I hope this means my 2021 Willys will have it . I ordered the cold weather pkg. Have to wait and see I guess. Just checked the Canadian site and it's in the manual as well.

Last edited:

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
That would be soo cool if it was true!

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Wonder if they can retro fit older models, that defrost issue is a problem!

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It would be nice to have this feature, but unfortunately I believe that this feature is not a Wrangler feature. A lot (if not most) of the owners manual is standardized across the range of models...so it’s more likely that it’s something found on a Cherokee or other model...

Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
See if someone that has a 2018-2020 JL in their owners manual and see if it's in there to see if it's just standardized page

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not in the 2018 owners manual...so hopefully it’s not one of the standard pages...

OP
OP

JLUR4xe

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ SE, 2021 JLUR 4xe (ordered 2/2)
It appears that this is at least an option on the Cherokee. It very well could be just a standardized page that was copied from one owners manual to another. I have looked in the online PDF version of the 2020 JL and it wasn't there. It just seems odd that it made it into the 2021 JL manual now as it appears to have been available on Cherokee since 2014.

Ed Pursell

First Name
-Ed-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys- 3.6 Pentastar,8 speed Auto, Selec-Trac transfer case
Occupation
Supervisor- MRO Buyer Maintenance- Pet food Mfg.
I have a new 2021 Willys delivered in November , just looked at the paper 2021 manual, I see nothing about the op post on heated blades/de-icer, and yes my manual is for the 2021 JL.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer

That text is in my 2021 OM as well. My Rubicon has all of the electronics that were available. However, it does not have wiper de-icer is a heating element located at the base of the windshield.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Page 63 of my 2021 Owner's Manual does have the same text as what @JLUR4xe mentions in his post.

A close examination of my windscreen didn't reveal any heating element(s). As I have a Sport, I'd have been surprised if my vehicle included that particular feature.

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
i had it in my 2016 renegade, it was nice sonetimes. It sometimes caused ice when it turned off and was another thing to make the windshield more expensive so don't really miss it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I admire those who willingly read the owner’s manual.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I admire those who willingly read the owner’s manual.
It's a big bite, to be sure.

That said, the casual visitor to this site could be forgiven for thinking he stumbled on a computer forum, and not a vehicle enthusiast site, when perusing some of the thread titles on the Tech page.

New owners will be well served to acclimate themselves with the Wrangler's many technology encumbrances. It starts with opening the secular bible in the glove box.
Sponsored